Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 1:58:47 PM EDT
Thanks to the Amazon score thread I was able to " upgrade" our wireless uniden camera system to a wireless astrotel system with dvr. We really need wireless cameras due to locations of the cameras themselves.

Setup was easy as the cameras pretty much replaced the uniden one's we already had up and running.

My problem is the Astrotel 2.4 wireless camera's eat up all the 2.4 signals in the area and block my internet router.

I have paid the cameras even though they connected automatically, I have tried changing the channels on my router and wifi booster and still really now luck. The company claims to not have heard of this problem.

I have a netgear r7000 ac router and an securafi almond booster, so my internet equipment is not old and outdated.

I am really at a loss on what to do other then send the system back. Any ideas?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a netgear r7000 ac router and an securafi almond booster, so my internet equipment is not old and outdated.

I am really at a loss on what to do other then send the system back. Any ideas?
Thanks
View Quote

Not familiar with the Astrotel, but there is extremely limited spectrum in the 2.4Ghz range. There are only 11 channels total available in the US. Devices that use spread spectrum, which this camera probably does, use 4 or more channels. Many cordless phones, baby monitors, etc, use 2.4Ghz as well. It is a very crowded band.

5Ghz has a lot more room, so you could run 5Ghz for your WiFi in your house (probably need a new router though). This assumes all your devices support 5Ghz.

If you stick with 2.4Ghz your wireless router and camera should be set at either 1,6, or 11 (assuming the camera can be set to a specific channel). No other channels should be used. This is because 802.11n usually uses 20Mhz of bandwidth (although some routers can be set even wider), so if you set it on channel 6, for example, remember that is just the centerpoint. Your transmissions will be actually be on channels 4,5,6,7 and 8. Each channel is only 5Mhz wide, but you want a 2-2.5Mhz separation between your transmissions and other transmissions, hence why 5 channels worth of bandwidth is used. Hope this helps.

Also, not being familiar with securafi, I assume it is being used as a wireless repeater. They usually use a different set of channels than your router. They would receive on channel 6 for example, and may repeat on channel 1. This will burn up even more channels in your house, giving you less spectrum for the cameras to use without interference. Your laptop.tablet would tune to the channel with the best strength.

---Aaron

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#2]
A little more information and I or someone else may be able to help you.

Do you have any old 80211g computers, ipads etc powered up in your network?
Is the internet router a 802.11g 2.4 GHz router? In other words, is it kinda old?
The r7000ac router is 5 GHz only.
The booster is 802.11n; (both 2.4 and 5 GHz).

How do you have the routers (and subnets) configured? Just an overview.

Regarding the cameras, please post a link to the "score" thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little more information and I or someone else may be able to help you.

Do you have any old 80211g computers, ipads etc powered up in your network?
Is the internet router a 802.11g 2.4 GHz router? In other words, is it kinda old?
The r7000ac router is 5 GHz only.
The booster is 802.11n; (both 2.4 and 5 GHz).

How do you have the routers (and subnets) configured? Just an overview.

Regarding the cameras, please post a link to the "score" thread.
View Quote

I don't know much about this stuff, but my setup has worked well for me for about a year now, until the new cameras.

I have the Netgear R7000  It is a dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz. router.  It is setup to bridge from the router that time warner supplies.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422200600&sr=8-1&keywords=r7000&pebp=1422200626252&peasin=B00F0DD0I6

Out in my  "garage" rec area about 60 feet from the house is my Securifi Almond   setup as a wifi extender.  My wife's Imac still connects directly to the house router and usually does not need to used the extender. My laptop and xbox one has to use the extender signal. The signal is strong enough that I can watch Netflix and play online on my xbox without any problems.
http://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almond-Touchscreen-Wireless-Extender/dp/B0087NZ31S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422200771&sr=8-1&keywords=almond+router&pebp=1422200774439&peasin=B0087NZ31S

The camera system is the
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S6B0VE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found the deal on the amazon deal thread in the team members section.

Non of the wireless camera DVR Systems I see have good reviews at all, however I took at chance at $345  compared to the $1300 that was supposed to be the price all over the net.

All I had to do was plug in the cameras and turn on the unit and it was ready to go. Per the company I did pair each camera even though the receiver already had them when I booted up. I have not setup the system to view the cameras online, as it was not anything I needed right now.  I have tried the DVR system in the garage and up in our bedroom where we would normally keep it.

My father in law runs a computer store and he sent over a tech how tinkered with the settings for about an hour. He changed the channels and got things working some of the time, but still had problems. His suggestion to my the next day was to buy an AC router."which I already have but he didn't notice"  

He then suggested a hi power access point, thinking it may send the 2.4 ghz signal out at a higher power then the cameras can block. I am thinking I just may have to send it back and go back to a non recording uniden system.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny, the 802.11ac spec does not include 2.4 GHz, but the r7000ac router does it anyway.
I looked at the specs on the netgear site and the r7000 appears to be a great house router, as long as there are no slow wireless devices connected to it.

In your case, is the r7000 cabled to the time warner box or is the connection wireless?
How old is the time warner internet device and what is it's model number?

Here is what I am thinking:
If the time warner box is a cable modem/firewall router with wireless access and is a few years old, you may be better off speedwise by disabling the older slow wireless in it, plugging the r7000ac into it and connecting all your wireless devices to the much faster dual band r7000.
Since the r7000ac is dual band, it should allocate much of the 2.4 bandwidth to the cameras and push the other devices to the 5 GHz bands (assuming they are 5 GHz capable).

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, have we got you fooled....
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I could not agree more.
Plus, there is the improved security/reduced interference angle to consider.
However, my experience with 802.11n has been limited but I am impressed with the faster data throughput.
It can really make a wireless network look like a wired one performance-wise.
Plus, "ac" is supposed to be an improvement on "n".

In my uneducated opinion, since the op is stuck with 2.4 GHz for the cameras, and since this will hurt his entire wireless network, he must isolate them in some fashion.

We will see.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny, the 802.11ac spec does not include 2.4 GHz, but the r7000ac router does it anyway.
I looked at the specs on the netgear site and the r7000 appears to be a great house router, as long as there are no slow wireless devices connected to it.

In your case, is the r7000 cabled to the time warner box or is the connection wireless?
How old is the time warner internet device and what is it's model number?

Here is what I am thinking:
If the time warner box is a cable modem/firewall router with wireless access and is a few years old, you may be better off speedwise by disabling the older slow wireless in it, plugging the r7000ac into it and connecting all your wireless devices to the much faster dual band r7000.
Since the r7000ac is dual band, it should allocate much of the 2.4 bandwidth to the cameras and push the other devices to the 5 GHz bands (assuming they are 5 GHz capable).
View Quote

This is marketing. They are calling it an AC router to get headlines because they are one of the first for the new gigabit wireless standard.

The BCM4335 broadcomm chipset most of the 802.11ac devices are using is dual band and fully backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n. This will be the standard approach. Chipset info is below.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM4335

While it is allowed by the AC standard, there are going to be very few 5Ghz only routers out there because there are too many devices that will only do 2.4Ghz still. You would have a lot of upset consumers and a lot of devices and tablets without Internet in the house if it didn't do 2.4Ghz

---Aaron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top