Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Umm... Video?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BCV:
Well I got backed into tonight in a parking lot.

I was backing into a spot when the dumb bitch got in her car and just started backing up right into me. I guarantee dumb bitch will try to spin it as my fault. Dumb bitch has no idea I caught everything on camera.

yes, dumb bitch is exactly the type you think she is.

Umm... Video?  

I know, right?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

I know, right?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

I was backing into a spot when the dumb bitch got in her car and just started backing up right into me. I guarantee dumb bitch will try to spin it as my fault. Dumb bitch has no idea I caught everything on camera.

Umm... Video?  

I know, right?

There's no other purpose for this thread, if we are being honest with ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:24:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#4]

Umm... Video?  
View All Quotes

Umm... Video?  

This is actually more important than most people realize.  I drove around for at least a month with a normal acting camera, but it had lost its time, and kept overwriting the same small file because it thought everything that was recorded before was newer.  I only had the last 5 minutes of video recorded at any time.  You need to test them if you want to be able to trust them.  Somewhat like computer backups.  They don't exist unless you've proven that you can do a restore.

ETA:  Yours works well!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:41:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:43:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ponger] [#7]

I had installed a BlackVue DR650GW-2CH a few weeks ago but wasn't to

enthused about the power monitor that came with it (Power Magic Pro).

The voltage limit didn't seem to offer enough protection for my peace of

mind.  So off to find a better solution.

The one I ended up with was a Vicovation Vico Power-PLUS.  This allows

voltage limits set to 12.4 volts vs 12.0 on the Power Magic Pro.  And permits

a timer setting down to 2 hrs vs 6 on the Power Magic Pro, temperature and surge

protection are included.  It also has an LED monitor to monitor system parameters.

The manual that came with it is VERY thorough on installation but was a bit

confusing on set-up.  However working with the device for about 15 minutes

gave me enough feedback to figure out how to program the limits I wanted.

It's only been installed a couple days, so far so good, but I'll report back on how well it

does.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had this 720p cam for about 8 months. I haven't captured anything too exciting except a snowplow truck that tipped over in the winter and a state trooper that spun in the rain and wrecked his cruiser, both had already occurred by the time I drove past.  It's been 100% reliable for me. I had gotten one of the <$20 amazon specials back in 2013 but that one lasted about 3 months and froze to death in the winter about a week out of warranty (90days). This has survived so far, now to see about summer heat.

I bought it for $40 but it's currently listed at half off, 32gb card.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/444527/T18HD_720p_H264_24_LCD_Dashcam_with_G-Sensor

snowplow
cruiser

day sample
night sample

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
https://youtu.be/KM51Yrd33Es
View Quote

Sorry that happened dude but that probably is your fault.  You're not really supposed to back into parking spots unless they are parallel.  Much like you aren't supposed to pull through them either. Your video shows a perfect example why as well.  It looks like you were about to back into another spot first.  After you pulled past that spot though a car assumed you had passed it up and proceeded to pull in.  They did everything perfectly reasonable.  The car that backed into you waited for you to pass them before they backed up.  It's not reasonable to expect a car to be going backwards through a parking lot except for coming out of a parking spot.  Even the manufacturers provide a standard of reasonableness by the very name for the lights that come on when the car is in reverse.  Those same lights are purposely designed so as to not give off the amount of light necessary to drive the car that way down the road.  They are a warning more than anything.  Having a warning for vehicles backing up has become so ingrained in our habits that large vehicles give off an audible alarm.  The day is probably coming where all cars have something similar.  Crosswalks have them for the blind so why not?  

But all of that is for insurance attorney's to figure out.  I'm not trying to be a douche though I know I probably came off that way, I don't like to see people on my side of the yard have to waste there time over something so minimal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Berit:

Sorry that happened dude but that probably is your fault.  You're not really supposed to back into parking spots unless they are parallel.  Much like you aren't supposed to pull through them either. Your video shows a perfect example why as well.  It looks like you were about to back into another spot first.  After you pulled past that spot though a car assumed you had passed it up and proceeded to pull in.  They did everything perfectly reasonable.  The car that backed into you waited for you to pass them before they backed up.  It's not reasonable to expect a car to be going backwards through a parking lot except for coming out of a parking spot.  Even the manufacturers provide a standard of reasonableness by the very name for the lights that come on when the car is in reverse.  Those same lights are purposely designed so as to not give off the amount of light necessary to drive the car that way down the road.  They are a warning more than anything.  Having a warning for vehicles backing up has become so ingrained in our habits that large vehicles give off an audible alarm.  The day is probably coming where all cars have something similar.  Crosswalks have them for the blind so why not?  

But all of that is for insurance attorney's to figure out.  I'm not trying to be a douche though I know I probably came off that way, I don't like to see people on my side of the yard have to waste there time over something so minimal.
View All Quotes

Do you like to talk just to hear yourself talk because everything you said is completely fucking retarded.

1. they got in the car as I was waiting for the other car to move.
2. They didn't check their mirrors or behind them at all, othewise they would have seen me.
3. their insurance adjuster already has said they are at fault and will be repairing my vehicle.

please, for the sake of not spreading around false and utterly retarded information, stop weighing in your opinion on things you don't know about.
I'm not trying to be a douche though I know I probably came off that way, I don't like to see people on my side of the yard have to waste there time over something so minimal.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

FWIW, you're wrong.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

How's that working out for you?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RyJones:

I think most of them do that. I usually have it disabled because they record a log to the SD card, so I don't need it on the video, too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DefMan:
Anyone have one with embedded GPS coordinates and speedometer? Looking for one at a decent price.

I think most of them do that. I usually have it disabled because they record a log to the SD card, so I don't need it on the video, too.

Mine is disabled so it doesn't show on the video, but it's still in the video file. There is a register viewer that will pull the info out and display it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:

Mine is disabled so it doesn't show on the video, but it's still in the video file. There is a register viewer that will pull the info out and display it.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=88705

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
Originally Posted By DefMan:
Anyone have one with embedded GPS coordinates and speedometer? Looking for one at a decent price.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=88705

interesting. that would be better, one file
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I offer some lighter fare.

iDevice link
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:18:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#17]

iDevice

cops use DR650s

I hate those fuckers not getting out of the way

131 km/h top speed I saw

spoiler: kid wakes up as they pull in to the hospital
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
The Subaru driver sits there for 15-20 seconds with nobody in front of him.

iDevice
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#19]
The Subaru driver sits there for 15-20 seconds with nobody in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lsZa4JHrNw
iDevice
View Quote

Good on the driver. Looks like a carful and proper way to clear for the emergency vehicle.

EBR
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:52:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#20]
Originally Posted By EBR666:
Good on the driver. Looks like a carful and proper way to clear for the emergency vehicle.

EBR
View Quote

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#21]

iDevice

not the most dramatic event I've ever caught. That curb has tripped me up, too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#23]
For those looking for a cheap dash cam here is current deal.  The G1W has been praised a lot here for cheap and decent quality.  The G1W-C uses a capacitor instead of a battery.  The deal is on the G1W-CB which is a capacitor and a black ring instead of silver ring around the lens.  This makes it less noticable in vehicle.

The G1W-CB sells between $50 and $60 on Amazon with free shipping.  Gear Best has the camera for $37.14 with free shipping.  I've used Gear Best for lots of things and they are good to go.  Shipping takes 1 to 2 weeks but you can save money by being patient.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By SWIRE:

For those looking for a cheap dash cam here is current deal.  The G1W has been praised a lot here for cheap and decent quality.  The G1W-C uses a capacitor instead of a battery.  The deal is on the G1W-CB which is a capacitor and a black ring instead of silver ring around the lens.  This makes it less noticable in vehicle.

The G1W-CB sells between $50 and $60 on Amazon with free shipping.  Gear Best has the camera for $37.14 with free shipping.  I've used Gear Best for lots of things and they are good to go.  Shipping takes 1 to 2 weeks but you can save money by being patient.

your link-fu is weak

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By kar98k:

your link-fu is weak

View All Quotes

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_196898.html

your link-fu is weak

fixed
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#26]

fixed
View All Quotes

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_196898.html

your link-fu is weak

fixed

I have this cam. It works fairly well, but I have a power issue with it. Running a harness to hard-wire it, it kills my radio reception. I've tried three different grounding points, to no avail. If I unplug the camera, the radio works fine. I didn't want to use the stock 12v plug because all of my power ports are "always on".
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Small deer almost got me Thursday
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#28]
gifv

I understand not wanting to drive on a flat before you change it, but at least get out of the road
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:39:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#29]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#30]
WTF did he do there?  Attempt to Change lanes, over correct, and break it loose?
View All Quotes
WTF did he do there?  Attempt to Change lanes, over correct, and break it loose?

I think the guy in the right hand lane tapped his brakes (or let off). Middle lane was obviously faster than everyone else. I wonder if he started in the far left lane, went to pass on the right, saw our hero, ran out of ideas and altitude, and we got what we got

he obviously had plenty of airspeed

ETA:  and what kind of absolute idiot changes a tire in the middle of the center lane?

I wish I knew more about this.

ETA: now I know more about this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Strongly considering the blackvue. I have a couple questions.

What's the largest micro SD card they can take? I saw mixed results while searching.

Also if I were to buy one I'd want a second set of mounts and wiring so I could swap the camera between my car and truck. Obviously price of new would factor in but I only drive my car in the summer and it's the one that people tend to be stupid around. I saw the bracket was $20 in Canada. Anybody know of anywhere online to get the bracket and wiring in the US?

Is the only purpose to the power magic pro the fact it will protect your battery from going dead? As opposed to cutting the cigarette lighter plug off and direct wiring it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#32]
couple days ago, lady failed to stop before pulling out in front of me
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Andras:
couple days ago, lady failed to stop before pulling out in front of me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hYSlwrfkKE
View Quote

Seems like that is every day for me
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#34]
The Viefo A119 is out at some retailers now, anyone tried it?  Prelim units got really good reviews back in January, but I was waiting to see how the production units work.
http://dashcameras.net/a119-viofo/
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#35]
Good presence of mind. Hit the brakes, hit reverse, and GTFO

Mirror
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJA9itgp2-U

iDevice

View Quote

SHIT FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK OMG

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

iDevice

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
View Quote

I'd like to say I would be cooler and more composed than she was, but I doubt it
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Video is private.
View All Quotes

iDevice

Video is private.

Mirror
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I had to look at this thread. I just ordered a Viefo A119 with GPS and hard wire kit. Now I have to keep my windshield clean. Thanks.
Off to find a 64g micro card. I forgot to order on.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I was recently in Asia and after dinner decided to kill some time walking in a mall near the hotel.  Business trips can be really boring when living in hotels and far from family and friends.

Anyway.  Saw a gadgets store and could not resist checking what they had.

Saw an ASUS dash cam that looked quite nice on the specs and price and the brand is well recognized worldwide.  We can see the difference just by looking at the manual, which is very detailed.

The camera is the Reco Classic and it has cool features such as a GPS module, LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) and FCWS (Forward Collision Warning System), monitor mode (records 1 FPS if the scene does not change after a predetermined time), it can shut the monitor down also.   A very cool feature is the use of HDR to improve the image quality.

It appears it was not designed for the US since it only has metric system.

At a little more than $100 I decided to get one.  Ran a couple tests today and it performed quite well.   I'll see if I can get a side by side with my G1WC.

In the meantime here's a detailed review.

http://www.gizmoids.com/2016/01/asus-reco-classic-dash-cam-review-video-quality-samples-images-tech-specs-and-all-the-details/

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#43]
The in car video starts about 1:20

Whole thing is worth it though

Glad everyone is A O K
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#44]
The in car video starts about 1:20

Whole thing is worth it though

Glad everyone is A O K
View Quote

Damn.  Interesting to have the footage from both perspectives.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soncorn] [#46]
Here is some dash cam footage with the Thinkware F770.  It is 1080p front and back.

Apparently this guy suddenly just couldn't drive fast enough.  I let him by rather than act like a arfcom General Discussion hall monitor and put myself and others at risk in case he chose to make a dangerous maneuver.

https://youtu.be/mXjyzcP3U5s
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

My dad bought me a blackvue 650 2 channel. I had a Lukas 7900 ace, but only front mounted.  The blackvue is very nice and I like the rear video capability. Very easy to instal. Mine came with the power magic crap but I don't record when parked so no reason to install. Mine has a 128gb micro sd capacity. As to the mounts, the front cam can be removed from the mount physically, I was unable to remove the rear one from its mount but didn't try too hard. Don't cut the cig lighter.  Just go buy a cig lighter adapter and that way you can sell the cam after you upgrade down the road. I'll probably dump my Lukas in a few weeks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Strongly considering the blackvue. I have a couple questions.

What's the largest micro SD card they can take? I saw mixed results while searching.

Also if I were to buy one I'd want a second set of mounts and wiring so I could swap the camera between my car and truck. Obviously price of new would factor in but I only drive my car in the summer and it's the one that people tend to be stupid around. I saw the bracket was $20 in Canada. Anybody know of anywhere online to get the bracket and wiring in the US?

Is the only purpose to the power magic pro the fact it will protect your battery from going dead? As opposed to cutting the cigarette lighter plug off and direct wiring it?

My dad bought me a blackvue 650 2 channel. I had a Lukas 7900 ace, but only front mounted.  The blackvue is very nice and I like the rear video capability. Very easy to instal. Mine came with the power magic crap but I don't record when parked so no reason to install. Mine has a 128gb micro sd capacity. As to the mounts, the front cam can be removed from the mount physically, I was unable to remove the rear one from its mount but didn't try too hard. Don't cut the cig lighter.  Just go buy a cig lighter adapter and that way you can sell the cam after you upgrade down the road. I'll probably dump my Lukas in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered one in the last massdrop offering. I got the multi safer instead of power magic. Hoping to see it in three weeks or less. I got the smallest SD card since it is cheaper to buy one on Amazon and I also have some extras laying around.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I have my dash cam installed hardwired to comes on only when switch is on. One thing I may change
is the size of my micro card. I am going to try the smallest one,  8 gb. My thinking is I don't want to have hours of data but a couple
of hours will be good enough. If 8 don't do it I will try a 16.I am running 1080p at 60 frames.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top