BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Military arms channel review.

He said "$1,300 single shot rifle".  Ouch...

https://www.facebook.com/militaryarms/posts/891483227530144:0
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Military arms channel review.

He said "$1,300 single shot rifle".  Ouch...

https://www.facebook.com/militaryarms/posts/891483227530144:0
View Quote

He should of waited until gen 2 to do a review. No surprises here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Well guys, my copy of the Sig Xi has some pretty serious functional issues. I've been looking around the 'net and I'm not the only one that's experienced this same issue.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well guys, my copy of the Sig Xi has some pretty serious functional issues. I've been looking around the 'net and I'm not the only one that's experienced this same issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_9xR2X6wCA

View Quote

Yeah. Its unfortunate. Sig screwed up the first generation of 556R as well. Hopefully they are able to fix them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]
MAC, you're lucky you can exchange yours for one that has been tested to work.  My 556xiR pistol cannot be exchanged due to our state's crazy laws, so I sincerely hope Sig can fix mine someday.

BTW, I shot mine without cleaning the factory grease out.  A lot came out of the gas tube when I sprayed mine with WD40 (since I shot it in the rain.)  One guy above (cobain187 above) cleaned his and his run like a champ.  Hope mine will run well after cleaning it.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
These are the same type of issues I was having with my XI-R, I will be taking my "Repaired" rifle out on thursday to test and hope Sig fixed it. If not back to SIG it goes.

HDH.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:17:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent vid Tim. I do hope they manage to crack the code on consistently making rifles that function. Shouldn't be terribly difficult. This was one of the rifles on my short list recently when deciding which 7.62x39 rifle to get. So happy I choose the Arsenal SLR 107FR. The thing was/ is immaculate. No rattles. Dead center straight sights. Functions perfect any ammo or mags I've tried so far. Circle 10s fit like a glove. I'll post a review when it stops raining for a bit. Still would like to try a Sig when it is built to perform correctly. Next on list is Galil ACE to go with my Galil ARM. Decided that before your excellent video. The vid reinforces my decision. The guys having problems will get them fixed I'm sure but what a hassle.

I do agree with the advice of dealing with Atlantic. They go above and beyond when it comes to customer service.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I am seriously down to the wire on buying a 556 in 7.62x39.. I really can't decide though, I like the longer grip of the 556r, but overall the 556xi has more features I want, despite the issues they appear to be having.

A question that I haven't seen addressed, and I don't want to take for granted as I have yet to handle one of these rifles, does the 556xi retain the steel insert to help prevent accelerated wear on the receiver, as the gen 2 556rs have?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am seriously down to the wire on buying a 556 in 7.62x39.. I really can't decide though, I like the longer grip of the 556r, but overall the 556xi has more features I want, despite the issues they appear to be having.

A question that I haven't seen addressed, and I don't want to take for granted as I have yet to handle one of these rifles, does the 556xi retain the steel insert to help prevent accelerated wear on the receiver, as the gen 2 556rs have?
Thanks.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same issue here, last week, i bought the 556R Gen 2.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I just came back from the range with my "Repaired" SIG556XI-R and SUCCESS It ran 100 flawless rounds of Wolf FMJ & HP with no problem whatsoever.

I don't know what they did seeing SIG stated they found no problem with MY rifle, I and SIG know that's B.S. Well whatever they did it works fine now so I'm happy
about that, end of story.

SIG did suggest I use Mil-comm tw25b gun lube so I did and I highly recommend it. Use it liberally.
Also FWIW  the fit and finish are excellent on the Rifle.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/871207/mil-comm-tw25b-gun-grease-tube?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=38-11929393-2&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google

HDH.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Great to hear!  I can't wait for mine to get back and fully functioning.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone is looking for a new one let me know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok I just came back from the range with my "Repaired" SIG556XI-R and SUCCESS It ran 100 flawless rounds of Wolf FMJ & HP with no problem whatsoever.

I don't know what they did seeing SIG stated they found no problem with MY rifle, I and SIG know that's B.S. Well whatever they did it works fine now so I'm happy

<a href="http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/hansellhd/media/DSCN2655_zps3288a61e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/DSCN2655_zps3288a61e.jpg</a>

SIG did suggest I use Mil-comm tw25b gun lube so I did and I highly recommend it. Use it liberally.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/871207/mil-comm-tw25b-gun-grease-tube?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=38-11929393-2&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google

HDH.
View Quote

I wonder if they gave you a new lower, that would seat the mag better, cause I cant believe it was fixed due to using mil-comm lube, or maybe a new bolt? have you done a total disassembly of the weapon? notice anything new?
also went looking for this gun in stock and cant find even  one of them out there. wonder if sig stoped sales to check issues?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wonder if they gave you a new lower, that would seat the mag better, cause I cant believe it was fixed due to using mil-comm lube, or maybe a new bolt? have you done a total disassembly of the weapon? notice anything new?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/hansellhd/media/DSCN2655_zps3288a61e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/DSCN2655_zps3288a61e.jpg</a>

HDH.

To be honest I don't know if they did change the lower, I only had the rifle for 10 days before I set it back. I never said the Mil-comm Lube fixed it just that SIG suggest everyone use it in all their Rifles and Handguns so I did. I normally use M Pro-7 and run all my Rifles wet so I don't see lube being the problem, like MAC said the problem is most likely a gas problem.

Do you really think that SIG would admit there was a problem with their brand new Rifle, I don't think so. lol  Anyhow the Rifle came back filthy loaded with the Mil-Comm Grease
So I cleaned it up and loaded it with the same Mil-Comm Grease they did and it ran, That is all I can say.

I will suggest that if anyone is having problems with the 556xi-R to at least try the Mil-Comm before sending it back and to put it on thick, because that is what Sig does.

HDH.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDAJIxMHr0c

Quick Vid on the 556SI-R

HDH.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
How is the accuracy of the SIG repaired rifles?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My Rifle will shoot fist size groups @100 yds with Wolf ammo. When it gets warmer I plan to do a shootout with my PTR32 & Arsenal Slr101-s and see just how accurate it really is.

HDH.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#19]
That is a sharp looking PTR-32, I look forward to your shoot-out review Hanselhd.

Merry Christmas!

Hking
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That is a sharp looking PTR-32, I look forward to your shoot-out review Hanselhd.

Merry Christmas!

Hking
View Quote

Thanks, Merry Christmas.

HDH.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got the notice that my 556xi is being shipped back after repair work.  We'll see if it has helped after I get it back in my paws and out to the range.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Man, I still haven't had time to get to the range and try out some different ammo in mine. I commute 800 miles a week into Boston and with Christmas its been a bit hectic around here
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

A few points.
A. Did you ever review the GenII 556R?  Mine has been virtually flawless unsuppressed, and I've even ran it suppressed (some issues suppressed, I need to have my gas valve modified to add a suppressed setting). ETA: My volume of fire isnt enough to make my evidence anything more than anecdotal.
B. The fact that Sig keeps releasing firearms that need a GenII to just run correctly leaves me SHM.
C. B is the reason why I'm looking at a CMMG Mk47 or RRA47 for my next 7.62x39 rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just got the notice that my 556xi is being shipped back after repair work.  We'll see if it has helped after I get it back in my paws and out to the range.  

View Quote

Good I let us know how it works out for you and let us know what SIG did to fix it. On my rifle they said they found no problem, that's a load of B.S.

HDH
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I got my rifle back today.  Sig says they polished the ramp and chamber, and lubed the bolt, and voila!   30 rounds of Federal American Eagle (brass) and 60 rounds of Red Army Standard without a hiccup.  Must be a hell of a polish job!

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good I let us know how it works out for you and let us know what SIG did to fix it. On my rifle they said they found no problem, that's a load of B.S.

HDH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HDH

Makes me wonder if they are having some issues with maybe the gas port not being opened enough. If they had to open it up it would fix the issue but not be noticeable unless you measured before/after.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't had much time to hit the range but I have added a lantac dragon and tried 5 rounds with 2 different mags, ran smooth, and still haven't cleaned it from the first outting... I promise to get more time in soon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#29]
My 556xiR is its way back from Sig.  Little time to go to the range to try it out...

I am thinking of turning my  pistol into a rifle.  I wonder how easy it is to get a 16" or a 14.5" barrel from Sig?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My 556xiR is its way back from Sig.  Little time to go to the range to try it out...

I am thinking of turning my  pistol into a rifle.  I wonder how easy it is to get a 16" or a 14.5" barrel from Sig?
View Quote

There are some out there (myself included) who would trade a 16" xiR barrel for a 10" one.  It may be too late for me, as my smith might have already cut it down, but if its still waiting in his shop, I'd be game...
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My Rifle will shoot fist size groups @100 yds with Wolf ammo. When it gets warmer I plan to do a shootout with my PTR32 & Arsenal Slr101-s and see just how accurate it really is.

HDH.
View Quote

Eagerly awaiting...

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#32]
So I took the 556xiR back to the range today (I have a pathetic work schedule).  And . . .  disappointment is my friend

I shot 30 rounds of Wolf Military Classic and 10 rounds of Golden Tiger.  I had 6 failures to feed with the Wolf MC, one failure to extract an empty casing and the GT makes the gun a single shot, the empty casing is ejected but the next round does not feed from the magazine until I manually rack the charging handle.

When I received it back from them, Sig's note stated they did not find anything wrong with the gun after test firing it with "124gr Federal American Eagle and 124gr Tulammo through 60 rounds".  

I wonder if Sig will let me ship it back to them again?  This time I will try to also ship them the magazine I was shooting with, an East German steel 30 rd mag blocked to 10 rounds.  Wonder if they are going to find the magazine as the culprit, but it has been running 100% in my AKs

At this rate, I am going to put my buying plans for the MCX on hold.  

Quoted:

There are some out there (myself included) who would trade a 16" xiR barrel for a 10" one.  It may be too late for me, as my smith might have already cut it down, but if its still waiting in his shop, I'd be game...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I will wait this Sig Brace drama to play itself out.  Today the rangemaster was strictly enforcing a new rule that nobody shoulders their AK and AR pistols.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So I took the 556xiR back to the range today (I have a pathetic work schedule).  And . . .  disappointment is my friend

I shot 30 rounds of Wolf Military Classic and 10 rounds of Golden Tiger.  I had 6 failures to feed with the Wolf MC, one failure to extract an empty casing and the GT makes the gun a single shot, the empty casing is ejected but the next round does not feed from the magazine until I manually rack the charging handle.

When I received it back from them, Sig's note stated they did not find anything wrong with the gun after test firing it with "124gr Federal American Eagle and 124gr Tulammo through 60 rounds".  

I wonder if Sig will let me ship it back to them again?  This time I will try to also ship them the magazine I was shooting with, an East German steel 30 rd mag blocked to 10 rounds.  Wonder if they are going to find the magazine as the culprit, but it has been running 100% in my AKs

I think I will wait this Sig Brace drama to play itself out.  Today the rangemaster was strictly enforcing a new rule that nobody shoulders their AK and AR pistols.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you only own one AK magazine?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you only own one AK magazine?
View Quote

I have only a few magazines blocked to 10 rounds and all but 2 are Circle 10s that don't fit into my Sig556xiR.

I have quite a few 30 round magazines from before they banned them, but this is a pistol and in this Californanny state, pistols with magazines outside of the grip is considered an "assault weapon" and can only use 10 round magazines.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Hello all! Long time reader, first post, glad to be a part of the community. Long story short, ive been pining over a xi for a while, but at least half of the reviews i have seen online were very negative. Everything i have seen makes me guess its the gas system. So i called sig today and asked mark in the customer service department about the issues and he actually acknowledged them, which kinda floored me. he said the issues have been addressed in current production models and the best way to make sure that your getting a good rifle is to buy ones that were completed after october of last year. The sticker on the box has the date of manufacture on them. So buy NIB only after october and you should be good to go, or at least match the serial numbers from the gun to the sticker on the box.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just got my 556xi pistol today, make 1/31/15.  Going to try and get to the range after work tomorrow.  Gun has been fully cleaned off all the grease.  I only have wolf ammo and mags are very hard to get out.  I have some bulgarian steel with plastic followers that are very hard to get out.  The tapco seems OK.  hungarian 20 round are ok too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

in current production models and the best way to make sure that your getting a good rifle is to buy ones that were completed after october of last year. The sticker on the box has the date of manufacture on them. So buy NIB only after october and you should be good to go, or at least match the serial numbers from the gun to the sticker on the box.

Just got my 556xi pistol today, make 1/31/15.  Going to try and get to the range after work tomorrow.  Gun has been fully cleaned off all the grease.  I only have wolf ammo and mags are very hard to get out.  I have some bulgarian steel with plastic followers that are very hard to get out.  The tapco seems OK.  hungarian 20 round are ok too.
I'm looking forward to your report. I'm hoping they got these things figured out.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, I got my 556xiR back from Sig, and promptly had its barrel cut down to 10" after my tax stamp came in.  

I took it to the range today (finally).

I slathered the bolt with grease and oil, set the gas nozzle to the straight up position, and slapped in the Tapco mag the rifle came with (Sig actually recommends this mag over steel and Magpuls).  

I racked the charging handle and let one fly on the 100yd line.  After the initial 'boom',I got the dreaded 'click.'

This continued for the first 20 rounds.  The round would fire, but there wasn't enough gas to cycle the bolt back far enough to strip a new round from the magazine.  The bolt would go back only far enough to eject the empty, and then go forward on an empty chamber, thus resulting in the 'click.'

After around 20 rounds of shooting the rifle as a single shot (and getting terrible accuracy at that!), I got this:

And then this:

I don't know which is worse.  

Then I attached my Saker 762.  With the added gas pressure, the rifle started powerfully ejecting the empties and loading new cartridges from the mag.  It was running perfectly.  

I switched over to the steel range, and had some fun knocking down pepper poppers.  

I tried the rifle again without the suppressor, but it just reverted back to a single shot.  

So, now I have a very expensive single shot without a dedicated can.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Well, I got my 556xiR back from Sig, and promptly had its barrel cut down to 10" after my tax stamp came in.  

I took it to the range today (finally).

I slathered the bolt with grease and oil, set the gas nozzle to the straight up position, and slapped in the Tapco mag the rifle came with (Sig actually recommends this mag over steel and Magpuls).  

I racked the charging handle and let one fly on the 100yd line.  After the initial 'boom',I got the dreaded 'click.'

This continued for the first 20 rounds.  The round would fire, but there wasn't enough gas to cycle the bolt back far enough to strip a new round from the magazine.  The bolt would go back only far enough to eject the empty, and then go forward on an empty chamber, thus resulting in the 'click.'

After around 20 rounds of shooting the rifle as a single shot (and getting terrible accuracy at that!), I got this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/3B178D5C-F0F6-456E-A556-A2E4EB7751FD_zpsvngm52hj.jpg

And then this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/5A4D9E04-4B4C-4F07-893F-541B16F87BF5_zpsfq6ztd7c.jpg

I don't know which is worse.  

Then I attached my Saker 762.  With the added gas pressure, the rifle started powerfully ejecting the empties and loading new cartridges from the mag.  It was running perfectly.  

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/6F0CA671-32F4-46C4-B569-8D3CB613D615_zps6f8qcjls.jpg

I switched over to the steel range, and had some fun knocking down pepper poppers.  

I tried the rifle again without the suppressor, but it just reverted back to a single shot.  

So, now I have a very expensive single shot without a dedicated can.  

View Quote
So you cut the barrel down without changing the gas port size? That would be a good reason why it is undergassed.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I picked up a 556xi R (pistol) this weekend. I don't know why because after reading all the negative feedback I had completely talked myself out of it but there it was staring at me and I was in a buying mood....

Took it home and did a complete clean on it. Removed all the white grease and just went with a light coat of Rem oil on the bolt and rails it slides on. Pulled the gas plug and piston and cleaned every bit of grease off of it. Then cleaned the gas tube thoroughly. Wiped the piston and swabbed the tube with isopropal alcohol to make sure no grease was left. (In my experience gas piston rifles don't like grease on the piston parts.)
I then took my different mags and ran snap caps through all of the several times to make sure they would feed. All seemed to work fine with that but I did notice the PMAG seemed to "drag" when cycling the bolt? It felt different then the others so I'll leave it at that.

Went to the range today and put about 150 rounds through it. 122gr Wolf HP, 122gr Wolf FMJ, and 123gr Silver Bear FMJ. Used a variety of mags. 2 different Tapco, a PMAG, and 2 different makes of steel.

Happy to report I only had one issue, which appeared to be a double feed? And that was with the PMAG. Everything else ran well, no issues. I'll have to admit I was nervous as hell after dropping that amount of money on something that appears to have more bad reports then good. I continued to run the PMAG through as I swapped mags and didn't have any other issues after the initial one.
One thing I did not do in hind sight was fill the mags completely. I was only loading 10-20 rounds at a time. Will have to check the function of full mags next time.

Something I noticed when I got home (have seen reports of this) is my gas tube is now loose and rattles back and forth as I tip the gun forward and back. If you lean forward it slides with a "tink", then back with another "tink". Didn't seem to affect function but didn't do it before I went to the range. Pretty annoying for a $1400(ish) firearm. I expect better for that price point.

I was shooting open sights at 50 yards so no real report on accuracy. Old eyes so until I can put a optic on it I can't comment on groupings. They looked okay, but nothing spectacular.

Trigger. Sucks, that's about all I can say about that. Probably the worst of any firearm I own. Long pull, heavy, no feedback on reset. etc. etc. I see there is one option for a replacement, might have to give it a try?

All in all, Meh it's okay. I wanted something I could easily SBR in 7.62x39 so this should fit the bill.  I do think it is over priced for what you get. Having a little bit of heartburn with the price based on the performance/Quality. I honestly think this is a $800 firearm at best based on what I see. In all honestly, If I could return it tomorrow and get my money back I might just do it? It's not just screaming $1400 gun to me. For $800 I would be super happy with it. I think the CMMG Mutant is probably a  better gun for the money  if your looking for a 762 alternative to a AK but I really wanted something a little different then another AR based platform.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#45]
MAC got his 556xi back from Sig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9pZYvbwt8
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top