Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 12:00:46 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

Need a safe as I've bought my own place. Bigger the better. That is the price range I'm looking to stick to.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought this from Rural King when it was on sale for $799 about a month ago.... one of the store managers told me they were going to be going back on sale for $900. You might be able to pick it up as a Black Friday deal.

Liberty 72 gun safe

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Costco has 19 cubic foot Bighorn for $599 now. Sale ends in 9 days.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw that costco safe...some say to stay away from it. Anyone have anymore suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You are not going to find a safe for $600 to $800 that everyone recommends. Safes in that price range are full of compromises. It is $599 again and with free delivery.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You can usually find a 20 cubic foot Browning Limited safe for around that price range. I believe it's a special make-up safe that isn't in the catalog but worth checking out. I'd get one of those over the Winchester safes.

When deciding on a safe there are a few things to consider:
1- How much is your firearm collection worth? (if it's quite a lot either monetary or sentimental or both maybe you should spend the extra cash for higher reputation and security/fire ratings/features)
2- The size (you may want to buy a bit bigger than you think you need for the future)
3- Location, Location, Location (I highly recommend hiding your safe from plain sight and anchoring it to the floor if possible. Also try and keep the sides and back as inaccessible as possible as these are the weakest parts of your safe, the front is the strongest.)

With that said your average Smash-and-grab criminal doesn't normally plan on encountering a large safe and will most likely leave it be. Most safe mfg's will tell you if it will make too much noise (if the home is close to other homes/buildings) or if it will take too long the criminal will forget trying to break into the safe.

Few more tips from people whom I've met:
-Do NOT park your safe in your shop/garage next to your plasma cutter
-Please strongly consider anchoring your safe. There was one instance where the bad guys obviously knew the owner (who lived in the country with no close neighbors) was going to be gone awhile and tipped the safe over and shot the back of it out with a shotgun and was able to make a hole large enough to reach in and pull items out.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw that costco safe...some say to stay away from it. Anyone have anymore suggestions?
View Quote

Bighorn = Yes
Bighorn Classic = Pass
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Cannon safe from Tractor Supply on Black Friday.

I've been pleased with mine... and they usually do rain checks on them if you don't want to get there early.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've been pleased with mine... and they usually do rain checks on them if you don't want to get there early.
View Quote

This.  Checked one out today and made my decision.  I'll own one on Black Friday.  No, it's not a Sturdy or a Fort Knox or even a mid grade Liberty, but it's better than nothing and checked off all the boxes I'm looking for in the same price range as the OP.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I'm going for the Winchester 24 gun from TSC on BF. $550 seems like a hell of a deal for that safe.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think I'm going for the Winchester 24 gun from TSC on BF. $550 seems like a hell of a deal for that safe.
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and bump up to the Cannon 48 at TSC on BF for $699, if funds and space permit.  My neighbor has the Winchester 24 from TSC and while a nice looking safe, it's bolts are of the shorter variety that Cannon mentions in their bolt length comparison.  The door organizer on the Winchester is nicer than the one on the Cannon, but frankly, I have little use for that with the much larger capacity of the 48.  For $550, I think there are better options out there personally.  I'm buying the Cannon 48 on BF FWIW.  The double size, integrated power panel, longer bolts, internal hinges, and nicer overall "look" are worth the extra $150 to me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I was interested in the cannon one to but called my local TSC and they said it's for pick up only. They didn't offer to have it shipped. Might just do the cannon one on sale at Academy right now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The security of the Winchester seems to be a bit better (at least to me) and is right about the same weight. It appears to be a better constructed safe although smaller. The cannon also does not have the UL rating (I think)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Watch this video.  My buddy's Winchester 24 gun safe from TSC has locking bolts with a beveled edge, just like the ones shown in the video.  I can't say for sure if they're the exact ones, but if they are, that safe is no bueno for me.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qs6x8ppGLg
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Just thought I'd share this to see if anyone wanted something on the lower end. It ain't much but something is better than nothing.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/liberty-safe-centurion-series-24-gun-safe/pid-1350039

I might end up just getting that one for now in my temporary living situation and get an AmSec when i get my own house.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.  They have the larger cannon for 699.  I bought the 24 gun winchester for 499 three black fridays ago and I'm pleased with it.  Although, I am now looking into $3k safes as I've outgrown this one rather quickly and only knew it was a stopgap for the time being.  If you bolt the safe down or to the wall, its a heck of alot better than not having a safe at all.  And if having to spend out of your price range means not having one at all, I encourage you to purchase a cheaper one so you have something at least.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had the cannon that I got on black Friday sale from tractor supply for a few years now and I really like it. The power plug is very handy and in the price range... I think it is about the best you are going to find. As others have said, there are tougher safes but you will be paying about twice as much to get to the next level of protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top