Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 9:18:36 AM EDT
So, I asked about the CSASS (.308) and the release and dates are unknown if at all--I hope though.

Another question and idea even. Since the 5.56/300 platform is out, what would it take for someone to make a precision barrel for one?

What else would be involved from an operational standpoint? Not considering the stock just yet although a good machinist could at least make an adjustable riser for the wire folder or even the newer stock appears to have slots similar to the CTR.

Thoughts?

Mark
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, it's very possible.  I have several lengths of 556 barrels - while I've never tried to shoot tiny holes in paper with any of them, they are all very accurate.  I regularly make hits on small-man sized (17"x10") steel targets out to 300m with my 11.5" 556.  That's just as far as i've ever shot it.  

Not exactly "precision", but shows you how accurate the rifle is already.  With the proper barrel extension, any of the big barrel makers could make a "match" barrel a reality.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
So, maybe get ahold of a shot out barrel and use the parts from it and have one made by a good smith. I'm talking an honest 3/4-1" reliably. I think Sig should make them
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, maybe get ahold of a shot out barrel and use the parts from it and have one made by a good smith. I'm talking an honest 3/4-1" reliably. I think Sig should make them
View Quote
Ill try to find some time in the next couple of weeks to sit down with 11.5" and 16" 556 barrels and magnified optics and shoot some groups at 100, 200 and 300 and report back.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ill try to find some time in the next couple of weeks to sit down with 11.5" and 16" 556 barrels and magnified optics and shoot some groups at 100, 200 and 300 and report back.
View Quote
I'm so into this.  It seems like no one talks about accuracy anymore.  Reminds me of the "why have a 911 when you can only go 35 to the store." I like knowing it's there.  Sig use to be known as exceptionaly accurate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I did this with the .300 (16"), Barnes 110 Vortex with a 1-4 Leupold at 100. Not bad, need to check the 5.56 one day. CCB on number one

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Both of my MCX rifles have impressed me with the accuracy they have. I have shot mine out to 600m with excellent results. I would say they shoot as well as any of my nitride barreled ARs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking there's some confusion here as to what I was after. Not questioning the stock MXC and it's accuracy, it's potential or comparison to other carbines. I'm referring to adding a precision barrel as one intended to offer increased accuracy similar to when one would take an AR based gun and add a match grade barrel as in "SPR". Sure, I've banged 12" plates out to 400 with a 10.5 LMT SBR and an Aimpoint, but I got further and had better accuracy with a SS match barrel and NF scope.

The CSASS submission had a Bartlein SS match barrel fitted as I understand, so I was thinking of the same concept with the 5.56 platform.

Just looking at the platform and maybe some potential to "expand" it's offerings.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm thinking there's some confusion here as to what I was after. Not questioning the stock MXC and it's accuracy, it's potential or comparison to other carbines. I'm referring to adding a precision barrel as one intended to offer increased accuracy similar to when one would take an AR based gun and add a match grade barrel as in "SPR". Sure, I've banged 12" plates out to 400 with a 10.5 LMT SBR and an Aimpoint, but I got further and had better accuracy with a SS match barrel and NF scope.

The CSASS submission had a Bartlein SS match barrel fitted as I understand, so I was thinking of the same concept with the 5.56 platform.

Just looking at the platform and maybe some potential to "expand" it's offerings.
View Quote
Gotcha. I do think with reloads mine would be sub moa. 1/2 moa I don't know, probably not.

I was seeing around 1.25 moa with IMI 77g out to 500m with my newer MCX. Hornady 75g right at 1 moa with the older MCX.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
1.25 isn't bad actually for that barrel, better than most AR's unless you get lucky. Maybe in a few weeks I can test mine with some match ammo. Never shot it with anything but ball and a red dot.

Looking for something like this as a norm-18" BCM SS

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1.25 isn't bad actually for that barrel, better than most AR's unless you get lucky. Maybe in a few weeks I can test mine with some match ammo. Never shot it with anything but ball and a red dot.

Looking for something like this as a norm-18" BCM SS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/037_zpsdzksdx8g.jpg
View Quote
The norm? I don't know I've always been one to perfer to evaluate a rifles accuracy using the average of several groups. I've never really thought one three round group tells much.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The norm? I don't know I've always been one to perfer to evaluate a rifles accuracy using the average of several groups. I've never really thought one three round group tells much.
View Quote
If you look close that's 4 or 5 shots.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's just one and don't have other pics--but you may want to look closer at that "3" round group----

Found this Company, may see what they can do but will be a while.

http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's just one and don't have other pics--but you may want to look closer at that "3" round group----

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PMM is legit - they're just down the road from our factory, but solid guy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Great, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
For giggles one day I put one of my nightforce scopes on my MCX (16" 5.56) and a bipod. 

Stock rifle with bipod and sandbag shooting handloaded 77gr Noslers got me an average of right at an inch at 100 yards. Well, technically 103 yards. 

I was pretty impressed. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top