Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2009 10:12:04 AM EDT
Like many people, I bought a house with a Brinks security system. We do not have a landline, and do not want to pay to have the service monitored.

I am trying to convince my wife that we should spend some money on it and put in a user-configurable system. Can I please get some help in coming up with an esitimate of what a replacement system would cost?

What we have:
Brinks BHS 3000c control panel
2 Brinks keypads
1 door sensor
1 motion sensor
1 siren/speaker

What we want to add:
Configureable control panel
2 more door sensors
2 more motion sensors
1 garage door sensor (or motion detctor in garage)
external siren/speaker and strobe
posibility to upgrade to cellular self-monitoring at some point in the future
posibility to add fire/smoke alarms
posibility to add flood sensor

I am assuming we will have to replace the keypads as well as the control board. What boards will work with our current sensors, and is cost-effective (cheap.)

We do not need wireless, IF we can use the same wire runs for our current equipment.

(PS, if you know how to make our current Brinks system useable, that would be great too.)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

(PS, if you know how to make our current Brinks system useable, that would be great too.)

My brother-in-law has the same issue.  His house was set up by a company prior to him buying it (previous owner, I guess) and now he wants to activate the alarm system without resubscribing somewhere.  I can't figure it out, so hopefully someone else here can.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Brinks was installed in our home when we moved in. We didn't know the code and ended up reactivating the service, which I now believe was a big mistake. We ended up F'ing ourselves by signing up for a three year package, which is spendy. I don't have any complaints about the actual service, but I'll be ripping it and replacing with a wireless or wired system I install on my own. I will not have it monitored. I figure with posted signs outside most burglars will assume its going to be hooked up to a service anyway.

More than anything, an alarm is a tripwire for me to load up heavy and defend the family. It also provides some level of peace of mind when I'm away on business and my family remains at home.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck trying to unlock a Brinks system or a ADT, both companies consider the installer codes intellectual property. Meaning even if you paid for the system and components the codes belong to them. Its their way of forcing you to use them. There was a guy online who was giving out the info for them and now has a lawsuit against him from Brinks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Find out what the component sensors are.  What brand they are.  Then buy an alarm kit with a new keypad and panel that will work with them.  I have no idea what brinks uses?

If nothing else you could just use the old wires that are run and replace the sensors too.  Wired door and window sensors are cheap.  Call a low voltage supply house in your area.

Good luck finding the codes.  None of the forums online seem to allow posting of them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Find out what the component sensors are.  What brand they are.  Then buy an alarm kit with a new keypad and panel that will work with them.  I have no idea what brinks uses?

If nothing else you could just use the old wires that are run and replace the sensors too.  Wired door and window sensors are cheap.  Call a low voltage supply house in your area.

Good luck finding the codes.  None of the forums online seem to allow posting of them.

The reason they dont post them is they dont want to be sued, Brinks has a lawsuit against one guy for posting them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I think they should be sued for extortion.  Why the hell can't it just be a simple "on/off" switch?

Is there an aftermarket company that sells the whatever it is that needs to be replaced with an on/off switch?
And what would need to be replaced, the guts of the main box?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Its the codes programed into the board, if the installer "locks' the system from programming you need to replace the board in the panel. Then program in all your zones, report codes etc
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You can use the existing wires and sensors, just need to change out the end-of-line resistors to match the new panel. Nearly all systems and sensors operate on a 12 volt system. Depending on age, some sirens are actually just speakers with the siren driver in the panel. Hook up the siren directly to a 12 volt battery to verify.

If it is an Ademco panel, entering the programming section can be done by powering down the panel, hooking it back up, then hiting the #and * button at the same time for a few seconds. If #and * dont work, try the 1 and 3 buttons.

If you are in need of a new panel, I can send you a new panel, keypad, battery, transformer from DSC, which is my favorite panel to install. I could program the panel for you here, and send it to you. You would have to replace the eol resistors and program the time and date and user codes.

I own a security alarm business, been installing for 14 years now. The resistors are what make the panel know if the circuit is good, the sensors let it know if a door or motion detector is open.

Outside sirens are great if you have neighbors, and monitoring does not need to be hooked up. I charge $15 per month for monitoring.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The Brinks panel is made by Ademco but it is proprietary and can't be monitored by another company.
Other Ademco panels can be reprogrammed to be monitored by anybody or just used locally.
Brinks also uses a speaker instead of a siren so you would have to change that also.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Like many people, I bought a house with a Brinks security system. We do not have a landline, and do not want to pay to have the service monitored.

I am trying to convince my wife that we should spend some money on it and put in a user-configurable system. Can I please get some help in coming up with an esitimate of what a replacement system would cost?

What we have:
Brinks BHS 3000c control panel
2 Brinks keypads
1 door sensor
1 motion sensor
1 siren/speaker

What we want to add:
Configureable control panel
2 more door sensors
2 more motion sensors
1 garage door sensor (or motion detctor in garage)
external siren/speaker and strobe
posibility to upgrade to cellular self-monitoring at some point in the future
posibility to add fire/smoke alarms
posibility to add flood sensor

I am assuming we will have to replace the keypads as well as the control board. What boards will work with our current sensors, and is cost-effective (cheap.)

We do not need wireless, IF we can use the same wire runs for our current equipment.

[/quote

Are you sure you only have 1 Dr contact?You are looking to add a lot of equipment to that system.If you don't want monitoring you are going to have a hard time finding a company to install it
your best bet would be to find an installer to do the job on the side.Just to give you an idea of cost this is what we charge.
motions 165
smoke detectors 99
Dr/window contacts 70
motions 165
flood detector 150
outside siren  180    don't waste you money
cell radio 250   you will need if you want monitoring but don't have a phone
overhead Dr contact 100
control panel with keypad 149

Before the holy shit what a rip off crowd.......Most local low voltage stores will not sell you equipment but if you knew what you needed and knew how to hook it up you can get equipment online.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top