Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac45] [#1]
A buddy of mine had his house burglarized a few days ago. Came home early around noon to find a strange vehicle in his driveway. Found his front door kicked in and immediately made his way back to his vehicle. As he did two black males emerged from the back of his house and headed for the vehicle in his driveway. He asked if he could help them they responded with a "fuck you." one jumped in and started the car while the other attempted to hide the plates from his view. He went for his gun he usually carries in his truck but found that he had forgotten it in the house.

He dialed 911 and attempted to pursue but eventually lost them. After LE arrived he found all his electronics and his safe staged at the door. Only thing missing was two handguns. One of which was the one he normally has with him. It dawned on him that he noticed they were attempting to conceal something in their waistbands as they made their getaway!

LE caught up with them as he was filling out the paperwork. A short pursuit ensued, LE spiked their tires and one ended up getting dog bit. They both now sit in the county jail. Happy ending for a crazy story that very well could have went sideways.

He is now very much on board with the security thing. He got an alarm system, better lighting, reenforced doors and he takes carrying a firearm alot more seriously. He and the family are obviously still shaken up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
once it happens a lot of people want to move right away, ive lived in nice areas and shitty areas and they rob you just the same. part of the time its people you know or live next to it seems. Your friend did not get hurt, so that's good and they did get caught another +1. Hopefully they get some serious time, hope your friend will testify if he needs to.

Our house got robbed 2 1/2 times when i was a kid, 2 different houses. Once some black guy got in somehow and my dad went to take a leak and heard something and the guy ran past him out the door after grabbing my moms purse. i was just a little kid so dont remember much.
The other time I was with my mom and we got home, and when we opened the door some papers and mail fell out the door. At first we thought the cat did it, then we saw all kinds of things moved or knocked over and my mom yelled get out of the house i ran to the car, but she ran next door to the neighbor and called the cops, but they were long gone. Seems we left the kitchen window cracked open a little and they pushed in the screen and opened it up and climbed in. Years later I found out it was one of my mom's ex boyfriends that robbed us. Whats stupid is he had a bit of money and a good job, but i guess he was nuts or something since my mom dumped him.

House got robbed once when i was sleeping by people we knew, i went to school with the girl, and i did not know her boyfriend, that was just a bullshit mess.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always been a fan of making my house less appealing.

I frosted the window to the garage.

Exterior doors with glass (front and rear french doors) are double sided deadbolts with a key about 4 feet away. (my county uses "The International Fire Code, 2006 edition" which seems to be strictly for commercial or rental.)

All exterior doors (including fire door) are reenforced with 3" screws at the hinges (both sides) AND strike plates.  One double headed 16penny nail that locks the hinge together when closed.

alarm stickers at all windows and doors

80# protective golden retriever with large water bowls at front and rear doors.

I keep the exterior lights on 24/7 as my street does not have street lights.

I have no fences as of this time unfortunately.

When I do put fences in 6"-10" river rock will be placed in a 3" parimeter inside the fence (and outside on the front yard).  This is to prevent someone from jumping over the fence and landing on flat feet.  Ankles are easly rolled if they land on the rocks.

My easiest entry is the basement windows.  Perp can jump into the window well and take their time to break the glass or work the lock.  PVC pipes are in the tracts, but no real security is possible.  I am not doing bars and there is no 3M dealer within 3.5 hours of my little town.

We keep the toys in the garage. I park a '98 cherokee in the side yard parking that is my DD, and it looks crappy.  I don't have any stickers that advertize my hobbies on my cars or house (paintball, guns, etc.).

We live in a nice house in a relitively nice neighborhood.  But MOST of my neighbors have much nicer cars, boats, RVs and off road toys in their front yards.  I try to look like a non-target as much as possible.

I have taken pictures of my serial numbers and have them saved on my e-mail, but do not update it as often as I should.

my future plans for valuables retention in case of a break in is:

tohave a cheap wood and glass display case for the firearms that are inexpensive or relatively unusable (old rusted mauser, mosin etc) and have a hidden/camoflaged space for the "good" guns.

I would like cameras, especially for my driveway (because I can't really see it well from upstairs), but am not there yet.  

we just moved in a year ago.  I am trying to make progress towards security along with all of the other new house expences.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always been against letting people know I own guns. Yeah it may prevent a home invasion if they know, but it also makes you an obvious jackpot when you're not home.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, how about compiling all the good ideas into the OP for those of us that are too lazy to read through.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By all4freedom:
Originally Posted By PigBat:
Spray the inside of the garage windows with clear matte spray paint. You still get the light, but they can't see in. Costs you $2 and takes 5 min.

Great idea! I might give that a try. Kind of like the frosting on some bathroom windows.

Yeah the house location, floor plan and general specs, except for finishes were all set when we found out about its construction. Otherwise I'd have made a few tweaks here and there. And agreed, I have no plans of large landscaping or a fence at this point to give perps a place to hide as they work.

Oh don't do that. I just spent days scraping paint off windows. Put on some blurry cling film. They give you a nice frosted glass look and the next owners won't have to deal with paint.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]
How effective are the hurricane rated doors and windows w/ laminated glass?

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PigBat:
Spray the inside of the garage windows with clear matte spray paint. You still get the light, but they can't see in. Costs you $2 and takes 5 min.

Great idea! I might give that a try. Kind of like the frosting on some bathroom windows.

Yeah the house location, floor plan and general specs, except for finishes were all set when we found out about its construction. Otherwise I'd have made a few tweaks here and there. And agreed, I have no plans of large landscaping or a fence at this point to give perps a place to hide as they work.

I had mine tinted with limo tint.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

Interested in knowing this as well...
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]

my friends neighbor had them installed, she wanted to see out without boarding up the windows. never heard of a problem, but storms not hit this area as tough as others since she got them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]

I had 8mil applied to my sliding glass doors and the windows around the front door. There are videos on trying to break in...Google it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Originally Posted By Plattekill:

I had 8mil applied to my sliding glass doors and the windows around the front door. There are videos on trying to break in...Google it.

What's the name of your video?

I think he means google the 3M film.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Plattekill:

I hope it was applied by someone who knew what they were doing.  Too many threads have been posted about people installing protective glass films improperly.  Is your film applied so that the edges are secured with adhesive or a flashing to the frame?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Believe it or not, large breed dogs are one of the single best deterrents that there is for the common criminal looking for an easy opportunity.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Very effective.  They will splinter or shatter but that's it (no penetration).  I was at one scene where the suspect tried throwing a brick at several different windows and could not gain entry.  At that point he fled because a neighbor heard him.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By d90king:
Believe it or not, large breed dogs are one of the single best deterrents that there is for the common criminal looking for an easy opportunity.

This is not always true.  Refer to one of my previous posts earlier in the thread.  It has to be the right dog with good guarding instincts.  (German shepard, pitbull, malinois, etc.)

I have seen several burglaries to home that had large dogs on scene.  The dogs would get scared and shit in the house.  I think the suspects hit them with a shovel, stick, bat, etc.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a long driveway and have been surprised by a car horn or a car door being closed. I bought a wireless alarm. That problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By SightsOnTarget:

Very effective.  They will splinter or shatter but that's it (no penetration).  I was at one scene where the suspect tried throwing a brick at several different windows and could not gain entry.  At that point he fled because a neighbor heard him.

That's great to hear.  Ours were ordered this way not user applied film btw...

-slice
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#22]

A french friend of mine was robbed and I told her to get a dog. She told me that in France the thieves feed the dog a piece of cheese with some valium in it. Apparently that shuts them up pretty quick.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Lines of defense for any unwanted guests:
1. New alarm system
2. My little man, 60 lbs bull terrier named Wesson (like Smith & Wesson, not like wesson oil.) Seen him pissed a couple of times and i wouldnt want any part of him if i didnt know him. And he loves my wife, no doubt he would lay  down his life before he'd let anyone hurt her or me.
3. Keep em loaded! Gun unload is like having a pen with no ink.
4. 911

Had a couple of guys break in and steal some stuff from a house my mom and myself where living in when i was younger. Could have turned out alot different if i didnt have a summer job. It takes awhile to get over the feeling like your being watched. I want to ensure my kids never have to go through that.

I have also read that your house is 80% less likely to get broken into if you have an American flag flying in the yard, but don't really know how accurate that is. Stay safe everyone and God Bless.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#24]
i have a front point security alarm system, I like it because i can arm it from my phone, the panel, or the internet. they also keep track of sensor activity even if disarmed. they also have a 2 stage disarm so you can disarm the house but have a safe, med cab, or any other place you want secured 24/7 sound an alarm, along with that you can get text/emails of senor activity and sensor left open !!! you can also intgreat this with z-wave smart home and use some of that stuff.

I love my system and have had it since 2009, and no I do not get a discount for doing this, if i did my system would pay for itself every month

they also offer cameras and offsite storage, fire, and water monitoring along with panic buttons and medical buttons.

I'm a very happy customer, they even gave you the program code to make changes to your system if you want. and you can self install since everything is wireless :) work great if you rent.

They are working using your phone too so if you phone is so far away from you house the system arms in case you forget.

and they have some of the best customer service I have ever gotten

http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

check them out, but dont take my word, goggle them

I can give you my customer code an you will get a discount and i will get one month free service, PM if you want, but i'm not that worried about $39.99 I would rather your home be safe !!
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By turbov6camaro:
i have a front point security alarm system, I like it because i can arm it from my phone, the panel, or the internet. they also keep track of sensor activity even if disarmed. they also have a 2 stage disarm so you can disarm the house but have a safe, med cab, or any other place you want secured 24/7 sound an alarm, along with that you can get text/emails of senor activity and sensor left open !!! you can also intgreat this with z-wave smart home and use some of that stuff.

I love my system and have had it since 2009, and no I do not get a discount for doing this, if i did my system would pay for itself every month

they also offer cameras and offsite storage, fire, and water monitoring along with panic buttons and medical buttons.

I'm a very happy customer, they even gave you the program code to make changes to your system if you want. and you can self install since everything is wireless :) work great if you rent.

They are working using your phone too so if you phone is so far away from you house the system arms in case you forget.

and they have some of the best customer service I have ever gotten
http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

check them out, but dont take my word, goggle them

I can give you my customer code an you will get a discount and i will get one month free service, PM if you want, but i'm not that worried about $39.99 I would rather your home be safe !!

Thats great. The system we are getting can be armed the same way, by phone, and is going to be wireless. I was wondering how people like them.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Back in college a neighbor locked herself out of her house taking out the trash.  She came and knocked on our door and asked to use the phone since she'd left hers inside and had food on the stove.  She called her husband but he was in a meeting so she was out of luck.  My housemate and I offered to go up to her house with her and see if we could get in with a credit card, and she agreed.  

Due to the weather stripping, we didn't have any luck with that.  But then I realized there was another way in.  I pulled her trash can out and used it to climb up on the roof.  I was able to back out the screws in her skylight with my pocket knife in less than a minute.  I dropped down into her house and came through and unlocked the door for her.

Here's the interesting part:  She had a dog; a big pit bull looking mix that laid on its pillow and watched me the whole time.  Didn't even move.  

I heard later that seeing how easy it was for me to get in freaked her out and they made some security upgrades.

Not being a professional burglar, the takeaway for me was:  

1. Make sure ALL entry points to your house are secure and
2. Don't assume a dog is going to protect your property
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Greenfeet:
Back in college a neighbor locked herself out of her house taking out the trash.  She came and knocked on our door and asked to use the phone since she'd left hers inside and had food on the stove.  She called her husband but he was in a meeting so she was out of luck.  My housemate and I offered to go up to her house with her and see if we could get in with a credit card, and she agreed.  

Due to the weather stripping, we didn't have any luck with that.  But then I realized there was another way in.  I pulled her trash can out and used it to climb up on the roof.  I was able to back out the screws in her skylight with my pocket knife in less than a minute.  I dropped down into her house and came through and unlocked the door for her.

Here's the interesting part:  She had a dog; a big pit bull looking mix that laid on its pillow and watched me the whole time.  Didn't even move.  

I heard later that seeing how easy it was for me to get in freaked her out and they made some security upgrades.

Not being a professional burglar, the takeaway for me was:  

1. Make sure ALL entry points to your house are secure and
2. Don't assume a dog is going to protect your property

Good point. It depends on the day how my little alarm (dog) reacts when someone is coming into the house. I've seen him get pretty spun up when i come in at times. And others he just hangs out like he knows its me. Not sure how or why they act different at certain times. I do know that he acts completely different when he is with my wife though, like he is on high alert all the time.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#28]
My parent's dog had a built-in timer.  It knew when my father would get off work. and would wait for the sound of the truck pulling in the driveway.  Any other time it would run to the window, look out, then begin to bark.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 2:49:59 AM EDT
[#29]
The weakest point of every entry door are insufficient locks, followed by the door jamb and then if the door has a window or glass nearby.

Every entry door needs a deadbolt, every deadbolt needs door jamb reinforcement the strike plate that comes with it is worthless with it's 1/4" screws and 1/8" plywood surrounding. It takes nothing to kick in a door.

3"-4" screws are an absolute must when installing the strike plate to secure it to the king stud not just the weak frame. and either reinforce the entire door jamb vertically or install a heavy duty security strike plate and secure all screw holes with 3"-4" screws into the king stud not just the jamb.

do not forget to replace the 1/4" hinge screws as well with longer screws.

The doors on your home were installed to look appealing not for security, 10 deadbolts are useless when it only takes at most 2 swift kicks to breach the jamb.

If your door has a decorative window I suggest either replacing the door with a solid core steel door or replace the glass with security glass as well as if it has a decorative side window "usually for plants" security panes aren't THAT expensive. and it 's like plexiglass on steroids.

As far as windows are concerned, security hasn't really done much to protect these you're limited to bars or film there is one company that makes a security screen almost impossible to penetrate but in an emergency can be opened from the inside but these are very expensive.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By btn13:

A french friend of mine was robbed and I told her to get a dog. She told me that in France the thieves feed the dog a piece of cheese with some valium in it. Apparently that shuts them up pretty quick.

In Italy gypsy crews will gas the residents and then cut their way in.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#31]
The Discovery Channel had a show, 'It Takes A Thief', that aired from '05 to '07.  Back then I'd watch every episode I could.  The episodes are still available to watch online.

It Takes A Thief: Wiki

Just a suggestion, but a lot of good info can be gleaned from that show.

And, I am not a thief!

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jixxerbeast:
Every entry door needs a deadbolt, every deadbolt needs door jamb reinforcement the strike plate that comes with it is worthless with it's 1/4" screws and 1/8" plywood surrounding. It takes nothing to kick in a door.

3"-4" screws are an absolute must when installing the strike plate to secure it to the king stud not just the weak frame. and either reinforce the entire door jamb vertically or install a heavy duty security strike plate and secure all screw holes with 3"-4" screws into the king stud not just the jamb.
do not forget to replace the 1/4" hinge screws as well with longer screws.

The doors on your home were installed to look appealing not for security, 10 deadbolts are useless when it only takes at most 2 swift kicks to breach the jamb.

I did screw in a security strike plate with 4in screws.  When they kicked the door the jamb held up just fine thanks to the strike plate and screws.

Unfortunately the door itself was wood core, and it split right down the middle and puked both the handle and dead bolt mechanisms right out onto the floor.  

I installed a two hole version of this on the new door, but don't have the guts to test it to see how strong it is:

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 4:22:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb0311] [#33]
Originally Posted By BallisticTip:
From this thread.

Things Your Burglar Wont Tell You

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom-and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door-understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather..

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're  security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs crimedoctor.com; and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book Burglars on the Job.

Protection for you and your home

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. (I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.)

Wasp Spray

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection... Thought this was interesting and might be of use..

Wasp And Hornet Spray

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says, "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

Great post.  I'd add (in addition to not posting when you're going to be away on FB, and in spite of every other thread in this section) -

Don't post pics of your gun collection, gun room, security measures, etc. online.  A couple of years ago I mentioned this in a thread where a guy had ingeniously disguised his safe, but posted pictures of it right here on AR15.com.  He poo pooed my suggestion, but in just a few days a number of other members were able to figure out where he lived.  If I was a criminal who wanted to steal guns, I would use this whole section for targeting.  Oh, you built a vault out of concrete?  Ok, thanks for posting that, I'll bring an industrial cutter.  Your safe isn't bolted down because you think it's so heavy no one will take it?  Cool. I'll bring a pallet jack.

I think the most important step in security is to simply not share information.  I think too many people here don't even consider this, but just post pictures for the "Hey, that's awesome!" internet circle jerk.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Windows large enough for entry are an easy way to get into the home as well. Security film can delay or prevent the perp from gaining entry, and buy you time if you hear the glass break.

We have the 3M security film on our large windows next to the front door and on the sliding glass doors leading outside to the backyard.

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#35]
FWIW- if your safe is not decorative (no graphics), and just looks like a box, I'd recommend putting some of those "warning electrical current inside, if opened shock can be lethal". Most theives won't chance it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Might be cheaper to create a baby room (if you don't have a baby) and put your valuables in the diaper pail, in the toy box, under the Legos..... or under a permanent laundry bin full of socks....
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pete7072] [#37]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacitMayhem:

Windows large enough for entry are an easy way to get into the home as well. Security film can delay or prevent the perp from gaining entry, and buy you time if you hear the glass break.

We have the 3M security film on our large windows next to the front door and on the sliding glass doors leading outside to the backyard.

Shattergard

3M Security Window Films

How it works - actual film of burglars

View Quote

I don't want to say anything negative about this product... BUT ,,,,  We have a local store that has been burglarized 3 times in the past 6 months. Each time glass front door was shattered with a brick or rock, alarm sounded, patrol responded after the burglar fled. After the second time, the owner had the 3M product installed. Patrol responded to the 3rd burg, and found the whole piece of glass shattered but stuck together due to the film. The whole glass piece was lying on the ground. Better than nothing, but they still got in. I'm assuming that there was more to the video. Maybe a double or triple pained glass window or door?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#38]
3M "Impact Protection Adhesive" (similar to caulking) is designed to greatly improve the performance of the window film by adhering it to the window frame, whereby it improves the likelihood that the laminated glass/film will be retained in the window opening, rather than separating from the window frame as a large sheet of film/glass being pushed to the floor by the impact.

Also, I know that many claims about "security window films" are made by vendors, but almost every "test video" shows 1/2" tempered glass being used as the substrate for the film. Typical single glazed window glass is 1/8" common float glass. The difference in strength is several orders of magnitude.

Additionally, take note of the 3M product disclaimer, as follows: IMPORTANT NOTICE: This product is not approved in the State of Florida for use as hurricane, windstorm, or impact protection from wind-borne debris from a hurricane or windstorm. In compliance with Florida Statute 553.842, this product may not be advertised, sold, offered, provided, distributed, or marketed in the State of Florida as hurricane, windstorm, or impact protection from wind-borne debris from a hurricane or windstorm.

Florida has a very large impact window industry, and laminated impact glass windows are tested and certified. Those windows will generally repel burglars who toss a rock or spark plug at them, but even they succumb to burglars who utilize the appropriate tools.

If you want to do additional research, there is a wealth of information pertaining to the window films and impact windows available on the web.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Not enough has been said about knowing one's neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Col_B:
3M "Impact Protection Adhesive" (similar to caulking) is designed to greatly improve the performance of the window film by adhering it to the window frame, whereby it improves the likelihood that the laminated glass/film will be retained in the window opening, rather than separating from the window frame as a large sheet of film/glass being pushed to the floor by the impact.

Also, I know that many claims about "security window films" are made by vendors, but almost every "test video" shows 1/2" tempered glass being used as the substrate for the film. Typical single glazed window glass is 1/8" common float glass. The difference in strength is several orders of magnitude.

Additionally, take note of the 3M product disclaimer, as follows: IMPORTANT NOTICE: This product is not approved in the State of Florida for use as hurricane, windstorm, or impact protection from wind-borne debris from a hurricane or windstorm. In compliance with Florida Statute 553.842, this product may not be advertised, sold, offered, provided, distributed, or marketed in the State of Florida as hurricane, windstorm, or impact protection from wind-borne debris from a hurricane or windstorm.

Florida has a very large impact window industry, and laminated impact glass windows are tested and certified. Those windows will generally repel burglars who toss a rock or spark plug at them, but even they succumb to burglars who utilize the appropriate tools.

If you want to do additional research, there is a wealth of information pertaining to the window films and impact windows available on the web.
View Quote

I'm guessing there is a big difference between what you stated, and the standard security film that is just placed over the glass
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pete7072:

I'm guessing there is a big difference between what you stated, and the standard security film that is just placed over the glass
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pete7072:

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to, however what I was attempting to communicate is that:

1. 3M film when applied to windows without the Impact Protection Adhesive, can result in the glass and film potentially not being retained in the window frame.  That is, they can be pushed out of the opening together.  The window then becomes a "door".

2. The 3M Impact Protection Adhesive is intended to "glue" the window film to the window frame, to prevent the foregoing.

3. The "test" videos show 1/2" tempered glass, not 1/8" annealed glass (which is what most residential windows are glazed with.  That is a like comparing aluminum foil to steel plate.

4.  In Florida, where they have regulated impact / wind-load testing and certifications for fenestration products, rated windows glazed with impact glass (typically 5/16" or 7/16" laminated "sandwich" incorporating an 0.090" (typ) interlayer of PVB (or superior interlayer), those windows are generally very resistant to penetration by impacting objects, but even they are sometimes breached by burglars who use appropriate cutting tools.

5. Also in Florida, there is actually a State Statute regulating impact glass, and resultantly 3M is obligated to post (on their website and printed literature) a disclosure that 3M Security Window Films cannot be represented, advertised, sold, etc. in Florida as being impact protection or storm protection.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to, however what I was attempting to communicate is that:

1. 3M film when applied to windows without the Impact Protection Adhesive, can result in the glass and film potentially not being retained in the window frame.  That is, they can be pushed out of the opening together.  The window then becomes a "door".

2. The 3M Impact Protection Adhesive is intended to "glue" the window film to the window frame, to prevent the foregoing.

3. The "test" videos show 1/2" tempered glass, not 1/8" annealed glass (which is what most residential windows are glazed with.  That is a like comparing aluminum foil to steel plate.

4.  In Florida, where they have regulated impact / wind-load testing and certifications for fenestration products, rated windows glazed with impact glass (typically 5/16" or 7/16" laminated "sandwich" incorporating an 0.090" (typ) interlayer of PVB (or superior interlayer), those windows are generally very resistant to penetration by impacting objects, but even they are sometimes breached by burglars who use appropriate cutting tools.

5. Also in Florida, there is actually a State Statute regulating impact glass, and resultantly 3M is obligated to post (on their website and printed literature) a disclosure that 3M Security Window Films cannot be represented, advertised, sold, etc. in Florida as being impact protection or storm protection.

View Quote

Would you be interested in starting a thread to discuss impact resistant glass options?  I understand the 3M product isn't as great as it initially sounds, but I'm not sure what I should be looking at as an alternative.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By The_Schweitz:
Would you be interested in starting a thread to discuss impact resistant glass options?  I understand the 3M product isn't as great as it initially sounds, but I'm not sure what I should be looking at as an alternative.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Schweitz:

I'd be interested as well

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 10:15:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: all4freedom] [#44]
Great progress in this thread guys. Since I've never had a sticky before, I need to do the work and organize some more of these in to the OP.

Recently a friend of ours had her home broken in to by a serial burglar who has since been caught luckily. She had an ugly mid-size yipping dog. The perp burlarized their home, but not before beating and stomping her dog nearly to death. She found the dog in a pool of his own blood, convulsing with seizures. The dog is making a slow, expensive recovery. Our 70 lb Lab can be trusted to be loose in the house and will run to the door any time he senses someone their or the doorbell rings, but at the same time I have a fear of a similar incident to our friend.

I've attempted to continue to harden our home. I've sprung for a Simplisafe alarm system and so far it seems to be working. Next will be cameras with remote access viewing.

As for our discussion of lock and door hardware, check out these dandy screws I removed as soon as we moved in our new home. Good quality locks with hardware like this.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killingmachine123] [#45]

Great progress in this thread guys. Since I've never had a sticky before, I need to do the work and organize some more of these in to the OP.

Recently a friend of ours had her home broken in to by a serial burglar who has since been caught luckily. She had an ugly mid-size yipping dog. The perp burlarized their home, but not before beating and stomping her dog nearly to death. She found the dog in a pool of his own blood, convulsing with seizures. The dog is making a slow, expensive recovery. Our 70 lb Lab can be trusted to be loose in the house and will run to the door any time he senses someone their or the doorbell rings, but at the same time I have a fear of a similar incident to our friend.

I've attempted to continue to harden our home. I've sprung for a Simplisafe alarm system and so far it seems to be working. Next will be cameras with remote access viewing.
As for our discussion of lock and door hardware, check out these dandy screws I removed as soon as we moved in our new home. Good quality locks with hardware like this.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/563691_666338966734189_342570482_n.jpg
View Quote

Most people don't recognize that their dog won't bite someone when it counts. We've bread that out of most all of them.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Most people don't recognize that their dog won't bite someone when it counts. We've bread that out of most all of them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/563691_666338966734189_342570482_n.jpg

Absolutely. I work with bite work dogs. If your dog doesn't bite now, his odds of biting someone who politely walks in to your home is about zero.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Invest in a dog designed to get the job done.  My Great Pyrenees will absolutely never bite me and will properly handle any intruder
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#48]
rely on a dog that is not security trained is like hoping your 6 year old will call 911 in an emergency are large dogs a deterrent sure but if you think your dog will bit an intruder you  in most cases you are kidding yourself. And if that attacker has a cheeseburger to give him then your cause is really lost.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I agree that expecting an untrained lab to pass up a cheese burger or tennis ball from an intruder may be unrealistic, but they are not guard dogs.
That's the same as my 6 year old who has not been bred & trained for 1000 generations to dial 911.
In contrast a Great Pyrenees has been bred to guard property from thieves.  They have done so for thousands of years - possibly as many as 10,000.  That's what they do - what they are.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#50]
it all depends on the dog, my last one never bit me, but if someone walked up on me or him fast, he would let them know whats up. If they kept coming he would grab them.

PSA for the thread window film or something to help secure those weak sliding glass doors should be looked at. They busted into my neighbor across the streets house this morning and smashed the slider to get in. or put rollup/accordian shutters on it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top