Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:59:20 PM EDT
I have a decent policy that covers my weapons and accesories. It is around $350 a year for $25k coverage. Have had this for about 5 years and have never needed to use it. I keep all my stuff in those locked gun lockers and in a locked closet that is very well hidden. House has cameras and a good security system.

I have about $2k to invest in a safe but the place I will be putting it has size limitations due to doorways. Basically I can go up to 29.5" wide by 23 inches deep. I live less than 1/2 a mile away from the FD but still want something fire rated at least 60 minutes. My herd consists of 6 long guns and about 10 handguns. Not much but they are expensive. Accessories, the usual, high end scopes, red dot sites, suppresors etc.

This would be a trade off, meaning if I go the safe route, I will drop the insurance. This being said, what safe do you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
a good safe you can bolt to the floor.
unless the bad guys have a truck with a chain that can pull it up i doubt it will go anywhere.

make sure it locks on all four sides so as to not pop if someone takes a crowbar to it.

for insurance buy a $1k safe and do everything to it you can think of and if it passes you ahve the other $1K to get another

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a decent policy that covers my weapons and accesories. It is around $350 a year for $25k coverage. Have had this for about 5 years and have never needed to use it. I keep all my stuff in those locked gun lockers and in a locked closet that is very well hidden. House has cameras and a good security system.

I have about $2k to invest in a safe but the place I will be putting it has size limitations due to doorways. Basically I can go up to 29.5" wide by 23 inches deep. I live less than 1/2 a mile away from the FD but still want something fire rated at least 60 minutes. My herd consists of 6 long guns and about 10 handguns. Not much but they are expensive. Accessories, the usual, high end scopes, red dot sites, suppresors etc.

This would be a trade off, meaning if I go the safe route, I will drop the insurance. This being said, what safe do you recommend?
View Quote

You'll find historic firearms insurance will be quite a bit cheaper than that.  It's around $120 for 25k and good reviews.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Insurance companies consider 4-6 guns to be a lot.  They will want proof that you actually owned more.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Insurance companies consider 4-6 guns to be a lot.  They will want proof that you actually owned more.
View Quote

That's OK.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That has not been my experience with Collectibles Insurance or Historic Insurance. Certain values often require scheduling the items, but no proof has been necessary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You need a good safe, an alarm, insurance and persec.
Anyone that may tell someone about you shit needs to know they will be held accountable for flapping their lips.
Only time anything was ever stolen from me was because an acquaintance told someone I had something to steal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Historic Firearms has a minimum policy of $35k coverage for $125.  You also may want to look at collectinsure.  There premiums are higher per dollar but you may save more money since they don't have the higher minimum like Historic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#8]
A good safe in the basement with a security system and you working 1/2 mile away is pretty much gtg. Basements prevents them from easily hauling off with it, also provides fire protection as heat rises. Insurance is never a bad idea if you do have a very large collection in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I personally went with insurance and no safe.

My siutation is unique as i have a lot of tools by the safe that could open the safe and no where else to put them.

I would always read this forum and wonder how these safes could withstand an attack. Then it dawned on me that most people dont have a torch, demo saw with metal blade, jack hammer, and 6 foot long rock bars 15 feet from the safe.

If i didnt have that problem i would do a safe and insurance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Insurance is must.
The problem with insurance only though is for  people like myself that have many firearms that have not been made for decades and you are not going to find a clean replacement so easily if at all.
So money is what you get and that might not be the true value of the firearm and might not be enough payout to replace what you lost.
I have already been down this road before my gun safe owning days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I got both.  I use collectinsure.          

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I personally went with insurance and no safe...If i didnt have that problem i would do a safe and insurance.
View Quote

My insurance requires insurance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes commercial insurance tells us a story of the millions of lessons that have already been learned.  With a commercial insurance policy it is often impossible to get coverage (for the valuables) without a safe, and difficult without an alarm system.  That tells me that those two things are more important than the policy itself (at least to the insurer).

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A good safe in the basement with a security system and you working 1/2 mile away is pretty much gtg. Basements prevents them from easily hauling off with it, also provides fire protection as heat rises. Insurance is never a bad idea if you do have a very large collection in the tens of thousands of dollars.
View Quote

Sorry, I live in the Republic of Texas. Basements don't exist here. I think if I can get my insurance premium down I may consider both.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I would go with at least some sort of safe to compliment security/alarms etc.
1.) Even with insurance it would be a PITA/impossible to replace some items.
2.) Equally important to me not losing my guns is to prevent some scumbag criminal from getting them.

They make safes that you assemble, so you can take the parts through your doors and then assemble it in a closet etc.  Don't have links handy but they've been discussed on here a lot.

I was going to get a $6-800 gun store safe (cabinet I guess is the right term), but then I thought about my ONE LaRue OBR with a Nightforce scope and figured that gun ALONE cost me about $5000  So I upped my budget and spent about $2500 on a Sturdy.  I'd love to have some TL-30 type safe, but feel a lot better with a good heavy steel safe rather than a cheaper safe.

If you have a good alarm, I would vote safe and no insurance.  A decent/mid-range safe will take enough time to defeat that with an alarm they won't have time to get stuff out.
Granted if they are in a locked closet AND a locked locker the alarm would likely prevent them the time to break in and get anything.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I have both
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with safes for theft protection and insurance for fire/water protection.

Let me be more specific.. My homeowners has a $2500 cap on *theft* of firearms. It DOES NOT have a cap on fire or water loss of wireless. That is typical.

So far I have not opted to get a policy for theft. I may get one for the full value. I may get one for a partial value (assuming that not all of my guns can be stolen since they are distributed), or I may just not do anything - not sure. Insurance is not that cheap when you have a lot of guns.

I have sure spent a lot on insurance in general over the last X years.

Remember that insurance is not a good deal or else the companies would not offer it. For this reason, I believe one should only insure things they cannot afford to replace. If you do get insurance, I would strongly suggest looking at the premium vs deductible pricing and note that there is a sweet spot where a higher deductible can dramatically lower the premium - but then it tapers off to where an even higher deductible does not save much.

I changed my homeowner's policies from a $2500 to a $10,000 deductible and saved thousands per year but going from a $10,000 to a $25,000 only saves another hundred or two dollars.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I Collectibles for my stuff. They also cover my reloading equipment and ammo so that is nice.

I'm looking for a safe atm, but I am not sure on how much I should spend. As much as I would like a nice Amsec BF I don't have the funds for that so I am leaning more to a semi-decent RSC instead. Has to go into my basement too so I'm not worried about someone taking it out.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got insurance from The Historic Firearms and Collectibles Insurance Program.

It is not expensive for most collections.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#20]
You should have both a safe and insurance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top