Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 11:35:22 AM EDT
A buddy of mine has a LONG private drive in a rural area and is frequently out of town on business for extended stretches.  Is there is a product out there that will function as a driveway alarm/camera that can email pics to the user once the device is tripped- in other words send him an image of any vehicle that goes down his drive?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
just about any camera can do that if its hooked up to the internet.

I have an Everfocus 3mp NV camera on my gate and an Axis NV camera on my house sending me SMS messages and recording to the cloud using BlueIris software
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Investigate Pysoft Active Web Cam. This is a software package that turns your PC into a camera server.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My apologies for not mentioning that his house does not have cable/internet access, so the device would need to be stand alone capable, looks like that points towards more of a trail cam than anything else I can find.
thanks for the input!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My apologies for not mentioning that his house does not have cable/internet access, so the device would need to be stand alone capable, looks like that points towards more of a trail cam than anything else I can find.
thanks for the input!!
View Quote

Without internet, how is the device going to email the pictures?   It needs an internet connection, otherwise the best it can do is save them locally.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Without internet, how is the device going to email the pictures?   It needs an internet connection, otherwise the best it can do is save them locally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for the input!!

This. Trail camera. Although Pysoft will work alllll alone on a PC. Just needs to be tended to once in awhile.

And don't forget, if you have a peer-to-peer network (2 PCs talking to each other), you don't need to go to the physical location of the server PC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Google Chasinggame forums and start reading, the Reconyx is the one camera that will get the job done consistently under the most adverse conditions.  

Link to Reconyx
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Does a cell phone work at his place?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is what I would want to know.  You can send pics out over the cell network... You just need a router or camera that takes a USB cell dongle.  There are routers that will do that.

The whole thing could be solar powered, and run  off 12VDC

ETA:  check out the cradlepoint routers

ETA2:  and you could get it done for hundreds less than the Reconyx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I would want to know.  You can send pics out over the cell network... You just need a router or camera that takes a USB cell dongle.  There are routers that will do that.

ETA2: and you could get it done for hundreds less than the Reconyx

Agree completely, I was just thinking Game Cams and never thought further, thanks for all your camera expertise in the forums.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes it does.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks I will take a look into running it via a dongle, never thought of that- I appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#14]
looks great, thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top