Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 10:35:37 AM EDT
I pulled out one of my rifles that I rarely shoot or handle to oil and inspect and noticed a slight amount of rust on the stainless steel barrel. Lo and behold my other rifles have the same. I don't have a large safe, it's more like a cabinet. A stack on 16 gun combo lock thing. It's not that large but it's good for my needs.

I currently have a stack on hanging dissectant pack that isn't worth a damn otherwise this rust wouldn't be here. I'm considering a goldenrod but I don't want to spend the keish w/o you opinions on it. What do you guys use to deal with this?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
A goldenrod works as long as the cabinet prevents much airflow. The rod heats up the air inside to prevent condensation and rust, but if the door doesnt seal well (most of the low end stack on cabinets dont have any type of door seal and numerous holes in the sheet metal) the warm air will just flow out and be replaced by cooler air defeating the rod.

I Have and use a goldenrod in my safe, located in my garage and never had any problems with rust. And my safe is a 72X46 monster...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I currently have a stack on hanging dissectant pack that isn't worth a damn otherwise this rust wouldn't be here. I'm considering a goldenrod but I don't want to spend the keish w/o you opinions on it. What do you guys use to deal with this?  
View Quote

Not the electronic one, correct? You do reactivate it, right?

I don't put too much stock in the plug-in/battery powered solutions... with the exception of the Golden Rod.

For desiccants, I use these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1435722362/hydrosorbent-silica-gel-desiccant-dehumidifier-box?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Have two in my Liberty Fatboy Jr (the larger one was in my previous long gun safe, and the smaller one was in a small safe that I had two handguns in). I reactivate them probably every two months, but check the color card periodically.

I also run a 24" Golden Rod at the foot of my safe. As said, it raises the temperature to reduce corrosion. I had rust issues with my older safe (POS sheet metal one, with only that one desiccant), but not any with this. I recommend running multiple types of solutions, and for desiccants, go a little bigger and keep up on it.

I also suggest the Liberty Safelert. Have the app on my iPhone, and it gives me an alert when something is off. Temperture too high or low, sends an alert. Humidity too high or low, sends an alert. I can even tell if my internet is out, as it sends a loss of communication alert... but it is nice to have movement/door open alerts, as well (I have an alarm system, but this is just added piece of mind). You want to get an idea what the condition is inside the safe... just log on the app. Right now, my safe reads at 77, with 44% humidity (from testing with other sources, the humidity sensor runs about 3% higher than it is, but also mounted in a different location that my on-demand display within the safe; temperature is usually within the degree).
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't put too much stock in the plug-in/battery powered solutions... with the exception of the Golden Rod.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1435722362/hydrosorbent-silica-gel-desiccant-dehumidifier-box?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Have two in my Liberty Fatboy Jr (the larger one was in my previous long gun safe, and the smaller one was in a small safe that I had two handguns in). I reactivate them probably every two months, but check the color card periodically.

I also run a 24" Golden Rod at the foot of my safe. As said, it raises the temperature to reduce corrosion. I had rust issues with my older safe (POS sheet metal one, with only that one desiccant), but not any with this. I recommend running multiple types of solutions, and for desiccants, go a little bigger and keep up on it.

I also suggest the Liberty Safelert. Have the app on my iPhone, and it gives me an alert when something is off. Temperture too high or low, sends an alert. Humidity too high or low, sends an alert. I can even tell if my internet is out, as it sends a loss of communication alert... but it is nice to have movement/door open alerts, as well (I have an alarm system, but this is just added piece of mind). You want to get an idea what the condition is inside the safe... just log on the app. Right now, my safe reads at 77, with 44% humidity (from testing with other sources, the humidity sensor runs about 3% higher than it is, but also mounted in a different location that my on-demand display within the safe; temperature is usually within the degree).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it's the rechargeable stack on electronic dissectant pack. It has a "meter" in the middle which is just a spot that contains the little dissectant balls that is visible. It turns from blue(charged) to pink(needs charging). In the beginning it would last nearly 2-3 weeks. Now I find myself recharging almost weekly.

My cabinet does allow a good amount of airflow as it is not a higher end safe that most people are familiar with so perhaps the stack on dissectant pack is absorbing humidity from my apartment. Due to personal circumstances I cannot upgrade to an actual safe at this time. It seems my only option is to prevent this again by leaving heavy coats of CLP on the rifles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe some weather stripping around the door to help limit air flow  would help.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Put a humidity sensor with an alarm in the safe. Dessicant, heat source, door seal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top