Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 6:59:56 PM EDT
All FK safes come with a small envelope that has the unique master code that is married to the S&G elock.  Apparently that code is used with a combination of keypad sequences in the event that the owner forgets their programmed code.  Is the sequences of keypad buttons/moments something that is known and published that an owner can have in the event that they forget their programmed code and have to use the S&G master code to reset the elock?  Or is the keypad sequences a 'secrete squire' that only dealers know and cannot be given to the owner.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a secret?  Not really.  But then again, how much information do you want potential bad guys to be able to learn from the comfort of their computers?

I'm not really a big fan of manufacturers keeping this information, as most manufacturers do not have nearly the security that they should have protecting that information.  At the same time, it usually doesn't do much good to give a master code to an end user either.  After all, if they can't keep track of their combination, they likely won't be able to keep track of that code either.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
For the life of me, I cannot understand why people start this kind of thread.  Unless, of course, their purposes are nefarious.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people start this kind of thread.  Unless, of course, their purposes are nefarious.
View Quote

Because people like me which own Fort Knox products would like to have all the info regarding my lock.  I already spoke with my dealer and he will be providing me my MRC as I am the owner and all ID and paper work has been verified.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
  . I already spoke with my dealer and he will be providing me my MRC as I am the owner and all ID and paper work has been verified.  
View Quote

Why does your dealer have that information?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

. I already spoke with my dealer and he will be providing me my MRC as I am the owner and all ID and paper work has been verified.  

Clarification, my dealer will be providing the paperwork and verification of purchase to FK directly. FK will then be able to get the info from S&G. Info will be provided to me directly from FK. There is already a PDF on the FK site that goes into detail on how to obtain your unique MRC with valid identification and proof of ownership.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
S&G labels the locks for OEMs with the MRC. They do NOT keep the records, and the locks are not serialized to track MRC. They leave it to the manufacturer to do this, if they choose to. S&G will not have the MRC, but the manufacturer "might". We (AMSEC) place a serial number on the Keypad Base, and record the MRC for every lock we sell or install. Only registered and verified Techs are provided with the codes. End users can not get factory codes or combinations.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Fort Knox mechanical lock for the win  

TXL

ETA, welcome to ARFCOM FRTKNX

Question for FRTKNX.  Have you guys ever had a warrant presented for master codes to enter a specific safe?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
 We have not. I don’t believe they are motivated to go through the hassle to attempt a non-invasive opening. I do recall one of our Vaults that had been turned into Swiss cheese by a supposed “Safe Tech” called in by LE during a search.  
View Quote

I have never heard of law enforcement contacting a manufacturer.  If they suspect a safe, the safe is usually mentioned specifically in the warrant.  When they get there, assuming somebody is around, they'll ask nicely for the combination.  If you don't give it to them, they don't really care what it takes to get into it.  Some agencies have their own techs within their ranks.  Others will call in guys like me.  Sometimes they call the fire department and take the jaws to it.  They're usually in a hurry, so they'll go with whatever option is faster/cheaper.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
We have been engaged with Law Enforcement agencies many times. With high security safes, both residential and commercial, it's not uncommon to see drug and other high value situations where we get pulled into the game.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]
 We have been engaged with Law Enforcement agencies many times. With high security safes, both residential and commercial, it's not uncommon to see drug and other high value situations where we get pulled into the game.  
View Quote

Are you guys flying out techs to open them?

Almost every warrant that I have ever been involved with is started and over with within a few hours.  The agencies working the really good stuff have their own guys in house, and don't ask many people for help.  When they do need help, there's a few super-techs on their contact list.   The guys who do need help want in and out, and usually are.  I can't see them waiting around for a manufacturer to return a call, especially considering that call won't open the safe.  Then again, stranger things have happened.  Maybe some of these agencies calling are hoping that the dumb criminal mail ordered his safe and that the manufacturer will give them the combo.  More often than not, around here at least, the bad guy gives it up when asked.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Our involvement with LEO is not usually to assist with openings, but we do occasionally get calls from the Locksmith onsite at a crime scene that contacts our service desk asking for drill points or factory combo/codes. If the locksmith or tech is a verified factory certified and/or previously registered in our tech database, we will assist them as requested. We have a very robust process for verification, so only authorized techs get the help. Most of the guys that work in this field regularly have been registered in one way or another.

I have been teaching AMSEC certification courses for well over 20 years, and personally certified hundreds of field techs nation wide, many of them from Law Enforcement. The more common LEO interaction has been regarding commercial safes in crime investigations, where the operation of the safe controls are key elements in the events surrounding a robbery resulting in murder. We are also occasionally asked to provide expert opinions on video and photographic evidence where safes are involved in a crime, and they want our testimony regarding the nature of damage found on safes and the tools that may have been used.

There are other issues that bring LEO to our door, but it is not uncommon at all. We do have 24-7 Tech Support, with a really quick call-back response time, so these calls get returned in minutes, if they aren't answered live. This 24-7 service is necessary with such a large commercial customer base, and essential in landing large commercial accounts that do business outside the 9 to 5 x 5 day work week.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top