Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 9:00:36 AM EDT
I realize this asked on the sig page.
Which of the 2 do you like better and why?
Has anyone put a scope on their 556r? How is the cheek height?
Do the gen 2 have all the problems worked out?
thanks again for any help
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Skip the 556R and get the 556XI

Yes, the 556R Gen 2 has the bugs worked out. However, it was built as a civilian enthusiast hobby rifle. I always got the impression those involved went "eh, good enough."

The XI was built around serious use, to fill the same niche the 550 rifles did years ago. Several of those involved (engineers and testers) envisioned it being a perfect choice for military exports and that was the standard it was designed and tested to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only have an opinion on the 556R, because it is the only one I own of the 2 choices you have. I have 2 different Gen 2's. Both have optics. The regular has a Nikon 4-12 on it and the SWAT has a 1-4 on it. They are ridiculously accurate for an x39 gun. They are very comfortable to shoot. I have had zero problems with either one. I would choose either of these over any of my AK's if I had to grab and go in a hurry. Even my Arsenal takes a back seat to them.

Do not let the horror stories of the Gen1's or people that own neither sway you. There is a ton of negative talk about the 556R from people that do not actually own a Gen 2 and have never even shot one. Their opinions are worth nothing if they have no experience of their own with them.

Here are my Babies:

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 556R that is one of my absolute favorite rifles.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a LAR47 soon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
When you do please let us know what you think of it.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
morning_would
great pic of the rifle in the rocks.  I think its going to be my new wallpaper.
THANKS
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most negative comments about the 556R gen 2 must be by non-owners. I've had mine almost a year now, has around 1000 rounds through it. Have run just about every available brand of current production eastern bloc ammunition without any issues. The best groups I've gotten have been inch & a quarter using Hornady SST. I've got a 3-9x40 sightron S1 mil-dot on it now, it's about the perfect setup out to 200-250 yards. I've only cleaned it 2 or 3 times - runs flawlessly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I see the lar-47 on gunbroker for $1100+
What is a good price for a 556r? new or used?
I have seen the 556r for less than the lar47.  I did bid on a 556r.  I hope I get it.  I have watched several videos on them.  I am itching to get one.  Not sure my sar1 will like it though.  LOL

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see the lar-47 on gunbroker for $1100+
What is a good price for a 556r? new or used?
I have seen the 556r for less than the lar47.  I did bid on a 556r.  I hope I get it.  I have watched several videos on them.  I am itching to get one.  Not sure my sar1 will like it though.  LOL

View Quote

Why not wait for the 556XI in 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I am looking more at the xi.  At first the price kinda turned me away.
Realistically its only $200 or $300 more.
If I get the 556r bought for what I bid on it, it will be a pretty good deal.
I wonder what the conversions will cost?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top