Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2016 4:44:53 AM EDT
It's not really clear to me what I need or how to do this..

The can came with the 13.5x1 LHM piston.  

Is this a direct thread mount or do I need something else?

thanks...
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want to use the piston then you need a fixed barrel spacer which is installed in lieu of the spring around the piston when used on a fixed barrel firearm. Just remember to replace the spacer with the spring before you put the octane on a pistol.

You can also buy a fixed barrel mount which threads onto end of octane and you don't use the piston at all.

3rd option is a 3lug mount for the barrel and the 3lug mount for the octane.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to use the piston then you need a fixed barrel spacer which is installed in lieu of the spring around the piston when used on a fixed barrel firearm. Just remember to replace the spacer with the spring before you put the octane on a pistol.

You can also buy a fixed barrel mount which threads onto end of octane and you don't use the piston at all.

3rd option is a 3lug mount for the barrel and the 3lug mount for the octane.
View Quote

Is there a "best" way?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is there a "best" way?
View Quote

Depends on how you are going to use the Can.   If you are going to put in on the weapon and leave it on, the get a direct thread mount.   A fixed barrel spacer will also work with your piston.  If get a fixed mount, but want to shoot the can on pistol or such, you can leave the fixed mount semi-permanently threaded on the barrel, and just unthread the can, then add piston for pistol.

If you are going to be taking the can off and on all the time, then think about a 3-lug setup.  Thats a 3-lug adapter which threads permanently on the barrel, and then a 3-lug adapter on the can itself.  

Costwise:
-----------------------------------------
piston spacer:  $
fixed mount:    $$
three lug set:   $$$$

Your mounting options below.   I dont think the harvester mount, lower right, comes in metric threads.   A piston spacer essentially replaces the spring on the piston setup, upper right.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with above. My personal preference is if the pistol suppressor will be swapped around various sub gun hosts, 3lug is very convenient. Downside as mentioned in cost. Typically around $55 for the 3lug adapter that goes on the barrel and another $115 for the 3lug mount that goes on the octane.

If the pistol suppressor will mostly live on one sub gun host, then I like fixed barrel mount. It's more economical and less parts involved. Fixed mounts can be found for less than $80 shipped and occasionally as low as $60 shipped from Hanson Brothers Suppressors in Va.

I do not use the piston spacer method because I like to have the piston handy if I need to tighten the end cap without having to unmount the suppressor and get the piston out.

(Obviously though on a pistol the piston and spring is what you have to use though.)
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the MPX and Octane too.  I started out with the direct thread mount, but wasn't long until I went with 3 lug.  I like the 3 lug much better..quick on/off and with the direct thread mount, it came loose a couple times while shooting.  I haven't had any problems once I went to three lug.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:52:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have the MPX and Octane too.  I started out with the direct thread mount, but wasn't long until I went with 3 lug.  I like the 3 lug much better..quick on/off and with the direct thread mount, it came loose a couple times while shooting.  I haven't had any problems once I went to three lug.
View Quote

3 lug is the direction Im leaning towards, as eventually it will be swapped out between a 300 BO upper as well as a MK25 once I get a threaded barrel.   sigh..this is not an inexpensive hobby.

Both of those occurrences are someways down the road though, so for now I just may go the less expensive route and get the fixed barrel spacer.

Also, some research showed me that some folks are using the Griffin armament mount...Am I wrong in that the consensus seems to be that this is a bad idea?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]
For multiple subgun type hosts, 3-lug is the way to go.

For the Octane /omega9k there is the factory mount.   Also the Griffin mount will work, several people have done it.  And new to confuse things even more, is the Rugged Suppressors mount:
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/3-lug-mount/  Which SHOULD work.    I say this because before they came out with the mount, people were using the griffin mount on Rugged cans.

So naturally, each manufacturer will discourage you from mixing parts from various manufacturers.   That said the should work fine.   Comments so far on the Griffin + Octane have been, a  little less accurate, and a little louder than the SilCo factory mount.

More info:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132152&start=25
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
For whatever reason, this is somewhat confusing to me...what is the difference/advantage/disadvantage between using the fixed barrel spacer shown here:

http://www.capitolarmory.com/silencerco-osprey-octane-fixed-barrel-spacer.html

and this fixed barrel mount here http://www.capitolarmory.com/silencerco-octane-fixed-barrel-mount.html which replaces the whole pistol assembly ?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For whatever reason, this is somewhat confusing to me...what is the difference/advantage/disadvantage between using the fixed barrel spacer shown here:

and this fixed barrel mount here http://www.capitolarmory.com/silencerco-octane-fixed-barrel-mount.html which replaces the whole pistol assembly ?
View Quote

Personally, the only advantage of using a fixed barrel spacer over a barrel mount assembly would be the price, as the spacer would be less expensive to buy rather than a new dedicated mount. It may also cut total length down, if that is important to you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This part is used with the piston that came with your suppressor. It replaces the spring around your piston. This is the direction I'm going except I went with the Griffin version because it's solid (does not have holes in it like the SiCo version). I like this solution better then the direct thread mount because it should help keep gunk out of the suppressor in the area where the piston sits which as I understand, is a real PITA to clean.

Quoted:

This is a direct thread fixed barrel mount. It replaces your piston for mounting the suppressor on a fixed barrels like on your MPX.

Either method works, mostly personal preference more then anything
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This part is used with the piston that came with your suppressor. It replaces the spring around your piston. This is the direction I'm going except I went with the Griffin version because it's solid (does not have holes in it like the SiCo version). I like this solution better then the direct thread mount because it should help keep gunk out of the suppressor in the area where the piston sits which as I understand, is a real PITA to clean.
View Quote

Are you planning on running that setup or are you currently running it? The only reason I ask is because I too have the Griffin Spacer along with a Silencerco piston. My can is currently in jail so I can't try it out but it seems that the Griffin spacer fits really loose on the Silencerco piston. Nobody seems to have an answer whether it'll function correctly ok or not.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If you plan on switching to the MK25 pistol then just get the spacer.

I use the Griffen 3lug and haven't had a problem, I read all those threads about it and some guys get so off target trying to make or prove a point the subject becomes minutiae.

The Griffen 3 lug setup is way tighter then the silencerco one and that why the silencrco 3 lug is sitting in a box some place.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you planning on running that setup or are you currently running it? The only reason I ask is because I too have the Griffin Spacer along with a Silencerco piston. My can is currently in jail so I can't try it out but it seems that the Griffin spacer fits really loose on the Silencerco piston. Nobody seems to have an answer whether it'll function correctly ok or not.
View Quote

Planning to. My cans are all in jail too. I have both spacers (SiCo and Griffin) but I don't have the piston to test fit. All I can tell you is I've read posts from others using the Griffin spacer on a Sico piston and they claim it works fine but they didn't mention if it was loose or not?

I would think (and I'm just guessing here) that it would be fine if its loose side to side (i.e. the diameter is a little bigger) but I would worry if its loose front to back (i.e. its a little too short)?

Griffin pistons are supposed to be made to the same specs as SiCo's and be interchangeable so maybe you can call Griffin and ask them if it's supposed to be loose and/or if that's a problem?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
picked up the SiCo fixed spacer earlier today and went through a box of 147 grain speer lawmen after i got home.

geez...what fun.  the bullets hitting the backstop were louder than the sound of the gun firing.  

I didn't notice the suppressor coming loose, but is that something that could be prevented by using blue loctite?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an Octane 9HD waiting for me when I return to Ohio. I ordered the 3 lug adapter for the MPX and a 1/2-28 piston for my handgun. Do I need a fixed barrel spacer for the MPX?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have an Octane 9HD waiting for me when I return to Ohio. I ordered the 3 lug adapter for the MPX and a 1/2-28 piston for my handgun. Do I need a fixed barrel spacer for the MPX?
View Quote

Did you rethread your MPX to 1/2-28? It comes from the factory 13.5x1LH.

If you already ordered a 3lug adapter for the MPX barrel, then I would just get a 3lug mount for the octane.

Your other two options would be to get a fixed barrel mount from SilencerCo for the octane (again for the 13.5x1LH thread on factory MPX barrel) or get a 13.5x1LH piston for the octane and then get a fixed barrel spacer for the piston. However I would highly suggest doing the 3lug or fixed barrel mount options and not the piston/spacer option.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you already ordered a 3lug adapter for the MPX barrel, then I would just get a 3lug mount for the octane.

Your other two options would be to get a fixed barrel mount from SilencerCo for the octane (again for the 13.5x1LH thread on factory MPX barrel) or get a 13.5x1LH piston for the octane and then get a fixed barrel spacer for the piston. However I would highly suggest doing the 3lug or fixed barrel mount options and not the piston/spacer option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I stated, I have the 3 lug set up for my MPX with stock LH metric thread. The 1/2-28 is for my 9mm handgun. My question was, do I need a fixed barrel spacer for the 3 lug set up? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As I stated, I have the 3 lug set up for my MPX with stock LH metric thread. The 1/2-28 is for my 9mm handgun. My question was, do I need a fixed barrel spacer for the 3 lug set up? Thanks
View Quote

Fixed barrel spacers are only for use with pistons on fixed barrel guns. For your 3lug barrel adapter you only need a 3lug mount for the octane. Fixed barrel spacers have nothing to do with 3lugs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks. So if I use the 1/2-28 piston on a threaded barrel rifle I will need the spacer in place of the spring? I'm new to suppressors and haven't even taken delivery yet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks. So if I use the 1/2-28 piston on a threaded barrel rifle I will need the spacer in place of the spring? I'm new to suppressors and haven't even taken delivery yet.
View Quote

You are correct. You would take out the piston spring and replace it with the fixed barrel spacer on the piston.

Just to add if you ever get a direct thread fixed barrel mount, you only thread the mount into the octane. You do not use a spacer or spring with the fixed barrel mount.

Congrats on your entry into suppressors. You'll like the Octane.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, have you run any 115gr thru the gun with the can yet. That's typically what I shoot and since I have the same can I was curious how it sounds. As I stated before, mine is waiting for me in Ohio, and I won't be there till April.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, have you run any 115gr thru the gun with the can yet. That's typically what I shoot and since I have the same can I was curious how it sounds. As I stated before, mine is waiting for me in Ohio, and I won't be there till April.
View Quote

I think I ran a couple through when I first got it....If I recall correctly it was louder than I wanted it to be...

147's are definitely quieter I think...

If I get motivated enough today I'll go and do a comparison of both to refresh my memory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top