Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:57:43 PM EDT
I'm considering a Sig 556 and I'm a bit confused by some of the reading I've done...

I've seen conflicting reports regarding the barrel steel...Sigs website lists it as 4140 while I've read several reviews that say the barrels are cold hammer forged.  Did Sig change the barrel steel at some point?

Also, are the barrels chrome lined or nitride treated?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe cold hammer forged is the method while 4140 is the alloy.  The barrels are nitride I believe though it might depend on which 556, I'm pretty sure the 556xi is nitride.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate your response...I assumed CHF meant CMV steel.  I have no issues with 4140 but would prefer either a chrome lined or nitride treated barrel.  

I'm also curious to hear from people that have owned one for a while / put a decent amount of rounds down range.  Most seem to say that its a solid / durable rifle but I've also read a several threads telling discussing poor build quality, etc.  I know every maker produces some lemons and (since I know relatively little about the 556) I'm just trying determine if it's a good / reliable rifle that's worth the price.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
which model 556 are you looking at and which caliber?  I have the 556xi in 5.56 and mine has been accurate and reliable but I know people have and issues with the 7.62x39 models.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking at the 5.56 classic since (I believe) it's the only NJ compliant (I hate the ridiculous laws in this state) model that Sig makes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both the 556 Classic and the 556R. Currently I have about five hundred rounds through each of them. I've only had one malfunction and it was with the 556R and I was shooting cheap Russian military practice ammo.

Accuracy is more than acceptable for me with both rifles. I can consistently hit skeet lying on the berm at one hundred yards using diopter sights.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
which model 556 are you looking at and which caliber?  I have the 556xi in 5.56 and mine has been accurate and reliable but I know people have and issues with the 7.62x39 models.
View Quote

Not one issue with my 556R Gen2 - has somewhere between 1200-1500 rounds through it. Only cleaned every 250 or so. Using all steel cased by variuos manufacturers. Had one round of Zombie Max blow a primer, & possibly a light primer strike or two, thats it. Bangs out 1-1/4 to 2" groups with a Bushnell 1-4x24 AR 30mm scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top