Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 7:27:48 PM EDT

Can anybody tell me why they would put a 212 degree fusible link inside a safe door with a cable going to a pin to lock it down permanently?

If there is a fire why would you need to lock down the safe in this manner, or is it there to somehow prevent torching it open?

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an answer, but I'm curious why you ask?  Who's safe is that?

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It's mine.  I just change the lock on another safe from mechanical dial to electronic and found that if I don't lock it right away I will have to enter the code again when it comes time to lock it.  My other two safes don't do that and I can easily lock the bolts after the electronic lock has timed out and locked.  So I took the panel off of one of the others to see what was different and would allow it to be turned to the lock position after timeout, and I saw the link.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing to do with a fire!

Think about someone using a cutting torch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nothing to do with a fire!

Think about someone using a cutting torch.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure.  The one I just changed the lock on doesn't have that, so I was curious.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
from the photo the steel doesnt look that thick

and I would think the owner knows where the pin is or at least smart enough to write down the measurements
if it did get torched, basically its ruined anyways if they couldnt steal anything inside thats a plus

I would then just plasma cut where the pin was, to open then take out contents
and get another safe

I wonder if that link is just a soldered connection
could probably make one yourself easily
wont take much heat to activate it
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

from the photo the steel doesnt look that thick

and I would think the owner knows where the pin is or at least smart enough to write down the measurements

if it did get torched, basically its ruined anyways if they couldnt steal anything inside thats a plus

I would then just plasma cut where the pin was, to open then take out contents

and get another safe

I wonder if that link is just a soldered connection

could probably make one yourself easily

wont take much heat to activate it
View Quote
The door is 3/8".  I actually took more pictures and measurements because I was thinking that if it did somehow get "tripped" I would at least be able to help out the locksmith if they didn't already know.  I plan on doing the same with my other one (not the one with the new lock) now as well (take pictures and measurements).  And I think I'm going to replace the safe that I just put the new lock on.  It isn't near as heavy duty as the other two.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
It is indeed what others have said.  Probably won't be any problems, but they shouldn't have run it through two rough edges the way they did.  Enough use and abuse, and the wire may wear through.

The door is 3/8". I actually took more pictures and measurements because I was thinking that if it did somehow get "tripped" I would at least be able to help out the locksmith if they didn't already know. I plan on doing the same with my other one (not the one with the new lock) now as well (take pictures and measurements). And I think I'm going to replace the safe that I just put the new lock on. It isn't near as heavy duty as the other two.  
View Quote

Any competent safe tech should already have that information.  If not from his own records, then from the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It is indeed what others have said.  Probably won't be any problems, but they shouldn't have run it through two rough edges the way they did.  Enough use and abuse, and the wire may wear through.

View Quote
This particular safe is about 18 years old and the cable looked good, so hopefully I won't have any problems. I doesn't move when the bolts are actuated, so I think it will be fine.   I appreciate everybody's help.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#9]

It looks like it would be easy enough to disable or remove it if you don't want to worry about it.  A cotter pin through one of the spare holes in the locking pin would do it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It looks like it would be easy enough to disable or remove it if you don't want to worry about it.  A cotter pin through one of the spare holes in the locking pin would do it.
View Quote

I thought about that, but I'm just going to leave it. I know that no safe is 100% burglar proof, but it is just a bit of added security.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top