BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 8:29:50 AM EDT
Any issues?? Good or bad gun?? Or.......would you buy it again?? Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Zero issues out of the box.
Added a Geissele SSA-E trigger , muzzle brake and ACOG TA-11 optic. Groups ball ammo on average 2 1'2" at 100 yards and better ammo around an inch at the same distance.

Would I buy again?
Hell yea!

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine took about 300-400 rounds to get broke in.  Other than the weight, I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Other than the weight, it's g2g! I'd buy one again if I had money to burn.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:44:03 AM EDT
[#4]
any experience with the suppressor setting and a can?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not perfect, but I would buy it again.

I modified my 3Gun heavy to look like the DMR they originally posted on their page a year ago..

A lot of people have similar complaints

Sticky bolt/tight chamber tolerances, charging handle sucks from the factory, weight (on the 3Gun and DMR).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_45/422789_Sig_716_Bolt_Sticks_Forward_and_scratches_ammo.html

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles/23386-sig-716-ftf-video-after-sig-repair.html

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles/24061-sig-716-dmr-3-gun-differences.html

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  I have ran less than a mag through mine without a can attached to it.  It still took the round count I posted to get it to go through four mags without a malfunction.  Even though it's piston driven, there is fouling in the receiver when using the can.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Loved mine, sold it to buy a FDE one to match my Scorpion 1911 which I am in the market for now..

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Love mine.

Was surprised at how smooth it operates. Low recoil, too. (as it should, it weighs enough )
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Sig 716 3Gun heavy, ACOG TA11J, 85 yards off a sled. Wanted to see what the gun could do. Pretty happy with it.

Top Left - Buffalo Bore 175gr SMK

Top Right  - Federal M118LR rejects

Center - Sellier and Bellot 7.62 NATO

Bottom two - FGMM 168gr
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Very satisfied with mine.  Would definitely buy one again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Runs great so far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread is relevant to my interests.  

I'm looking at getting one in the near future.   I'm glad to hear positive reviews.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Love mine. I've had it about 2 years now and it has always run great. Even the factory flip up sights were right on the money right out of the box. I didn't have to make any adjustment at all.

The only malfunctions I've had with it were when I was shooting suppressed with the gas system shut off. It was very difficult to manually eject the shells on most shots. The only other malfunctions I had was due to a bad batch of ammo I loaded. I hadn't sized the LC brass back down enough. I thought they were good to go but the chamber of my 716 seems to be pretty tight and the rounds were a little too long in the head space. My fault not the rifle. I just expected more slop from a "NATO spec chamber" so when my rounds were slight over the high spot on the case gauge, I figured it would be close enough with a milspec chamber. Never a problem with ammo made to proper length.

Accuracy is much better than I expected from a 16" carbine type 308 AR. MOA or less is certainly possible with match ammo. Here are two 100 yard 3 shot groups I fired with Fed GMM 168gr

SIG 716 shot groups by c.swimm, on Flickr

Top group was fired first, then I gave the scope a couple of clicks down and shot the next group. The one flyer was my fault but still a good group.

Last weekend I made several hits at 700 meters on a steel silhouette target with my 150gr FMJ "blasting" loads.  

The trigger on mine was very heavy from the factory, but I put in a Geiselle SSA 2 stage trigger and it is perfect now.

I currently have mine scoped with a Nightforce 2.5-10x scope in a Larue LT104 mount. I have also replaced the birdcage type flash hider with an AAC Brakeout 51t mount to use my SDN-6

With my SDN-6 mounted the point of impact shift is about 1.5" low at 100 meters. Group size doesn't increase much if at all. I like to use the suppressed setting on the gas system with the can as it keeps the brass from getting thrown too far. Yes the internals get dirtier shooting suppressed, but no crusted on carbon fouling like a DI type AR gets just from shooting normally.

I am glad I got an earlier version that came with the Magpul ACS stock and MIAD grip rather than the SIG grip and stock the current ones are coming with. I just don't care for the carbine length quad railed hand guard. It's too short and heavy. I plan on getting the Lancer carbon fiber extended hand guard as soon as it is available.

SIG Sauer 716 rifle by c.swimm, on Flickr    

One of the range safety officers at my local range loves it when I bring my 716 out to the range because I always bring some ammo for him to shoot it too. Every time I come there he asks if I brought my 716.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/mjhrwd/media/8279FFDA-788F-487C-8C78-C43DABB38E06_zpsm0ezwod3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p509/mjhrwd/8279FFDA-788F-487C-8C78-C43DABB38E06_zpsm0ezwod3.jpg</a>

Runs great so far.
View Quote

What clip on is that?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn good gun, so much so I got two of them and two cans...

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What clip on is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/mjhrwd/media/8279FFDA-788F-487C-8C78-C43DABB38E06_zpsm0ezwod3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p509/mjhrwd/8279FFDA-788F-487C-8C78-C43DABB38E06_zpsm0ezwod3.jpg</a>

Runs great so far.

What clip on is that?

PVS-22
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody have the precision model? And of course, how do y like it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I love mine shoot it at 500 yards all the time and it shoots great. Over 600 rounds through it so far and not one malfunction. Very accurate.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm looking at the DMR I have an OBR already but this looks like a great gun for the money. Sig also has a $200 rebate until the end of the month.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I am seriously thinking about a 12" model.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I have one that I have had for about two years. I took it out twice and shot it and was not happy with the trigger pull. I had trouble being very accurate with it with the gritty trigger that was hard to tell when it would break.
I have a trigger job or a replacement trigger on all my other guns, so I was not used to a trigger like that. I had a trigger job done on it and have yet to fire it since then.
Other than that and the weight, I like it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, works excellent!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Slightly less thrilled with the 716 right now.

In addition to not accepting aftermarket charging handles...

The Sig bolt catch is a proprietary design, and a right side only mag release from ArmaLite doesn't fit as well as the factory one (moves side to side up and down), which seems slightly larger in all dimensions.

ArmaLite's extended bolt catch doesn't even touch the bolt.

Not really sure why Sig felt the need to reinvent the wheel on this gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I like mine and it is a bit heavy but not too bad. I kind of wish I got a Scar 17 instead. I'll probably hang on to it even if I get a Scar 17.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Sig bolt catch is a proprietary design, and a right side only mag release from ArmaLite doesn't fit as well as the factory one (moves side to side up and down), which seems slightly larger in all dimensions.

View Quote

from what I understand, there's not a standard design for 308 ARs, each manufacture has plenty of deviations, Ruger, CMMG, MATEN, etc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#27]
had mine for a year plus.. bought another a month after the first.  I changed out the stock and done some odds and ends. giessele trigger SSA. etc..

I love mine.. Best game killer Ive ever had. Ive gone through different optics and settled on a Leupold vx 3.5-10x40. Rings steel easy enough at 600m which is way more than I need for hunting.

my only complaint was the 20 rnd mags where all I could find for the longest time and I only had one 10 rnd ( magpul) now that I have a stock of 10rnd mags and can shoot prone without the mag resting occasionally Im very happy with it.

Initially I was going to get a can for it.. But decided against it.

the second one I picked up for my wife who was into hunting then. she since decided to leave the killing to me so I sold it off at cost.

Ive never had any issue with any SIG product so im rather biased.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

from what I understand, there's not a standard design for 308 ARs, each manufacture has plenty of deviations, Ruger, CMMG, MATEN, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, but in general, the parts I see are either ArmaLite AR10, DPMS LR-308, or RRA LAR.

The Sig uses a roll pin held bolt catch, like ArmaLite, therefore I was hopeful it would work.

This picture highlights the difference. It seems to me that Sig's bore axis is much higher in the upper receiver - hence why LaRue's LT762 mags won't work, the Raptor and Gunfighters won't work, and the bolt catch didn't work either.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

AWDeity, check out this charging handle.  I have it installed on my Sig716 and hopefully will get some range time in the next couple weeks to try it out.

BTW...I may live in the same state as BTE but I have no affiliation what so ever with the company!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I received my 716 from buds recently.  I cleaned/lubed it with clp/slip 2000 before I shot it (didn't clean the barrel - don't have a boresnake and brush yet).  I only had time to shoot 40 rounds and it had no problems with PMC/147 gr.  I was shooting about minute of hand at 100 yards with iron sights.  I will be replacing the trigger as I just installed a hiperfire 24c on my AR-15.  This was my first big spend on a trigger and it's great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

AWDeity, check out this charging handle.  I have it installed on my Sig716 and hopefully will get some range time in the next couple weeks to try it out.

BTW...I may live in the same state as BTE but I have no affiliation what so ever with the company!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it works, they're about to get rich. Vltor/BCM have zero plans to make a handle for the 716 according to them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I just added the Black Rain Ordinance Tactical latch, nice and big to clear the scope.

http://www.blackrainordnance.com/tactical-latch/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top