Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 11:54:55 PM EDT
i picked up a sig 716 a couple of months ago for a steal. came with a redfield battlezone using a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. i tried to get it sighted in but had no luck. i could hit paper at 100 yards but the groups were GIANT. so today i did some training with a friend that has a TON more experience than myself and competes, he had the same issue. He was hitting paper at 100 yards but we are talking like 8-10" groups.  He concluded the the scope was probably shit, as i didn't buy it new, i don't know the history behind it.

im wanting to stay at or under $300 with $400 being the absolute top for a new optic. i was looking at the Vortex Viper lineup, but was wondering if there are any others that i should get or look at instead.

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Magnification?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
im wanting to stick with a 3-10 (or somewhere near) for mag.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
What is your criteria for a scope? 1in or 30mm? Mil-dot or other? More information would not hurt. You also have to decide what your go to ammunition is going to be for your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your criteria for a scope? 1in or 30mm? Mil-dot or other? More information would not hurt. You also have to decide what your go to ammunition is going to be for your rifle.
View Quote

thanks for your reply and trying to help out. i will be honest with you and tell you i really don't know the difference between 1in or 30mm and MIL or MOA. i dont know what the pros and cons are of either because i am no where close to being an expert.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

thanks for your reply and trying to help out. i will be honest with you and tell you i really don't know the difference between 1in or 30mm and MIL or MOA. i dont know what the pros and cons are of either because i am no where close to being an expert.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to be one. It's what's to your liking. Here are some possibilities.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/bushnell-elite-3200-tactical-rifle-scope-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding
http://swfa.com/MOA-C4226.aspxThe middle scope is what I'm thinking about.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Leupold at the very least OP. They can be had under 400 for some lower end models, but the glass is good, and the warranty is great....And its not Chinese shit like primary arms which everyone raves about.

1inch is usually cheaper than 30mm but none of that matters for you...get something you like with at least 4 -10 max magnification and find quality rings to go with it. I doubt you will do it under 400 but you will have the assurances quality provides.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the Vortex Viper 2.5-10x. Saw it on sale at DSG for $529 so I snatched it up. A little our of your budget but a great scope for the money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't waste your money ... you got it for steal because the previous owner had the same experience.

I got the same problem, spent a ton of money on all kinds of match ammo and a 1800 dollar scope.  

The 716 is reliable, shoots everything I put through it, M80 ball to Federal match ammo.  

Groups tightened up a bit after 500 rounds but still getting 4-8inch groups with match ammo ... and that is down from 8-10 inch shotgun patterns.  

Your choices are ... send it back to Sig for warranty accurizing, sell it or accept it for the pig it is.

I've had reputable bench rest shooters shoot it, bought several hundred dollars of prime quality match ammo, and finally spent over $2k for high quality scope and mounts.  

Not one bit of difference ... yet with the 516 and my other rifles, I can easily crack sub-MOA groups.

I will try the Sig route once and if it doesn't work, I'm selling it for cheap to get rid of it.  

For the money I paid, I'm very disappointed... should of spent a grand more and gotten a tier one platform.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Currently, what model do you have?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
716 Patrol, in black.

Spent a ton of money trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the DMR

Top two groups are FGMM 168, middle is S&B NATO 147, Bottom is Buffalo Bore 175gr. 85 yards.

Using my ACOG TA11.

I can see why it isn't worth it to spend the big bucks on match ammo for the rifle, but I think you got a lemon!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I know I got a lemon.  

Only match ammo I haven't tried because I can't find it around here is factory loaded Lapua Scenars.  

That is why I'm telling OP to not spend a dime more, it is the rifle, not the shooter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For the money I paid, I'm very disappointed... should of spent a grand more and gotten a tier one platform.

View Quote

Same here, I wish I would have spent a few more hundred dollars and just gone with a 17S.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Jan 2013 716 Patrol with a Vortex PST 2.5-10 FFP.  I have it zero'ed with 168 gr FGM and I can consistently print 1 in groups at 100 off a bipod and bag.  I've gotten better groups a couple times when I had a good day.  Just good milspec ammo I can do about 2 in groups consistently.  I've found the 716 very accurate, I'm sorry to hear you got a lemon.  Hopefully Sig will make it right for you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Jan 2013 716 Patrol with a Vortex PST 2.5-10 FFP.  I have it zero'ed with 168 gr FGM and I can consistently print 1 in groups at 100 off a bipod and bag.  I've gotten better groups a couple times when I had a good day.  Just good milspec ammo I can do about 2 in groups consistently.  I've found the 716 very accurate, I'm sorry to hear you got a lemon.  Hopefully Sig will make it right for you.
View Quote

This has been my same experience with my 716 Patrol. Only I have a nightforce 2.5-10x scope. I have also installed a Geiselle SSA trigger in it too. FGMM 268gr are consistant 1MOA in it. I recently tried some of my 175gr handloads and I was able to get close to 1 MOA with an Aimpoint Pro mounted on it. This rifle suprises me every time I shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been looking for something in the  under $500 price range recently, and settled on the Burris MTAC 3.5-10x42 for about $425.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#18]
No complaints with my 716 thus far. It feeds everything and does better than MOA with good ammo.
ACOG TA-11 and a Geissele SSA-E trigger make it more enjoyable to shoot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top