Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I posted a couple of observations in a different thread but I will repeat them here.

The 556 classic has a very different ergonomic feel than the earlier 556 models.  The new lower receiver design has a different shape which completely changes the grip ergonomics.  It's essentially impossible to get the firing hand thumb to the safety while maintaining a firing grip - riding the safety in a ready position will be impossible for anyone who doesn't have plastic-man thumbs.  Same situation with the mag release, it's now impossible to reach with the shooting hand in anything resembling a normal grip.  For reference I wear XL size gloves, the vast majority of shooters are going to have more trouble than I did.

The stock design seems solid and usable.  Adjustment does require some force, unless it loosens up significantly in use there won't be any adjustment on the fly (not a problem IMO).  The folding mechanism was smooth with a solid lockup.

I can't believe that SIG had any human factors input into the new lower design.  Personally I could not recommend the 556 classic for a serious user due to the ergonomic problems.  YMMV.

Think I'll pass on the Classic.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I posted a couple of observations in a different thread but I will repeat them here.

The 556 classic has a very different ergonomic feel than the earlier 556 models.  The new lower receiver design has a different shape which completely changes the grip ergonomics.  It's essentially impossible to get the firing hand thumb to the safety while maintaining a firing grip - riding the safety in a ready position will be impossible for anyone who doesn't have plastic-man thumbs.  Same situation with the mag release, it's now impossible to reach with the shooting hand in anything resembling a normal grip.  For reference I wear XL size gloves, the vast majority of shooters are going to have more trouble than I did.

The stock design seems solid and usable.  Adjustment does require some force, unless it loosens up significantly in use there won't be any adjustment on the fly (not a problem IMO).  The folding mechanism was smooth with a solid lockup.

I can't believe that SIG had any human factors input into the new lower design.  Personally I could not recommend the 556 classic for a serious user due to the ergonomic problems.  YMMV.

I don't agree with you at all on the lower. We have similar size hands and the ergos seem to feel the same as an Ar15.

I can easily reach the mag release with my trigger finger and the safety can be flipped off with my thumb while maintaining my standard grip. The only thing that gives me a hard time is flipping the safety back on, however, I have the same issues with my Ar15s so it's nothing new.

Here are a few quick cell phone photos to show how it fits, give a few of you a little better idea.

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
556 Classic SWAT on GunBroker...$2,199.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121934466
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]

I got to handle one of these the other day at CTD's retail store in Fort Worth Texas. I was very impressed with the Classic SWAT. That stock locks up nice and tight and it appears to be geniune Swiss. I just can't justify spending the money on another 556, even though it does have the stock it should have had since the get go. Wonder if Sig would swap me lowers?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up my Sig Classic last week and love it. I DO have a couple of questions other owners out there may be able to answer for me.

Q1- How does the sling attach? It comes with one, doesn't say how it attaches in the manual. I can see the clip on one end most likely attaches to circular attachment under barrel? What about the rear attach point. There is nothing on the classic sling to attach it to

Q2- Is the trigger guard on the Classic interchangeable with AR trigger guards? Meaning, can I swap out the straight guard for a Magpul enhanced?

Q3- Is the flash hider/suppressor on the Classic interchangeable with same threads as an AR flash hider? How difficult is the change out if so?

Ok., that would pretty much do it for me. Thanks in advance

With some of its friends
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did ya'll buy your sig classics?
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I picked up my Sig Classic last week and love it. I DO have a couple of questions other owners out there may be able to answer for me.

Q1- How does the sling attach? It comes with one, doesn't say how it attaches in the manual. I can see the clip on one end most likely attaches to circular attachment under barrel? What about the rear attach point. There is nothing on the classic sling to attach it to

Q2- Is the trigger guard on the Classic interchangeable with AR trigger guards? Meaning, can I swap out the straight guard for a Magpul enhanced?

Q3- Is the flash hider/suppressor on the Classic interchangeable with same threads as an AR flash hider? How difficult is the change out if so?

Ok., that would pretty much do it for me. Thanks in advance

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/gallery/files/1/8/sigsauer_556_classic.jpg
http://www.jerzeedevil.com/gallery/files/1/8/sigsauer_556_classic_1.jpg
http://www.jerzeedevil.com/gallery/files/1/8/sigsauer_556_classic_2.jpg
With some of its friends
http://www.jerzeedevil.com/gallery/files/1/8/black_rifles.jpg

Q1 answer, a normal Sig 550 style sling is needed to mount on the Classic.  It has two hook snaps, one front, one rear.  For the front, it mounts on the loop on the front leftt side, not the loop underneath.  The under neath loop is for a bayonet lug to be added.  For the rear mounting, the sling mounts by another hook to the small loop hole in the back part of the stock.   My question for you, is what sling did you get with the Classic??  Neither one of my Classics came with a sling.  I put 550 slings on mine.  Search Sig 550 Sling on gun broker to see picture of how it attaches.  Also, you can buy sling loop hooks like those used on H&K slings to make most any sling fit a Classic.  These H&K style hooks can be found all over the internet for $5-$6.00 each.
Bayonet lugs can be found many places for $20-$25.  Beware of the MFI Nato Bayonet lugs, the castings on these are sooooo bad they will not even fit into a bayonet without major dremel tool work to the lug.

I am not sure abut Q2, There are other threads here where people have replace the pistol grips with modified magpul grips, but I am not sure about the trigger guard.  Maybe some else can speak up on this one.

Q3 answer, is yes it is threaded the same as an AR15 barrel thread (1/2 X 28).  Very easy to change out.  Have a buddy hold the rifle and you use a good fitting wrench which fits into the two flats on the falsh hider. (3/4" if I remember right).  It takes only minor preasure to break loss the flash hider from the crush washer using two people.  Make sure to use a good fitting wrench, can even use a cresent wrench, just be careful not to slip so as not to scratch the finish on the flash hider.  I hadmine off 15 minute after I got home to put my suppressor on.  I ended up putting a Vortex flash hider on it for when the supperssor is not on it.

Hope this helps.
Congrats on your new purchase.

LGS
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The sling that came with mine has a standard end with a buckle and the other end has a clip attach mech.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is some first hand wisdom to save others the hassle. The trigger guard of the classic is NOT the same as an AR trigger guard. I bought a Magpul trigger guard to put on my Classic at a gun show today and after pounding out that roll pin, I went to put the new one on and not even close.

Oh well, anyone need a Magpul trigger guard? All my ARs already have them
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Has anybody heard about any new shipments arriving to dealers? My dealer has had 3 on order since early December, I believe. He told me about a month ago that the rep said March.

Anyone????????????
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't agree with you at all on the lower. We have similar size hands and the ergos seem to feel the same as an Ar15.

I can easily reach the mag release with my trigger finger and the safety can be flipped off with my thumb while maintaining my standard grip. The only thing that gives me a hard time is flipping the safety back on, however, I have the same issues with my Ar15s so it's nothing new.

Here are a few quick cell phone photos to show how it fits, give a few of you a little better idea.

[

+1
I handled the 556's when they first came out and found that I had to shift my grip a lot to get to the controls.  Last night I looked at the Classic and it seemed different in that I could maintain my grip and flip the safety so I put some cash down on it.
Can't wait to try it out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it a standard 1/2x28 threaded flash hider?  This is important info for us NFA folks
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I dismantled it, and cleaning it and lubing it  real well so I can take it to the range next week.

Seems to be a very well made gun.

I think SIG is putting more QC in their classics then the others.

The finish on the lower leaves a lot to be desired though

What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
There are photos of the latest Classics on gunbroker. They now have "Sig Sauer" molded into the left side of the buttstock and an extra loop for a AR15 style sling connection. I wonder if this means they are now manufactured by some other source than the first version of the Classic stock. I hope quality hasnt decreased.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
That puts the stock in a whole different light for me.  I hope thats true!
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both the classic and swat, love the stock, tight fit. Great finish and of course sig quality. If you are going to pay for one of this get the one with the diopter which comes with the swat. very ligh and not heavy end, you cannot beat a sig. Piston driven AR's are selling between 2k AND 3k? WHY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE AND PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY PAYING FOR THEM? You can't beat the Sig 556 VS. the AR platform.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Picked up one last month (April) for $1,875.00...  Seems to be OK, I haven't taken her to the range yet, but there is some play between the upper and lower receiver, which somewhat sucks...  I'm sure that she will function fine, but for that kind of money, I wish the fitting was tighter.

Is there a way to correct this issue other than sending it back to Sig-USA, who will just say its "within specs" and send it back without doing anything??

As for the stock, once I save up some more $$$, I'm hoping to find a 551 folder to replace the one that came with it.  Also, I'm planning on buying the standard type rear sight system and a new sight base w/o the cheesey rear flip-up sight and Chinese (??) knock-off optic sight.

The finish is OK, but I'll most likely have it refinished in a DuraKoat type finish within the next year or so.  

I also have an earlier Sig 556 and the fit and finish on it is far better than on my Sig Classic.

Am I happy with the Sig 556 Classic?? ...Yes, but I'm not sure if I'll buy another Sig-USA rifle.  I heard that SIG-USA was/might be coming out with a 7.62mm version.  If so, I'll pass on it for either a DSA-FAL or a Armalite AR-10.

I'm happy that Sig-USA came out with the Sig-556 rifle series and I really like the ideal of it taking M-16/AR-15 magazines, but I wished that they would tighten up in the QC department.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:13:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Picked up one last month (April) for $1,875.00...  Seems to be OK, I haven't taken her to the range yet, but there is some play between the upper and lower receiver, which somewhat sucks...  I'm sure that she will function fine, but for that kind of money, I wish the fitting was tighter.

Is there a way to correct this issue other than sending it back to Sig-USA, who will just say its "within specs" and send it back without doing anything??

As for the stock, once I save up some more $$$, I'm hoping to find a 551 folder to replace the one that came with it.  Also, I'm planning on buying the standard type rear sight system and a new sight base w/o the cheesey rear flip-up sight and Chinese (??) knock-off optic sight.

The finish is OK, but I'll most likely have it refinished in a DuraKoat type finish within the next year or so.  

I also have an earlier Sig 556 and the fit and finish on it is far better than on my Sig Classic.

Am I happy with the Sig 556 Classic?? ...Yes, but I'm not sure if I'll buy another Sig-USA rifle. I heard that SIG-USA was/might be coming out with a 7.62mm version. If so, I'll pass on it for either a DSA-FAL or a Armalite AR-10.

I'm happy that Sig-USA came out with the Sig-556 rifle series and I really like the ideal of it taking M-16/AR-15 magazines, but I wished that they would tighten up in the QC department.

It is not out for the US yet, I guess they are available in Canada (Swiss Made)...they are $5500.00 Canadian!!

Google Sig751
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Can anyone measure or does anyone know the minimum and maximum length of pull on the classic stock?
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]

My classic swat.  I did the first to give you a size comparison vs my 6.5 grendel with 20" bbl and a sig 226 tactical. The diopter pic is with both the close quarters setting and the 100m peep. Clicks are positive and the sight stops at each setting. The blemishes on the stock are mildly disappointed but I'm going to duracoat it anyways so hey for the bargain I got no big deal. I'll do a range report probably next weekend shooting 75 grn prvi and wolf.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up my SIG556 ER for less than 1500.  I will change the polymer hand guard for a Samson Tri Rail.  They are really affordable now.  I will put the MBUS magpul sight on.  I can't wait to take it out to the range next week.  I will put picks later.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just picked up my SIG556 ER for less than 1500.  I will change the polymer hand guard for a Samson Tri Rail.  They are really affordable now.  I will put the MBUS magpul sight on.  I can't wait to take it out to the range next week.  I will put picks later.

Where, dude?
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Are there any current manufacture, or readily available, replacement stocks for the Classics that look like the old 552 folding stocks?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Can you now change the classic folding/ collapsible stock to accept a folding and collapsible AR 15 buttstock?  Sig has a THIS but is the classic the original 556?
I am put off by wording.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is my 556 Classic.  I changed out the mag release for the KAC mag release.  This only comes with the KAC AR15 ambi mag release kit.  I thought it would work nicely on the 556, and it does.  Mag changes are now easily accomplished without moving my strong hand.  I also put a Swiss standard folding stock on it.  And it wears the obligatory Aimpoint ML3 in (of course) LaRue RAS-2 mount.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#28]
JoshNC,

Where and how much for the stock?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
JoshNC,

Where and how much for the stock?

It came with a 551-2 parts kit I bought last year.  Total price for the kit.....$1250, which is the most reasonable kit I have ever purchased....almost half of what they usually cost. Try Gunbroker if you are looking for a Swiss 55x stock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
My Earlier 556 converted to Classic. I'm feeling satisfied. This thing is tight. Now for some green Swiss furniture. Anyone want to trade?

Link Posted: 9/27/2009 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I would have to say that the SIG 556 classic  is one nice looking carbine, in the standard black 550 style forearm.  My dealer was selling this basic model with a price tag of 1450.00 NIB.   My FFL advised me that specific wholesale distributors were having issues moving sig products and were dumping them in special deals to dealers as this supplier had over two thousand unit in inventory.  My dealer ordered twenty of the units and was planning on a same price range or cheaper, the gun came with the standard accessories and that clone dot sight that looks and feels like a mini aimpoint. According to my dealer if you are connected to security or law enforcement related work, Sig will offer a 100.00 rebate with proof of employer identification.  May keep that information as an added bonus and confirm with your FFL on that offer.  I know i am planning on buying one more sig classic, A gas piston operated firearm with all the features and looks of a top end gun its a true sleeper of a deal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought a NIB Sig 556 SWAT a few weeks ago from a Sig Distributor in North Carolina for $1349. I must say that I am quite happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#33]
JoshNC,

Does the Aimpoint co-witness the front site? Your setup is exactly the same as mine when my rifle is done with the holding period.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm probably going to purchase a classic in the coming weeks. Where should I be looking. Buds has them fro $970, and CDNN has them for $1,350, but you get a 522 with the purchase of the classic. Is anyone selling both for close to a grand?
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll also be purchasing a 556 in the next couple weeks.  Quick question...
My dealer has a Classic in stock but in looking online I've also seen the patrol (not swat, same hardware it looks like).

Is the only difference between the classic and patrol the short forearm?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#36]
what is current pricing on a sig 556 in OD with folding stock and rear flip up? newest gen
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what is current pricing on a sig 556 in OD with folding stock and rear flip up? newest gen

I am seeing them for about $971ish. Bud's has a good price on them in OD. There are some better deals out there, but that is the average.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#38]
When I purchased my classic I was thrilled. I waited until the classic model came out and looked until I found one. When I first picked it up out of the box I was a little let down. I am left handed and for me the butt stock folding hinge is directly above my thumb joint on my hand. That made it very uncomfortable to manipulate the safety. I had another friend of mine who is left handed  try it out. I did not say a word to him and the first thing he complained about was the hinge placement.
Having no other options at the time that I knew of for pistol grips I wondered what to do. I loved the classic look and that was the whole reason I waited to buy a 556 was of the classic look. I knew from looking at the standard hinge on the M4 style of stock that there was no issue with that due to the hinge mechanism being located differently on that model. But I did not like that look. So I ended up buying an M4 style complete lower and then selling the classic lower. I put a Magpul UBR butt stock on it and now it is ergonomically a better weapon for me. It does not have the classic look I wanted but with the UBR stock it comes close.
So I guess if you are left handed it is something to consider about the ergonomics and safety lever manipulation.

From this

To this

Early style side folder
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#39]
How are the accuracy on these vs an AR with an HBAR or M4 contour barrel??

I really like the Sig556 but I worry about the price point/barrel profile (medium vs heavy), etc.....still I am intrigued hence my posting.

Can anyone sound off with their range experience at 100yds +???
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Hi, I'm looking into buying a Sig 556 classic style. My question is this, What the heck is that goofy looking thing behind the trigger and why is it there?
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine shoots around a 3 inch group at 100 yards using federal M193F ball ammo.  That's with a eotech and resting the mag on a table for support, I'm sure it would shoot much better without me behind the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hi, I'm looking into buying a Sig 556 classic style. My question is this, What the heck is that goofy looking thing behind the trigger and why is it there?

That is what allows the trigger to be adjusted some what for pull.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine shoots around a 3 inch group at 100 yards using federal M193F ball ammo. That's with a eotech and resting the mag on a table for support, I'm sure it would shoot much better without me behind the rifle.

Mine does about the same off a front bag with a 4 MOA dot OKO with American eagle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I am a little late to this thread obviously, but I just wanted to chip in that I purchased a new SIG 556 SWAT http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig556-classic-swat.aspx from Sig and I paid $1,100, originally it was $1,400 with a $300 mail in rebate but after I bought it Sig offered me the rebate or $500 in Sig accessories. So far I have been very happy with it but honestly have not shot it that much. Probably less than 500 rnds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#45]
THE SIG 556 CLASSIC!!!

Well, I Purchased one about a month ago to be my SHTF gun...and finally shot it today...

Ran 100 rounds junk cased steel wolf WPA, not one failure of any kind, 20 rounds fired each from 5 different individuals ,
....about 60 of those rounds at 200 yards with open sights hitting a 32 inch t.v. just the way the gun came from the factory
and 3 30 round mag dumps of american eagle, all flawless
2 of those 30 round mag dumps were 25 yard runs with the stock folded...fun fun fun...best part is when the gun is folded the butt stock is a perfect forward grip!!!

I figure another 400 rounds with no failures and she'll be ready for the apocolyptic zombie battle! haha

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Nube here..   This is my 5.56 classic.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/yamaha_426_rider/1-2.jpg
I'm looking for suggestions for optics.  Maybe a reasonably priced red dot and magnifier.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Nube here..   This is my 5.56 classic.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/yamaha_426_rider/1-2.jpg

I'm looking for suggestions for optics.  Maybe a reasonably priced red dot and magnifier.

Rather than a red dot and magnifier, I decided on a 1-4x scope for my 556. At first I got the less expensive Milett DMS-1, but I replaced it with the Trijicon Accupoint TR24G and love it so much on my 556 that I got one for my 516 too.

SIG 556 by c.swimm, on Flickr

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Here it is 12/7/12 and I picked up a brand new Sig 556 Classic for $900 out the door!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Good price !!!  
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Sig Classics used to go for $900 - $1,100 new depending on dealer, etc.  What are the current market prices?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top