Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2014 9:26:38 PM EDT
The gentleman above this post has touched on a lot of these topics already, but I wanted to confirm.

I essentially will be on top of a small mountain, with 4mbs internet, and no one around me. My idea was I would run 8 IP cameras so I can access them throughout the house on a couple devices, and when I am traveling. It would be easier then a wire system because I would have to run a wire into every room to see it on a tv, etc.

After reading Gray mans posts, I am getting the hint that a slower network like mine may not be able to "run" them. I want to say its DSL up there and not cable like I am using now.

I figured that they wouldn't be constantly using the connection so it wouldnt add too much load to the network, but I am no pro. Let me know if I' am missing something here, because I essentially thought they were plug and go, as long as you had broadband.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Your internet speed only comes into play when you are remote monitoring the cameras.  You local lan/wifi network is what the cameras will use to communicate with the DVR.  Also you can still remote monitor even with a slow connection you can select the stream quality.  For example your cameras could would be recording as full resolution, but if you wanted to view them remotely on a slow connection you could do so at a lower quality.  How fast is your internet upload speed? this is the one what would be used when your system is streaming out for remote viewing.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your internet speed only comes into play when you are remote monitoring the cameras.  You local lan/wifi network is what the cameras will use to communicate with the DVR.  Also you can still remote monitor even with a slow connection you can select the stream quality.  For example your cameras could would be recording as full resolution, but if you wanted to view them remotely on a slow connection you could do so at a lower quality.  How fast is your internet upload speed? this is the one what would be used when your system is streaming out for remote viewing.

View Quote

I wont know how fast its going to be until I get up there. I was told by the owner that I am the only one on the line, he thinks, because its a lot faster then most. He works for a computer company and has multiple computers running.

My issues were how does a DVR work with an IP camera, because most I see just have the cameras for sale, and also If I am say in the kitchen with an ipad, will it still look clear even on possibly slower internet.

My plan would be to have a setup around the house, like an ipad or computer, so I can always see whats going on outside, and i dont want that lagging. But I would be running off the network..
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to view the cameras from within the same house you don't even need Internet the tablet will just connect to your wifi router which will connect to the DVR on the local network in the house.  Only time internet would be needed is you want to view them from another location.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]
1) dont use wireless
2) use a good switch and plug that into the router.  Most people plug all kinds of shit into the router which is fine and all but a switch will handle the high data load alot better.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Set your cameras up for a low resolution with 2FPS continuous recording & then set the incident (motion) recording on each camera for 15-30FPS in full resolution.
This will save your bandwidth & extend your hard drive save time - you don't need all your cameras fighting for bandwidth when nothing is going on.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Set your cameras up for a low resolution with 2FPS continuous recording & then set the incident (motion) recording on each camera for 15-30FPS in full resolution.
This will save your bandwidth & extend your hard drive save time - you don't need all your cameras fighting for bandwidth when nothing is going on.  
View Quote

Very good idea Shock!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1) dont use wireless
2) use a good switch and plug that into the router.  Most people plug all kinds of shit into the router which is fine and all but a switch will handle the high data load alot better.
View Quote

So you can buy a switch, that sits outside the router and handles traffic better, but still hooks to router?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So you can buy a switch, that sits outside the router and handles traffic better, but still hooks to router?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) dont use wireless

Yes.  Considering most residential routers come with only 4 or 5 ports, a switch will be necessary to supply the additional connections and will do a better job moving data.  If you are running POE (power over ethernet) cameras, they would all run on their own powered switch.

Edited to add:  Another benefit to an internal switch is if you're wireless router hangs up or requires a therapeutic reboot, the other devices on the switch with fixed IP addresses would keep on running.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes.  Considering most residential routers come with only 4 or 5 ports, a switch will be necessary to supply the additional connections and will do a better job moving data.  If you are running POE (power over ethernet) cameras, they would all run on their own powered switch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) dont use wireless

+1

My internet connection sucks, I can monitor my cameras via pc or phone pretty easily.  As long as you're not streaming HD on all 8 cameras you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the responses.

Do you guys know of any good priced systems? I am not a complete DA with technology but I dont want something too crazy.

I' am thinking 6 cameras, for outdoors. There are so many systems out there and most seem to be a piece by piece setup.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
just remember you get what you pay for, especially with camera.  Buy once, cry once.....

What's your budget?  I think over the course of the years I have about 6K in my current camera setup
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
just remember you get what you pay for, especially with camera.  Buy once, cry once.....

What's your budget?  I think over the course of the years I have about 6K in my current camera setup
View Quote

I think just the opposite is true. There is a point of diminishing returns on ip cameras currently around $150-$300.  There is no evidence that a $1000 cam has 3x - 6x better picture or better longevity.  In 3-5 years there may be another step change in technology and you'll be able to upgrade because you didn't overspend on cameras.

Many "experts" are still promoting overpriced analog cameras because they are not comfortable with the IT/Networking startup of the IP cams.

On the switch, there are alot of used POE switches out there from commercial phone systems. Take a look at ebay and you can get a cisco 16 port with 8 live POE for $100 or less
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Many "experts" are still promoting overpriced analog cameras because they are not comfortable with the IT/Networking startup of the IP cams.

While analog cameras are a legacy technology, they are still heavily used in the industry  for reasons other than IT/ networking .  Mainly for the fact  most systems that are in place are cabled for analog cameras.  The cost of labor and materials to replace a  analog  system  can be very costly,  especially if the system was installed during a buildings construction.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

While analog cameras are a legacy technology, they are still heavily used in the industry  for reasons other than IT/ networking .  Mainly for the fact  most systems that are in place are cabled for analog cameras.  The cost of labor and materials to replace a  analog  system  can be very costly,  especially if the system was installed during a buildings construction.
View Quote

You're right about existing buildings. I was speaking in the context of a new install. I don't think it would make sense to use analog cables in any context nowadays but perhaps you know better.

The local supply houses seem to have less knowledge on ip cams than the bloggers on the Internet. That seemed odd to me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think just the opposite is true. There is a point of diminishing returns on ip cameras currently around $150-$300.  There is no evidence that a $1000 cam has 3x - 6x better picture or better longevity.  In 3-5 years there may be another step change in technology and you'll be able to upgrade because you didn't overspend on cameras.

On the switch, there are alot of used POE switches out there from commercial phone systems. Take a look at ebay and you can get a cisco 16 port with 8 live POE for $100 or less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I would disagree with you to a point.  In my experience the cheaper the camera the worse the interface, cheaper the mounting system, fewer options (SD card recording for example), worse support, probably doesn't have zoom (if you need it), WDR and night shots are far better with something from Axis or ACTI than Dahua, etc.  I've found that daytime picture is pretty much the same, but my Axis Dome cameras shoot far better at night than my Swann Costco bullets.  True that companies are closing the gap, but to me at least there is a difference.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're right about existing buildings. I was speaking in the context of a new install. I don't think it would make sense to use analog cables in any context nowadays but perhaps you know better.

The local supply houses seem to have less knowledge on ip cams than the bloggers on the Internet.

That seemed odd to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The local supply houses seem to have less knowledge on ip cams than the bloggers on the Internet.

That seemed odd to me.

The problem with supply houses and installation companies is they are simply  hammered with new products all the time.  I have one email just for vendors  because they constantly send me emails on the next big thing in cameras .  The. Shear number of cameras that are out there  is insane, vendors listing what appears to be the exact same camera  but at two different levels of quality and price. Add to that the dropping prices not only on IP cameras but analog as well, installation companies will go to the cheaper analog because they have more room to mark the price up. And at the same time not get burned trying new. IP cameras.  I know quite a few shops that will go with a new vendor only to be burned by the product quality. I spend quite a bit of time and money  testing equipment before  i offer them to my customers. I am currently running three different  NVR's and two different DVR's at my home. And i am constantly switching cameras out to test different models, the biggest hassle is rebranded equipment.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the other posters here have this well in-hand, so I have very little to add.  

Remember... your LAN (or Local Area Network) is the internal network in your home.  It can run at ridiculous speeds compared to your internet connection.  For instance, I have a 20-megabits down and 5-megabits up internet connection through a cable modem (that means I can download at a max of 20 megabits-per-second, and upload to the internet at a max of 5 megabits-per-second).

The internal LAN in my home is hard-wired Gigabit ethernet... which can theoretically run at 1000-megabits-per-second.   That internal network is what carries all the camera streams to the NVR, and it has enough bandwidth that it carries that load easily, in addition to other traffic (audio streams from the internet, Youtube videos from the internet, various PCs backing themselves up to LAN storage, etc).  

When I want to get to the internet, the request goes from the PC I'm seated at, across the LAN to the router (mine is custom-built by me, but yours might be a standard Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, D-link, etc), from the router to the cable-modem, and out to the internet.  That's the only time the bandwidth of the internet connection comes into play.   The internet connection is the bottleneck in 99% of homes (my internal network is many times faster than my internet connection)

If I'm accessing my camera system remotely, the internet connection ALSO comes into play, since I only have 5-megabits-per-second of upload pipe.  This means I can't get full-motion on every camera on my system (which is quite large).  I can get full-motion on maybe ONE... and stop-motion on most of the others.  

None of that affects what's going on within the LAN... that continues unabated, regardless of what I'm doing remotely.  That means the cameras stay running, the NVR keeps recording, and everything goes on as-is.

The "internet connection speed" only comes into play when you're talking about remote access.  

Make sense?  
View Quote

Roger that.

The issue I' am having currently is reading about certain issues when you hook these things up. Looking through forums and companies websites, you always see these horror stories of things not working with IPs, firewalls, etc. Truth is, I just want a system that works and is almost a plug and play.

At my other property I have a wired system and it was pretty easy overall, but the remote aspect of it is horrible as far as viewing from other places. Thats why I think IP cams would be better. I know you did a big post about certain cams but if you have any certain system in mind let me know.

I dont need something that will see the beard hairs on someone walking up, I essentially want to get an idea of what is going on outside without going outside. I want to be able to hit a screen and see my perimeter without going out. So while I would like the best quality I can get, I will be using them for more of an extra set of eyes then getting license plates. I have looked at Lorex camera systems but not much else.

EDIT: Foscam cameras are what I have been looking at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top