Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:50:14 AM EDT
Hey guys, Looking at putting up a few cameras around the house.  Can someone take a few moments to suggest key locations on the outside?  My house plan is below.  The only difference is that my garage opens TO THE FRONT vs. the side.  Driveway is approx. 60-75ft long at most.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#1]
First and foremost is this a one story house? Two story? What does the access look like in your attic ? Are there any vaulted ceilings that block access ? What areas are your greatest concern? If I was installing the system I would recommend  one covering the front door/ front porch area, second  one would cover the driveway , third one in the screened  porch in the rear. Without know what your landscaping looks like it would be difficult to suggest other locations, when I inspect a customers house I walk the property to see if there are trees, shrubs etc that may block a cameras view, than I will gain access to insure that I can route the cable to the camera locations and the NVR.  There are many things to consider when planning a security camera system, and I will be more than happy to help if I can. What type of system are you looking to install? Analog, IP or HD-TVI?  Is this something that you are looking at doing yourself or are you looking to hire a company to do the dirty work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First and foremost is this a one story house? Two story? What does the access look like in your attic ? Are there any vaulted ceilings that block access ? What areas are your greatest concern? If I was installing the system I would recommend  one covering the front door/ front porch area, second  one would cover the driveway , third one in the screened  porch in the rear. Without know what your landscaping looks like it would be difficult to suggest other locations, when I inspect a customers house I walk the property to see if there are trees, shrubs etc that may block a cameras view, than I will gain access to insure that I can route the cable to the camera locations and the NVR.  There are many things to consider when planning a security camera system, and I will be more than happy to help if I can. What type of system are you looking to install? Analog, IP or HD-TVI?  Is this something that you are looking at doing yourself or are you looking to hire a company to do the dirty work.
View Quote

Sorry, should have included some other information.  Not sure I want to post pictures of actual house???   House is 1 story.  I am able to run wiring pretty much anywhere in the house to the eves/soffits of the house.  When you say greatest concern, well to be quite honest, my greatest concern is my neighbor.  We have some thugs that are 2 lots from me (vacant 1/2 acre lots).  This is a nice neighborhood so they know they do not fit in and they know we dont care for them.  If you are looking at the front of my house, they are on the right hand side (be great if I just so happen to be able to see their house as well  :) )  My landscaping is all small shrubbery.  I do not have any large items around my house.  My plan would to run all cabling in attic to areas and come back to my bonus room where I have a LAN line back to my main networking equipment in my living room.  I would be installing IP and building my own NVR or buying one.

I have an IT background so the wiring and equipment is not so much my concern but more so, the placement.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]

I did a quick paint job to mark locations for cameras, when it comes to placing cameras you want to try and get overlapping coverage. And unlike traditional alarm systems you don't have to install all the cameras at one time. Simply route all the cable to the desired locations and add cameras when you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top