Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks impressive until one realizes that criminals are not attacking safes by dropping 900 pound I beams on them.  Not much different than the other manufacturers that make similar videos showing various types of circumstances, which will never happen in real life, showing how well their safes would hold up during a real life attack.

These types of videos would be much more impressive if they showed the safes being attacked in a realistic fashion.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks impressive until one realizes that criminals are not attacking safes by dropping 900 pound I beams on them.  Not much different than the other manufacturers that make similar videos showing various types of circumstances, which will never happen in real life, showing how well their safes would hold up during a real life attack.

These types of videos would be much more impressive if they showed the safes being attacked in a realistic fashion.

View Quote

I completely agree. It's funny how people are impressed by the dropping of safes from several feet in the air or having them bang into one another on the front of their car. Where is the practicality in this? As you suggest Frank, if a company were to shown their safe being attacked with a variety of attempts (sledgehammers, axes, demo saws, etc.), I would be much more intrigued.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed, the only test they did that's mildly related to an actual attack, is the rock breaker test: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/showdown-of-the-unbeatables/videos/rock-breaker-vs-safe1/

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
We were just at a bank demo where they had a large breaker.  This machine was big enough that it picked up the 15x15x8 foot vault, about 18 inches thick, half brick half concrete, and dropped it in the basement.  We needed him to punch some holes around the vault doors so that we could pull them.  One of the vaults had an old ventilator that was 1/2" stainless steel, and would pop outwards to allow air into the vault.

He put the breaker against that round 1/2" plate, pushed the machine against it, and hit the hammer.  It pushed it clear through the concrete, and barely even scratched it up.  Something like this works great on materials that will fracture (like concrete), but not on something that is flexible (like steel).  Again, seems pretty impressive until you look at it really close.

Let me give you another example.  What about those companies that drop their safes on the ground from way up in the air?   This also seems impressive at first glance.  But you have to look at the mass of the safe (or lack thereof) before deciding how impressive it really is.  Have you ever seen an empty soda can collapse when dropped on the ground?  Based on their own example, their gun safes are equally as strong as that soda can, which really is pretty truthful when viewed in that context.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top