Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:46:31 AM EDT
I'm kind of surprised I couldn't find this in a search, but what kind of carpet is typically in gun safes?

I've got a cheap stack on with the heavy gray and black carpet internally. I wanted to make some modifications to the inside, but it will involve recarpeting or finding additional carpet.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's felt not carpet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Any outdoor carpet would work fine. That will give you something with a heavier/tighter weave that won't get caught on the edges/corners, sights of your guns. You can probably use what ever you like though. Shag carpet would be pimp, add a disco ball and some cheesy disco music and your guns will be dancing all night long! I'd pay money to see that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Home Depot & Lowes usually sell outdoor carpet in 6' widths. They'll cut it to length for you, so you'll get 6 x whatever, then use a razor knife to trim to fit. It can be very inexpensive and they should have a few choices of styles and colors.
Also you could try a stereo/ car radio parts outlet as they should sell the heavy felt-like product that speaker box makers use. That's a good choice, too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't even think about speakerbox felt. That would be PERFECT! :D

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
How would you attach the carpet or felt? Is there a particular type of adhesive made for this?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
you can get a spray adhesive from lowes...  don't use outdoor carpet!  go with the felt stuff....
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that automotive carpet is very similar (if not identical) to the stuff that you find lining safes.

My local WalMart sells a pretty large sized roll of this stuff for $10.
Top Top