Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
Trying to figure out the best option for a house I just bought.

I would like to install an IP surveillance system with motion detection and email notifications.

Now after doing a lot of reviews on the various "safes" out there, it seems as though most of the under $1000 safes aren't really much better than a homak security cabinet that would cost $150.

My thought is that having video surveillance and a couple Homak cabinets would be a better investment than dropping a couple thousand on a really good safe.

Seems like for around $1,500 I could have an 8 camera megapixel Surveillance system and 2 18 gun homak safes or I could have 1 decent safe for the same cost.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get the safe(s) first,,that means your firearms are secure, a security system can be by-passed and then what? full access to your firearms.

Get the safe and then a cheaper security system that lets you upgrade as you go. Dont forget the safe adds fire protection as well.

Just my thoughts.............
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
BOTH, just get the safe first.  Whatever size you think you need, get it twice as big.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BOTH, just get the safe first.  Whatever size you think you need, get it twice as big.
View Quote

In RED cant be said enough..24 gun safe will barely hold 12 scoped guns and shotguns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
safe first. a camera will only tell you who stole your stuff but a safe will help prevent your stuff from being stolen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, with the camera system, I'd have cameras set to provide txt notifications, so should anyone try to break in, I'd get a picture of them live on my phone and would be able to send law enforcement immediately.  Therefore hopefully keeping them from stealing the rest of the stuff in my house as well.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both. Safe first.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, with the camera system, I'd have cameras set to provide txt notifications, so should anyone try to break in, I'd get a picture of them live on my phone and would be able to send law enforcement immediately.  Therefore hopefully keeping them from stealing the rest of the stuff in my house as well.

View Quote

I don't want to discourage you in your decisions, but Id rather have a scratched safe than pics of a dick with my gun.  If you go security system first, at least pull all your firing pins out so no one gets shot with your stuff...  Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, with the camera system, I'd have cameras set to provide txt notifications, so should anyone try to break in, I'd get a picture of them live on my phone and would be able to send law enforcement immediately. Therefore hopefully keeping them from stealing the rest of the stuff in my house as well.

View Quote

Having pics of the bad guys is great and all....but someone still has to recognize them, otherwise the pics/video is worthless. As someone who has spent a lot of time watching security vids/pics, I wouldn't put all of my trust in just a camera system, in the hopes that someone will recognize who is in the pic. Not to mention if they are wearing a mask/disguise.

I also wouldn't count on an immediate response. For instance, this past week, my shift was short, and on just one call (auto accident), we didn't have anyone to send for over an hour.

So....get the safe first.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend the money on the best safe you can afford.
Nice safes will take much longer to break into.  Security cameras can easily be defeated
by masks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Put the money in a safe and save $200 for a home monitor camera.  They are wireless and the valuable feature is that they upload to the cloud so a bugler cannot steal the dvr record.  They work pretty well and cloud storage is free.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the safe first and foremost. I would not count on getting a good image of the thief or the police to respond in time. Plus what happens if they do arrive in time to stop the thief but now take your firearms as evidence of the crime? Sure you should get them back at some point but do you really want to risk that?

A couple of general pointers; Buy the biggest safe you can afford and will fit in the space you have. These things tend to shrink over time. No seriously they fill up faster than you can imagine.

Bolt the dang thing down. Don't think thiefs are beyond lifting a 2,000 pound safe and taking it somewhere else to open it.

Do not make your safe a center piece. Don't display it. Don't waste your money on the super gloss finish. The less people know it is there the better protection it offers.

Try to block the sides and back as these tend to be the weaker points. Put the safe in a corner or closed space if possible.

P.S. When I say safe I realy mean Residental Security Container (RSC) which is what most of the affordable ones really are. They provide a lock, moderate steel construction and often some form of fire protection. A true safe is far more expensive due to the construction, however I'll take and RSC over nothing every day of the week.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
An alarm system is only effective if the police can get to your house in time to catch the thieves.  I've seen on the news where robbers would trigger an alarm, head a couple doors down, wait for the police to show, then return when the police leave.  Depending on weather conditions and location, it might take awhile for the police to arrive.  If the robbers know there's cameras present, they can wear masks, and park their vehicle outside of camera view.

If any of those conditions apply, you'll want more than thin steel cabinets that can be defeated with pry bars.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Guess I'm going to just go over budget and "get both"
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Safe first.

I have put cameras at two properties (Eight at leach location). They cost a lot. They have not helped me yet. They get obsolete and stop working over time.

Maybe just get one camera that is self-contained so that it is inexpensive (even a game camera), and consider one better than none - and stop there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Guess I'm going to just go over budget and "get both"
View Quote
Like others have said.  If you think you need a safe for 24 guns get one that holds 48.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah - for two reasons.

One is the reason that is like computer hard drives - your future needs expand.

But then also realize that when gun safe companies say how many rifles they can hold, they mean "Elmer Fudd" rifles with no optic packed as tight as possible. For normal rifles, like ARs with optics, then 1/3 to 1/2 of the number will comfortable but as what they say.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top