Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 2:50:29 PM EDT
I'm looking to finish out a mancave/reloading/gun room in my basement. It has 3 foundation walls (walkout basement here) and one wall of 2x6 framed. I'm going with the FEMA 320 plan of steel+plywood+plywood walls to double the room up as a tornado safe room (located in Nebraska).

I'm struggling with the door. I originally wanted a Prosteel Vanguard due to the 320 rating and it looking like a regular interior door. Then I started looking at the Sturdy vault door but after calling them they think their door is overkill for this application. Anyone have any suggestions of another door I can look at? I'd like to stay in the $2k or less range. Sturdy was $2200, Vanguard is $1700ish. Am I missing some great option?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
When Sturdy says their door is overkill, that speaks volumes  

Perhaps a commercial steel man door would be a better fit.  They do make FEMA rated doors with multi-point locking systems.  Pretty tough units, and they still look like regular old doors.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I think what she meant that it was overkill was that because it was a framed wall (even with a steel skin and plywood layers) that someone could  break through.

My plan for the room is to have it on a separate alarm system than the house or a separate zone with door & motion sensors and the keypad inside the room. I want to know whenever someone is in there.

Less than ideal I know, I wish it were poured/reinforced walls but it isn't like those are indestructible either in terms of breaking in. I just want to keep the little ones out, slow down bad guys and have  some protection from tornadoes above and beyond sheetrock in my walkout basement.

Honestly I'm still leaning towards the Sturdy as it shouts Don't Even Try Me and isn't that much more than 12ga security doors. Once the walls are finished a burglar would have to start cutting the walls to find out if it was concrete or framed. By then I'd be aware and LEOs would even get there in plenty of time.

The steel doors you see on commercial buildings and businesses are about $1500 from what I gather and that is without locks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Well since ProSteel won't answer the phone or return VMs I guess they are out of contention..
Makes me nervous when I leave a message for both CS and Sales and no one calls back.
CS says they are out of the office Thurs-Fri, of LAST WEEK and hasn't changed their VM.

Sturdy was awesome on the phone and walked through specing out a door and pricing it for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few friends that used these guys. Make sure to get an inswing.

http://stores.ebay.com/PrivateSecurityProducts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top