Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2012 3:50:35 PM EDT
OK, I am an early adopter.  My 556 was and is flawless, my SBR 556 is flawless and I'm hoping that my 716 is that way also.  (Don't ask me about my early Kimber Solo...I think I got one made late Friday afternoon.)

I have not shot it yet, I'll go to the indoor range next week for a 25 yard zero and the outdoor range later.  I have, however, cleaned it and taken pictures.  

This is what came with it (the case is just a SIG case so I didn't take a picture of it):

Upper and lower separated:

Fire control group from above:

Looking aft towards the buffer tube (please excuse the dirty towel):

Shots of the bolt and carrier from different angles compared with a Colt (I believe) AR15 bolt and the piston:

I am not an expert on anything, especially AR piston rifles, but it appears at first blush to be well put together and robust.  It was interesting to me that the 716 bolt has what appears to me to be lightening cuts and the "carrier key" is part of the carrier group and not a separate piece.  I am told that this is the standard for piston ARs.  Since this is my first .308/7.62 AR rifle I can't compare it to any other bolt for that caliber.  I am looking forward to shooting it and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Lucky
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Range Report Please
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats !  Gotta wait for tax return to pick mine up.
Don't  forget the range report.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That may be my next set of rifles, subject to favorable range reports.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I wasn't going to shoot it until next week, but...
I went to the indoor range to see if I could get it on paper.  I was using the mag as a monopod.  I am not the world's greatest shot.  This is the first shot at 25 yards.

These are the next 6 rounds.

Fifteen round rapid fire:

Forgot to add, I was shooting Aussie military surplus.

I am very happy with the results!  The rifle feels solid and is more accurate than I am.  As I have said, I've been very lucky with my SIG rifles.  I hope they all are as good as this one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went to the indoor range to see if I could get it on paper.  I was using the mag as a monopod.  I am not the world's greatest shot.  This is the first shot at 25 yards.
http://i42.tinypic.com/bjfnf7.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/nfihvs.jpg

I am very happy with the results!  The rifle feels solid and is more accurate than I am.  As I have said, I've been very lucky with my SIG rifles.  I hope they all are as good as this one.

You know you used the same picture for the first shot and six shot group pics right?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i40.tinypic.com/nfihvs.jpg

You know you used the same picture for the first shot and six shot group pics right?

ETA:  What's it weigh?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Cr*p, I fixed it.  I'm not sure how heavy it is, but it's not light. SIG calls it 9.3 without a mag.  I believe it!
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#11]
The FDE version will soon be mine....

Thanks for the report OP, my itch just got worse.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice rifle. Take your time, and break it in right. What was the cost? What mags does it use?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, the 716 looks awesome. The street price looks pretty good at around $1600. Gonna have to get one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]
It uses Magpul .308's.  I can't tell you what I paid, but I think the street price will be just south of $1700.  

I went to the outdoor range to shoot it at longer ranges.  I found out two things, my Leupold 1.5x5 scope is not as powerful as my old eyes need and I am not that great of a shot.  These shots were taken at 50 yards seated with a front support.  I had 5 different types of ammo, but it liked the 168 grain the best.  I had Federal Sierra Matchking and PPU Match that were both 168 so I shot that for what I laughingly call accuracy.  I shot 5 rounds each string.

This is the Federal at 50 yards:

PPU at 50 yards:

Federal at 100 yards (I shot two strings each, the second I shot using the hold under to try and hit the center of the target):

PPU at 100 yards (same as the Federal, 2 five round strings, the top most one on the Shoot and See was from the first and higher string):

By the way, I don't claim to be a great shot.  I haven't shot at this distance in 6 or 7 years.  I suspect I will get better with practice.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got my 716 last week. While cleaning it for the first time, I noticed there was no firing pin spring. The manual shows one in the illustration on page 74 and in the parts diagram. Did yours have one?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Just got my 716 last week. While cleaning it for the first time, I noticed there was no firing pin spring. The manual shows one in the illustration on page 74 and in the parts diagram. Did yours have one?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just checked mine.  There is no spring although it is shown in the manual.  It is essentially an AR bolt and they don't have springs as far as I know.  You are good to go.   Here is a picture taken by Tokarev from the m4 forum.  The smaller bolt is from a SIG 516.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info.  I'll take it to the range next week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#20]
My local gun shop just got one (1) in this morning, and I was sorely tempted to buy it.  Looked really nice–– as in, it looked like it was of good quality.

The price, however, was a bit steep.  $1795
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Unfortunately, the price of admission for .308 ARs is steep.  For a piston .308 AR it's not bad for what you get.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My local gun shop just got one (1) in this morning, and I was sorely tempted to buy it.  Looked really nice–– as in, it looked like it was of good quality.

Not a bad price for a piston .308 with a rail and flip up sights
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Try $2350. I went to my local favorite funshop and there was a new one for that price and a DPMS LR-308 SASS for $3400. I damn near choked on the soda I was drinking when I saw those. I was like Obama hasn't been re-elected yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a bad price for a piston .308 with a rail and flip up sights
I think my .308 AR build will be about the same price.  

Buds has them for $1745, but they're out of stock.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I thinking this will be my next purchase.  I love my 551A1.  Hoping the price will drop a little.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Paid $ 1,495.00 for the rifle. Put a Burris 2 x 7 with a qd mount on it. Picked up a box of remington 150 gr bullets to get it sighted in.
Wind was 10 - 20 mph at the range. Shot at 100 mtrs. The remington factory amm grouped about 3 1/2", not very good in my opinion. I shot two more groups (5 shots) with a friends Hornady 155 AMAX reloads. Both groups were about 1 1/2". I was happy with those groups given the wind and scope combo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the review, range report and especially the target photos.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had my SIG716 for a few months now and am really digging it.  The weight's a little on the hefty side but I think that's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately.  

Here's mine with my AAC can attached.  This is my first experience with a suppressed 7.62 battle rifle and I'm very pleased with how well the can works.

The gas setting can be turned off for use with subsonic that wouldn't cycle the gun anyway or if you want to catch your brass, etc.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I just jumped on board this band wagon today. Paid a bit much for it but there haven't been any 308 ARs even available so when this one popped up I jumped at it. Got it for $1900 but I'm satisfied. It will be a few weeks before I get to shoot it but it sure looks great next to the M400 I have in the safe next to it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well I just jumped on board this band wagon today. Paid a bit much for it but there haven't been any 308 ARs even available so when this one popped up I jumped at it. Got it for $1900 but I'm satisfied. It will be a few weeks before I get to shoot it but it sure looks great next to the M400 I have in the safe next to it.

Welcome to the club. Let us know how you like it after you've had the chance to shoot it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, how's the trigger feel?
Anybody, can you swap in an aftermarket AR trigger like a Geissele for an AR-15?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I picked up one on Saturday, for $1799.  I have a question for you guys, who have them.  Does the dust cover, on yours, close and leave gaps on the sides or does it fit flush all around?  Mine almost looks like it is for a 5.56.  There is  pretty good gap on either side when it is closed.  It closes and locks into place, but you can see the bcg on each side.  Here's a pic of it.  

eta: just got off phone with Sig, new dust cover on the way.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Most aftermarket triggers will fit, according to the ones I have looked at.  At some point I will get an aftermarket trigger (I think) but I have spent all my gun money for a while.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Just bought my new Sig 716 at my local gun shop for $1625.00 Got home to late today to go to the range but I'm going tomorrow. Danm!!!  This thing is sweet. The craftsmanship on it is the best I've seen in years. Every part fits perfectly and teh finish is great!. Trigger is smooth but a little heavy. SIg did this right. Takes PMags 308 and standard AR15 trigger parts. Cant wait till tomorroe to shoot it!
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's a fun video of the 12" version:

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#36]
brought my 716 home today. there seems to be a huge variance on the prices. i paid 1700.

as previously mentioned, the craftsmanship is nice. the trigger was a bit heavy. i installed an alg act group i had laying around.

i'm puzzled as to why sig places 5.56 proving dummies in the stock. i hope to take it out on friday.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#38]
yeah the ACS stock comes with the dummy rounds...pretty cool if you ask me
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone have the bolt release when manipulating the stock settings?

The two we had at the shop release the bolt when the stock is closed or set to lowest setting with bolt open.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#40]

When the bolt is locked back and the stock is bumped the bolt will release on any AR type rifle. Probably the same for most semi-auto rifles. If there is no empty mag holding up on the bolt catch, then the only thing holding it up (blocking the bolt) is the forward pressure the bolt/buffer spring pressing against it. If the rear of the rifle is jarred at all the bolt will move back slghtly agains the spring and the bolt catch will drop back out of hte locked position allowing the bolt ot slam shut.

If you can move the stock carefully you could probably avoid this, but if it clunks into position with and force then the bolt will close.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When the bolt is locked back and the stock is bumped the bolt will release on any AR type rifle. Probably the same for most semi-auto rifles. If there is no empty mag holding up on the bolt catch, then the only thing holding it up (blocking the bolt) is the forward pressure the bolt/buffer spring pressing against it. If the rear of the rifle is jarred at all the bolt will move back slghtly agains the spring and the bolt catch will drop back out of hte locked position allowing the bolt ot slam shut.

If you can move the stock carefully you could probably avoid this, but if it clunks into position with and force then the bolt will close.

I understand the "bump" of an AR stock , but this situation was different. When we closed the stock on the open bolt with very little force it would release the bolt. Might be an isolated incedent with ours, but seemed a bit touchy to me and not typical at all.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Well it just so happens that I just got a 716 today (after my previous reply) and just tried it out. Moving the stock from open to closed didn't seem to make to bolt close until I slammed it to the closed position with a fair amount of force.

Maybe it was a fluke. The Bolt catch may have barely had a hold on the bolt. With the ambi mag release it can be a little more difficult to get a good purchase on the bolt catch.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Pic:

SIG Sauer 716 by c.swimm, on Flickr

Brand new stock condition. Wasn't planning on picking one up today. I just stopped by the LGS for a friendly visit and spotted a SIG 938 in the case. I asked when they got that, and they said almost a week ago. Then She said they got another 716 in too. I had her pull it out and called my wife to meet me at the shop and to bring her credit card. I was kicking myself for not getting one of the last 2 they got in and had been hearing how the price is going up on theses. I got this one for $1750. That's $100 less than the last one they sold.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I just tried mine and it has that feature too.  Does not bother me at all.I've got a Glock 17 that will do that if I slam the mag in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#45]
My first post with AR15! Spent 10 years in the Army, shooting anything uncle Sam would let me shoot. Glad to be here!

Picked up Sig 716 last weekend at a local gun show, shelled out $1500 for it which is a good price compared to some checking around. Grabbing an Otis cleaning kit in .308/7.62 tonight and will clean the lube off the action and inside barrel, with expectation of range time this weekend.

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I tried the BCM Gunfighter handle today.  It looks like the problem is the ledge that engages the carrier.  On the SIG handle, the ledge is just slightly longer and gets a good bite on the carrier.  The VLTOR is shorter and doesn't properly engage.

SIG charging handle on the left:
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Is this the 7.62 version of the gunfighter charging handle or a standard 5.56 one ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is this the 7.62 version of the gunfighter charging handle or a standard 5.56 one ?

That's the 7.62 version.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've had my SIG716 for a few months now and am really digging it.  The weight's a little on the hefty side but I think that's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately.  

Here's mine with my AAC can attached.  This is my first experience with a suppressed 7.62 battle rifle and I'm very pleased with how well the can works.

The gas setting can be turned off for use with subsonic that wouldn't cycle the gun anyway or if you want to catch your brass, etc.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQ1HI52WTo&feature=channel&list=UL

What ammo and AAC attachment ?  I am running the brakeout and sdn6 and it is nowhere near as quiet...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top