Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 12:05:37 PM EDT
My dad is looking for something to keep small valuables in a bit more safely than his gun-safe. I don't see ISM mentioned much. He is looking at them and I just want to make sure he isn't getting an inferior safe or anything...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Made in Israel is what comes to mind. AMSEC offers the CFX in small models which is TL-30X6 rated.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
ISM had a very good reputation, and their products are often found in places that require the best security money can buy.  Many foreign high security safe manufacturers build outstanding products and have no real competition from North American manufacturers
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ISM had a very good reputation, and their products are often found in places that require the best security money can buy.  Many foreign high security safe manufacturers build outstanding products and have no real competition from North American manufacturers
View Quote

What do you mean "had"?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The original ISM is out of business, and  is now ISM Magen Goldman.  A few of the original ISM guys have spun off some of their own lines as well.

These guys are building safes with TRTL60X6 ratings, the highest rating available.  They are at the top of their game.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The original ISM is out of business, and  is now ISM Magen Goldman.  A few of the original ISM guys have spun off some of their own lines as well.

These guys are building safes with TRTL60X6 ratings, the highest rating available.  They are at the top of their game.

View Quote

Probably the top of the price tag too I assume...

He is mostly just looking to make it easier to break into the gun-safe than the safe that holds the real valuables...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, now that the deal has been struck I can come clean... my dad isn't looking at ISM safes in particular. But he came across and ISM TL-30 bullion safe in like-new condition (photos also look in like-new cond.) for $500 cash. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a piece of junk. The deal is struck and date/time set to do the safe moving. Although he was only looking for a safe to hold small valuables (he has the gun-safe arena covered), the side benefit is that it's large enough to hold long-guns too... and the "moving" won't really be too hard... pallet jack can pull right up to it and take it out the door then transfer to a forklift to load it on the trailer... Shouldn't have to rent or borrow any tools/equip. to do the moving which makes the deal even better.

I don't think he can go wrong for $500...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, now that the deal has been struck I can come clean... my dad isn't looking at ISM safes in particular. But he came across and ISM TL-30 bullion safe in like-new condition (photos also look in like-new cond.) for $500 cash. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a piece of junk. The deal is struck and date/time set to do the safe moving. Although he was only looking for a safe to hold small valuables (he has the gun-safe arena covered), the side benefit is that it's large enough to hold long-guns too... and the "moving" won't really be too hard... pallet jack can pull right up to it and take it out the door then transfer to a forklift to load it on the trailer... Shouldn't have to rent or borrow any tools/equip. to do the moving which makes the deal even better.

I don't think he can go wrong for $500...
View Quote

Nice find.  I posted a "free" TL-15 I found on Craigslist last year in HTF, it was a big one, like 6' tall. The only catch you had to use professional bonded movers so as to not FUBAR the building it was in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
 Ok, now that the deal has been struck I can come clean..  
View Quote

Not a bad deal at all, especially if it's an older version.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Ok, now that the deal has been struck I can come clean..  

Anything I should look for to determine if it is older vs. newer? Is the date of manufacture going to be marked on it? I will only have a few hours to look at the safe before it gets moved to dad's place a few hours away. I have the model number and it is a model that is not currently listed on their website; the model/dimensions are changed a few inches. Is that a possible indicator?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]
There should be a date stamped on one of the tags attached to the door (usually inside).

If it was the black safe advertised in Bloomington, $500 is an outstanding deal.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There should be a date stamped on one of the tags attached to the door (usually inside).

If it was the black safe advertised in Bloomington, $500 is an outstanding deal.

View Quote

Thats the one!! Made in '99, solid as a rock. A few chips in the paint on the front, bottom edge (somebody had a hard time prying it up off a floor at one time) but really not a problem for a safe like that because aesthetics don't matter much.

What made it even better was the ease in getting it. They had it sitting on 4 short pieces of C-channel so we didn't have to get it lifted off the floor or anything. Rolled the pallet jack in, lifted, backed it out, set it down to adjust the pallet jack a bit, jacked it back up and rolled it straight out the door, 90 degree turn down the hall-way and right out to the trailer. Backed the forklift off the trailer (roll-back trailer), scooped the whole pallet jack and safe up at once, strapped it all to the mast of the fork-lift, drove it on the trailer and chained it (forklift) down and threw a couple extra straps on the safe as well. From the point the truck pulled into the lot to the point the safe was on the truck and we were pulling out was right at 1 hour.

Thanks for the advice a1abdj!  

FWIW, I'm a bit jealous of my dad. I told him the finders fee is that if he ever gets rid of it for any reason what-so-ever, I get it. Whether it's when he passes on (hopefully not any time soon) or he decides he doesn't need it or that he needs something different...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
That safe has glass, so be careful not to jar it too hard.  Once he gets it back and set up, open up the door cover and take a look inside.  Compare that to what you have seen posted around here as far as safe insides go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top