Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 8:03:55 AM EDT
I am really at a crossroads in which to get, the 556r or the 107. I understand about the quality issues of the gen1 556r. My reason for wanting one or the other is purely the M39 round.

I would love to hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks,
SK
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much AK experience (MAK90 for a few years), I've had my 556R (produced in April '13) since mid October '13; I have really had fun shooting it, decent trigger, pretty accurate with just a red dot, using Russian ammo, virtually no recoil, a little on the heavy side. I've cleaned it twice since acquiring it & shot over 500 rounds with no malfunctions of any kind (using 5 different brands of steel case ammo). I plan on putting my Sightron SII on her next month & seeing what it will do with Hornady STS & Zombiemax?

I've got over $1500 in the 556R including sights, Troy rail & red dot - certainly not an economical way to pound rounds downrange. If I were going to buy a rifle to sling 7.62x39, I'd probably get a Zastava PAP92 rifle conversion from CNC Warrior or a NPAP from JG.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't be much help....I have them both. My favorite is the Sig only because I have not had it as long as the 107.

The sig is very accurate even with the cheap stuff. The rail and accuracy are the sig advantages, everything else is equal
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't have a 556R. Have had numerous 556 rifles. I do have Arsenal 107FR's.

The new Xi will offer numerous advantages over the 107. If you like AK rifles, and don't plan on adding a lot of stuff to your rifle, then take a look at the 107. If you do think you'll be adding on accessories, the rail version of the Xi would make that easier, plus the ability to use better sights, better sling mounting options, better optic mounting, different stock options, caliber changes if so desired, etc.

Or, just get both!
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are 5' tall and like a crappy trigger , crude sights and a short sight radius and so-so accuracy buy the AK.

If you want a rifle with ergonomics for an adult frame , various sight options , good trigger and accuracy buy the SIG 556R

The SIG XI has added feature but not added performance down range over the 556R. If you desire the added features and want to pay extra for them buy the XI.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 556R (gen 2) and a 107.  

556R has better ergonomics.  Right side folding (less snags against chest, doesn't interfere with BCG so it can be fired folded), top pic rail, better safety (ambi), AR-like takedown, adjustable gas block.    

Safety is too short, hard to actuate but Krebs makes one that drops in and works nicely.  Trigger is gritty but I believe Shooting Sight has an aftermarket fix (I have no experience with it).  Absorbs recoil well but it's a little more front heavy than the average 16" 7.62 AK.  Rattles like an AK but that doesn't matter to me.

Downside, I don't think it'll hold up as well as a traditional AK over time .  I don't mean it'll fall apart, I just think it might need more maintenance and parts replacement.  I could be wrong, time will tell but honestly I'm not that concerned even if it does.

Good rifle.

ETA: Love my 107 too though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If I could only own one 7.62x39 weapon it would be the 556r. It takes AK magazines and is a much better design than the AK.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If only one, I'd go with the AK, based on supply chain.  The world is flooded with enough parts to keep it running for generations.

Not that Sig support is going anywhere.  It's just that a model could be dropped/modified/replaced at any point and while Sig would continue to support it, AK parts availability would be the better long term bet.

The 556R just has a few parts I could see wearing out down the line.  Quick few come to mind.  Stock hinge is plastic.  Pic rail is screwed in.  The magwell steel reinforcement is screwed in.  I could see the rubber skirt behind the charging handle eventually becoming brittle and wearing out.  Just little things like that.  I like the rifle a ton though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Arsenals are shit.  I see more complaints about Arsenal garbage with canted sights, shitty finish, etc.  Spend the same money and get a Sig.  Your money is better spent and it doesn't go to a commie that endorses progressive scum in the elections.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Get both - I own three Arsenal AK's - I never had any issues
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own three Arsenal AK's - I never had any issues
View Quote

Three here too.  Never an issue either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top