Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2012 8:34:32 PM EDT
We ran 700 rounds through it today with zero failures and zero malfunctions. Well, other then the little rubber charging handle thingie flying off and promptly disappearing into the wild.  

I'll have to write up a thorough report later but its off to beers and steak with the gang. We fired Hornady SST, Yugo Brass, Brown and Silver Bear FMJ and HP, Wolf Military Classic FMJ and HP, Tula FMJ and HP, 40 rounds of Winchester Super X Soft Points and some odd looking Prvi Partizan SP. I went over the 556R prior to the testing and lubed with white lithium grease. It's what I typically use on AK's so thought it appropriate on the 556R. Yes, I slapped the Sig RDS on the rifle. Figured I might as well test what they included in the package all around to include the Tapco mag.....(pause for effect).....seriously? Surprisingly, the Tapco worked fine. Never used one so wasn't exactly sure what to expect. The Sig RDS will find a home on a 22 of some kind, it really has no place on a serious firearm of any sort. It will soon be replaced with an ACOG with a 7.62x39 BDC.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It seems they have worked the bugs, and this rifle is next on my list.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it safe to say the bugs are indeed worked out. I expected at least one or two incidents breaking it in but had no events throughout our shooting session. We ran VTAC drills most of the day and it ran hot throughout. Gloves were a requirement on the foreend.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
And on top of everything else they are accurate. I've fired some handloads that grouped at 1.25" at 100.  Mine east anything and has owrked with all AK mags both steel and ploy. Mine came with a Bulgarian ploy mag that worked fine. I do have a few Tapco mags and they work fine as well. They even worked in my Yugo AK. SAv ethat Yugo brass as it is hot and accurate. I'm buying one mor ecase of it for spares.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Much more accurate then any AK I have owned or fired. The next mission is to get the 51T squared away for suppressor use.

The suppressor mount does not fit over the growth at the end. I think taking 2 inches off will also help in the balance department.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know.  Mine is still awaiting some sort of sight and some range time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Are there any type of factory back up sights,I dont see any in the pic?
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It comes with the rear fold-down leaf sight in the rail, but the front is an empty dovetail.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It comes with the rear fold-down leaf sight in the rail, but the front is an empty dovetail.

thank you sir
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Just waiting for a 556R Patrol
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been really fighting off selling my 556 SWAT and buying one of these. I have plenty of 5.56 rifles but no 7.62x39. I love the Sig action and feel. Might be the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I think this is hands down the best thing going in 7.62x39. I was very close to beginning to pour money into a custom barrel etc for my ACR and I found out that Sig had reworked the 556R. It is extremely accurate, love the ambi safety in the same position as a AR and love the fact it utilizes AK magazines. All things considered, if you are wanting/needing a 7.62x39, this is the way to go IMO.

You probably can't tell I was enjoying myself but yea, I was.

Personally, I would keep the 556 SWAT.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I mentioned this on another forum and its worth mentioning here......

You have two very different suppressor adapters you can use for each application. (AAC) I failed to mention that earlier. If you get the hump at the end reduced it will allow you to utilize the thread the rifle came with 5/8-24. However, if you choose to cut it down to 14.5 and have it pinned it is a different adapter due to the fact you are using a small diameter barrel portion once it has been cut back. So for a cut and pinned 14.5 you would use a 9/16-24.

You should keep this in mind when ordering your adapters for an AAC.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to crap on Blackwind's thread, but I thought I'd bump this with a bit of a range report.

I put about 150 rounds through mine this weekend.   I had a few double feeds with one sketchy, dented, heretofore untested AK mag, but it experienced no problems with my other steel AK mags or the included plastic mag.  

The trigger could use a bit of adjustment like my other 556s but was perfectly usable as-is, with a much smoother and lighter pull than both my XCR and any out-of-the-box AR I've owned.

I wasn't shooting for accuracy, since an unmagnified red dot is nothing I'm going to win any awards with, but the gun had no trouble putting all of the magazine into a 2" target circle at 50 yards when I could get it pointed in the right direction.   Ammo was steel-cased Tula.  

I noticed that getting the bolt back was similar to the kind of struggle sometimes encountered with AKs.   I assume this is due to the stronger hammer spring to help mitigate the 7.62 recoil.    

I also noticed quickly that the rear sling attachment tended to smack me in the nose, so I reversed it.  

It was a fun-shooting rifle and didn't seem to get as hot as quickly as AKs I've owned.   I think I'm going to enjoy shooting it.  3-gun duty may be a bit problematic since they won't let me shoot bi-metal ammo at steel, and I may have to cobble together some sort of magnification if I want to hit anything at 300 yards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Tell us about that thing inside the trigger guard, right behind the trigger.

Looks like some sort of trigger stop.
Looks really flimsy.

What is it made of?
What does it (thread?) into?
Does it adjust?
Is a special tool required to adjust it?
Does it have the potential to unscrew itself?

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell us about that thing inside the trigger guard, right behind the trigger.

Looks like some sort of trigger stop.
Looks really flimsy.

What is it made of?
What does it (thread?) into?
Does it adjust?
Is a special tool required to adjust it?
Does it have the potential to unscrew itself?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/556R-R1-detail.jpg

The black piece you are referring to allows you to adjust when the second stage of the trigger engages. Sadly there is no way to adjust over-travel on the 556
It appears to be steel and not flimsy. I don't know any specs on it. It is not a piece the gets beat around much.
The black hex bolt threads through a locknut on the other side of the trigger guard and into a captured spring system. It only requires a set of small wrenches to adjust.
With the locknut it is highly unlikely to come loose. The whole assembly can be spun without affecting the adjustment.

The 556R has a really long trigger pull. Mine came with the second stage being very long. I screwed the black bolt in so the trigger had 1-2 mm of take-up before the shot would break. I really like the trigger now. I hope this makes sense. Let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Neal
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I may have to cobble together some sort of magnification if I want to hit anything at 300 yards.

A big reason I plan on utilizing a TA33 on this rifle. Great post, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may have to cobble together some sort of magnification if I want to hit anything at 300 yards.

A big reason I plan on utilizing a TA33 on this rifle. Great post, thanks.

I'm not sure I want to invest that much in a caliber-specific optic for what will probably not be a serious use rifle, but it may get a Millett DMS or something.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info about the bolt behind the trigger.

At the risk of sounding like I'm nit-picking, tell me about the plastic thing on the cocking handle.

Does the little plastic part on the cocking handle come off easily?
Is there a purpose for it coming off? (i.e. necessary for removal of bolt carrier?)
Is it just a decoration?
If I pull it off and drop it in the snow, will the rifle still be operable?
If the plastic knob is missing, does the shooter just have some small stub to try to manipulate the bolt?
Should I just JB-Weld it in place so it won't get lost?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have it in front of me right now, but I got the impression the bolt knob is just a plastic cover over a steel part.   I know the base of it is steel.

You have to remove it to remove the bolt.  It also locks the bolt to the operating rod, so the rifle probably won't operate without it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Not sure if mine is different from ken_mays but the charging handle is just a metal part with a rubber/plastic cover. Cover is there to make it easier on the fingers. If the plastic falls off theres still plenty of metal to grab to charge the weapon. However its molded on there pretty good.

The entire charging handle is removed to remove the bolt, not just the plastic cover. Thats what the black metal lever on the bolt carrier is for behind the charging handle. You push down on it to pull out the charing handle. The charging handle attaches inside to the gas piston op rod. Its what locks the bolt carrier to the op rod. Without the charging handle the rifle would be a single shot with no good way to charge it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#22]
OK, so to be sure, if I drop the rifle and the plastic thing on the charging handle smashes into many pieces, the functional capability of the rifle is not compromised.

Yes?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK, so to be sure, if I drop the rifle and the plastic thing on the charging handle smashes into many pieces, the functional capability of the rifle is not compromised.

Yes?

Correct.  It's like the rubber cover on a pair of pliers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.

While I was thinking about this, I took the time to use the Googles and I see there are several vids that deal with the charging handle to varying degrees.

There is an aftermarket handle that has a lower angle of protrusion (and no plastic cover).
Any thoughts on the aftermarket charging handle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmuh6MN6Lg
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks.

While I was thinking about this, I took the time to use the Googles and I see there are several vids that deal with the charging handle to varying degrees.

There is an aftermarket handle that has a lower angle of protrusion (and no plastic cover).
Any thoughts on the aftermarket charging handle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmuh6MN6Lg

You better watch out before someone dips the chargers on all your rifles with this!

There have been some threads on the Griffin charger before.  It's good if you're trying to clear an EOTech, but I do believe folks had it tear up the rubber gasket in the upper receiver.  Not an issue that'll shut a weapon down but it'll ugly it up a bit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
"Rubber gasket" in the upper receiver???

I'm afraid to ask.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm afraid to ask.

It's just a rudimentary dust cover that the charging handle travels through as it cycles.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm afraid to ask.

Do you know AKs?  It is just to keep random junk out of the channel where the bolt handle moves.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I get it.

That riveted-rubber-dust-sweep looks like something that belongs on a screen door more than a fighting-rifle, but hey... somebody must have thought it needed it.
Maybe the same guy who chose the dainty "included optic."

Did SIG really use SIX RIVETS to install a rubber dust-intrusion-inhibitor?
I guess once it starts to go, and starts jamming the rifle, you bust out your multi-tool and carve whats left of this obstruction out of the operating channel?

I really want this rifle to be a success.
Still need to feel-out the issues before I spend over a grand on such a thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Well I believe they've put the cover in every 55x since the 550, so I believe its had a BIT of testing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well I believe they've put the cover in every 55x since the 550, so I believe its had a BIT of testing.

Ha! To put it mildly.

Went out today and ran it again for several hundred rounds.

We ran into issues running it with a suppressor. Either. We were using a AAC Mini7 and 762-SDN-6.

It ran great the last time when we tried a suppressor so....started breaking down the equations and common denominators and it boiled down to suppressed, it REALLY didn't like Barnaul Brown Bear Lacquer. Yugo and Federal it ate up and spit out all day long no issues. Unfortunately, I grabbed the wrong ammo box so didn't have the variety I wanted to test and was left with only those ammunition to run. I plan on going next weekend and testing several different combloc and see what will run and what will not suppressed. With a suppressor the 556R is one gassy ass M'Fer. I had to switch from my typical Oakley shades to freakin goggles. Other than our misadventure with the suppressors, it worked fine unsuppressed just like all the other range visits.

I'm removing the SIG sling ring from the rear. It smacked me in the nose today and lets just I'm not a fan.  

I'll utilize a Magpul RSA on the top rail as far back as possible. It's so gassy in fact I at one point made a safe weapon and pulled the Yugo from the weapon and this is what it looks like running a suppressor. Yes, we ran the Tapco mag with Yugo as well and in the end Yugo ran in all the magazines we had just fine with a suppressor.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Im sure you already know this, but just in case, that Yugo Brass is corrosive as all hell. Do a gas system flush with hot soapy water, repeat down the barrel, and you should be okay.

ETA, I bought a 556 Classic the other day, lubed it and fired 400 rounds out of it. I was sold. I REALLY like this rifle, alot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:23:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I looked at a 556 yesterday since the shop didn't have any 556R's.  They said they had a couple but sold them recently.  

I'm sort of torn between a 556R or a 716 right now.  I know the 716 costs more and its a different design but it is a nice looking/feeling rifle.  and its .308!!

I don't own any 7.62X39 rifles right now so the 556R would be a "new" caliber for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#34]
All semi-autos running  a suppressor are going to barf a LARGE amount of gas back down the barrel on each shot.

The more powder you burn the more gas you are going to eat.

Even .223 will choke you in short order.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Im sure you already know this, but just in case, that Yugo Brass is corrosive as all hell. Do a gas system flush with hot soapy water, repeat down the barrel, and you should be okay.  

Yugo brass is something I have used for years. Have never had an issue. I clean my weapons the same way with no special cleaning measures. spray it all down with gun scrub, toothbrush duty, relube.....wait for the next go round.  The issue with Brown Bear appears to be under gassed. It just does not have the uff needed to fully get a clean extraction and cycle that next round. I need order at least 500 of that soft nose Prvi Partizan and try that through the suppressor as well along with Wolf Poly. I suspect the Tula would be just as bad as the Brown Bear.

Quoted:
All semi-autos running  a suppressor are going to barf a LARGE amount of gas back down the barrel on each shot.

I'm going to disagree. I get no where near that amount of gas as demonstrated in that photo. I run suppressors often and on a variety of host. Two of my AR host in particular are setup to address gas in the shooters face. My ACR is probably what I get the least amount of gas with. In fact, its pretty much nonexistent. The 556R literally belches a wealth of blowback into the shooters face through the rubber gasket along with thoroughly coating the magazine and ammo with residue. The bolt carrier was literally black with it.

Guys, I'm sold on the 556R.

It performs extremely well and no AK I have ever shot or seen shot comes close in accuracy. I am impressed enough I'm going to proceed in ordering another.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#36]
That Yougo is really great ammo corrosive or not. Its hotter than everything else I've fired. And it fairly cheap.

I love my 556R. AK's dont fit me but teh 556R does just right.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Pardon the dumb question as I own a 556, but have never seen a 556R... Do they take standard AK mags?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pardon the dumb question as I own a 556, but have never seen a 556R... Do they take standard AK mags?

Yup. That's the big selling point. Basicly a highly updated, extremely accurate, modern rifle that accepts AK magazines. The only mag it presently doesn't accept are the US Palm AK30 mags. They apparently can be dremeled to fit however. While you can't see the business end in this picture, you have the idea. Same as the 556. Tight fit (in comparison to an AK) comparable to an AR with two push pins to disassemble. Ambi safety in the same place as an AR just like the 556.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. That's the big selling point. Basicly a highly updated, extremely accurate, modern rifle that accepts AK magazines. The only mag it presently doesn't accept are the US Palm AK30 mags. They apparently can be dremeled to fit however. While you can't see the business end in this picture, you have the idea. Same as the 556. Tight fit (in comparison to an AK) comparable to an AR with two push pins to disassemble. Ambi safety in the same place as an AR just like the 556.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Shooting/44242_465375066819198_1739514801_n.jpg

Are they offering it in 5.45? I'm going to have to look at the 7.62 version and dump my AKs
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Not that I'm aware of. I would be interested is that as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#41]
The 556R has been chopped down and pinned and has well over 2400 hundred through it to date. I've stopped counting.

We ran it suppressed again yesterday and it ran great with Wolf Poly or Brown Bear......for the first 120 rounds or so. I opened the gas up....same thing, choked every few rounds. I only brought comm bloc varieties for testing this very issue so I'll keep chasing the dragons tail. I'll focus next week on Federal, Yugo and Prvi Partizan. Picked up 120 rounds of Prvi to try it and see how it works. Ultimately if it won't run with the 762-SDN-6 or Mini7 its not a major factor but it sure would be nice. When it does run (currently Federal or Yugo) it is QUITE compared to a 5.56 with the same cans. I always have the option of running those cans with 300 BLKOUT on an AR platform if I need/want a .30 caliber option suppressed. The Scorpion grip is worlds better in my opinion. Thinner up top and longer. Works well and I'm going to proceed to painting.
All in all, VERY happy with the 556R. Great rifle.

didn't realize how much shorter the 556R was than the AMD. No wonder the 556R feels so damn handy. After all the testing spent a good 300-400 rounds just running drills and I do mean running. I was pouring sweat by the time I was done and had a blast. The 556R is one hell of a rifle for a 7.62x39. Had two reactive steel set up at 50 and 75 yards and focused on contact drills.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I got tired of waiting. About half way done with mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was reading about your efforts on SIG 556. Sweet!
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you giving the 556R a second chance?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,
Grabbed one of the new generation when it came into the shop. Ran a couple hundreds rounds of all the types of steel cased I had. Ran great.
Now it is cut down to 9 inches. Just waiting to get the free time to devote to finishing it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Do the AK mags operate the bolt hold open after the last shot?

On an optical note, you hunters may be interested in this scope.

http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/posp-4x24-rifle-scope-w-400-meter-rangefinder-weaver-version.html

It is set up for 7.62x39 and has aiming points for 100, 200 and 300 meters.  The height based range finder is set up to 1 meter (the average size of a standing deer) so you put the deer between the base line and the curve to determine its distance, and then aim and fire.

I have this set up on one of my AK's I use for hunting and like it a lot.  I have never used this particular scope model though, so I can't give you a first hand report.  It may be worth looking into, because for its modest price you get a range finder, BDC aiming points, and illuminated retical.

Brick
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,
Grabbed one of the new generation when it came into the shop. Ran a couple hundreds rounds of all the types of steel cased I had. Ran great.
Now it is cut down to 9 inches. Just waiting to get the free time to devote to finishing it.

Glad to hear that they corrected the issues.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#49]
So I "broke" the 556R.  

I stopped counting how many rounds have been through it after 2400 but if I had to guess I'm thinking since end of Oct we put another 1500+ through it to include up to this past weekend.  

Decided to clean it before heading over to my sisters for Thanksgiving dinner and noticed the bolt was not allowing me to charge it fully back and when attempting to take the bolt and carrier out, it was catching on something and not falling out. I could not see or feel any obstruction so was at a loss as to why it was not coming out.

I could hear metal on metal connecting so grabbed a bright small light and out came my magnifying glasses and noticed readily what was happening. The pin at the extractor point had fallen through and was not allowing the bolt and carrier to fall out. I had to reach in there with a very small precision flat head screw driver and push the pin back to allow it all to fall out.

The end of the pin appears to be trashed and it freely falling out like that I suspect is not how its supposed to work. Hope the pictures help. I plan on calling Sig Monday and see how to go about getting a new pin etc.

Side A, with pin put back in

Side B, pin back in, note the damaged head

The pin, pretty messed up

This is what I was seeing on one side. The pin fell through and was hitting the receiver wall and shelf and not allowing the bolt and carrier to fall out.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#50]
How's the balance compared to the AK? I'm looking for something a little less front heavy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top