Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2014 11:10:02 AM EDT
I have a Superior Master 50 safe on the way. It will be placed in an unfinished section of basement to keep out of sight.
Since it will be on "bare concrete", do you advise a sheet of plywood or carpet, etc. to place under the safe  prior to bolting down?
The concern is moisture from concrete potentially causing rust to the safe. I have no interior concerns (goldenrod and dessicant will be used). The basement does not show moisture signs (and has not been measured) but I want to be sure. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I used one box of laminate flooring.  Couldn't see bolting steel straight to concrete.  The possible issue though is that the laminate adds 3/8" of space between the steel and concrete, enough to wedge a rock bar under it.  A small risk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a livestock stall mat just to keep it off the concrete.  The safe company was not amused as it made the job of rolling the safe into the recessed wall with steel rods more difficult.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I think I'll do the livestock mat. Great idea and cheap. I will be heading over to Tractor Supply!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tap

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
pressure treated wood
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I think I'll do the livestock mat. Great idea and cheap. I will be heading over to Tractor Supply!

View Quote

Have fun cutting it to fit!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pro tip, most mats are easy to cut with a utility knife. If that doesnt work then a grinder or demo saw with abrasive cutting blade.

I install mats in dairies as part of my work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
To be the voice of opposition here, I actually cut away the carpet and carpet pad before installing my safe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah stay away from anything that can rot...you will find yourself having to move the safe again to replace the rotted stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
No need to cut. I picked it up today for $20. 4x3 foot size ready to go. Heavy. It is bigger than the safe footprint, which is fine with me!
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#11]
This is what I used on the bare cement, three to four coats.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is on hockey pucks. Drill right through them and pass the bolts through. It's what the installer does for all of his.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
You can use these Dricore subfloor pieces. Homedepot and Lowes carry them, they are around $7.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine is on hockey pucks. Drill right through them and pass the bolts through. It's what the installer does for all of his.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this just 1 puck per corner or the entire bottom of the safe?

Wouldn't the gap give a nice fulcrum for a big pry bay to tip over a safe?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Disregard. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I used a scrap of sheet vinyl cut from a remnant that a local store had.  I gave the lady $10.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is what I used on the bare cement, three to four coats.

http://www.miltonsupply.com/6469927_orig.jpg
View Quote

This.  Just seal the concrete and bolt directly to it.  I had a special gun closet made in the new home we built about 5 years ago.  I had the builder make the slab extra thick and extra rebar reinforcing under where the safe would go in the back of that closet.  He recommended treating the cured cement and then bolting the 32 gun Liberty directly to the coated slab.  That's what we did.   Zero maintenance and the safe ain't gonna go nowhere.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to go against the grain here.

I drilled 8 holes into my concrete floor and poured a 4" pad for the safe to sit on.
The safe is drilled and anchored into the pad.
It picks it off the ground a bit, easier to get into, and you cant get a dolly under it.
Also, even though safes are fire-proof, they are rarely water tight.
A band around the door "melts" at high temp which seals out the fire.

I have a weeping/sump system, but 4 more inches is always a good thing.

Safe sits right on concrete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top