Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2015 11:38:44 PM EDT
I really like the PE90. And AR mags. So I figure why not get a side folder 556.

Why the frick are they so damn hard to find? I'm not interested in one with a crappy AR stock. Or the telescoping stock. Or all that whored out tactical SWAT fanboy version. Just a PE90 lookalike with some nice diopter sights. WTH.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If I had to guess it would be because they had some bad press, they didn't sell well and many dealers did not stock them in very large numbers. Add to all that that since the XI line came out the older 556 classics are no longer made, so what you do find is used or new old stock. I know here in Saint Louis they have always been niche rifles. I rarely see them for sale at shops or shows, I rarely see people with them at the local ranges and I never see people asking for them.

They are out there... they are just not common.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
They are all over Gun Broker search under "classic".
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I might be selling my 556 classic with the swiss stock soon. PM me for info.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I hit Gunbroker every day for about 3 weeks until I found the discontinued 551A1 NIB with plastic case I wanted, just be patient.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Because of ar's

The sigs are not something you buy for a practical purpose

Likewise, average joe blow isn't going to spend the money on that "sig" when they have that nice and shiny $500 bushmaster sitting right there.

Another thing is how well it leaves a first impression

If a firearm turns out to be a pos, unreliable, inaccurate, etc, it will leave a horrible impression, and even if they fix those issues immediately, its a crazy uphill battle, case in point, the m16, the R51, the colt 2000.

Often companies will just completely drop the product, and cut their losses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't Sig quit making the 556 Classic when the xi came out?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

All four have the crappy telescoping stock. RIF And the second has that stupid railed handguard.

But to be honest I'll scour GB for one here and there, then forget about it. Then repeat. Obviously not a huge priority.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All four have the crappy telescoping stock. RIF And the second has that stupid railed handguard.

But to be honest I'll scour GB for one here and there, then forget about it. Then repeat. Obviously not a huge priority.
View Quote

Most 556 Classics came with the folding/telescoping stock, so you may have to simply replace it. The Swiss folding/collapsing stock is awesome, the U.S. made copy is a POS. Also, if you find a rifle at a good price and it has the railed fore-end, you can simply sell it and but a set of Swiss handguards.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I found my Sig 556 Classic refurbished for $900 so I jumped on the deal fast and without second thought.

Only complaint is that I'm having trouble zeroing it. I have to crank the diopter sight and now ACOG to the right 30" to move the impacts 6". Still testing it out and holding my verdict.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#11]
This 556 Classic has the Swiss made folding/collapsing stock, which alone is worth about $350. You would need to swap the rail for standard handguards, but that should be reasonable. Gatewood Supply has 551 handguards for something like $65 right now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=501936209
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Found my Patrol model on GB easy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most 556 Classics came with the folding/telescoping stock, so you may have to simply replace it. The Swiss folding/collapsing stock is awesome, the U.S. made copy is a POS. Also, if you find a rifle at a good price and it has the railed fore-end, you can simply sell it and but a set of Swiss handguards.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't you swap out the rail? BTW, those stocks are used on actual SG-553s now.

And SAN actually makes an SG-553 with an AR mag lower called the SG 553-16AL It is different from the 556 lower I believe. The 55* line ending in "AL" use aluminum lowers. Again, still different from the American 556/551A1 line. So there are three different types of lowers.

http://www.swissarms.ch/download/waffen/pdf/SG_553_AL_en.pdf

Unless you have the cash for a 553 pistol, you're going to have to settle for something you find. Seeing that Swiss Arms actually sells models inspired by the 556 line it shouldn't be too bad. Too bad our import laws suck, but between the 553 pistol and various 556 rifles this is your last chance to get this line of rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can't you swap out the rail? BTW, those stocks are used on actual SG-553s now.

http://i47.tinypic.com/4hmr4.jpg

And SAN actually makes an SG-553 with an AR mag lower called the SG 553-16AL It is different from the 556 lower I believe. The 55* line ending in "AL" use aluminum lowers. Again, still different from the American 556/551A1 line. So there are three different types of lowers.

http://www.swissarms.ch/download/waffen/pdf/SG_553_AL_en.pdf

Unless you have the cash for a 553 pistol, you're going to have to settle for something you find. Seeing that Swiss Arms actually sells models inspired by the 556 line it shouldn't be too bad. Too bad our import laws suck, but between the 553 pistol and various 556 rifles this is your last chance to get this line of rifle.
View Quote

SwissArms designed the collapsing/folding stock. Sig Sauer USA copied it (poorly). The Swiss folding/collapsing stock predates the crap U.S. version. Early 556 classics came with the Swiss folding/collapsing stock. I bought one around 2008/9 simply for the stock, then parted out the rest of the rifle, selling the barreled upper and keeping the U.S. internal parts for future use as 922(r) compliant parts.

The only aspect of Swiss rifles inspired by the U.S. design is the STANAG stock. KAC was the first to make a STANAG mag lower for the 55x (at the request of Delta), so really everyone is technically copying KAC in this regard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top