Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 7:14:17 PM EDT
Well, I finally got application forms, filled out, went and got fingerprints done and sent everything in roughly 4 weeks ago.  Had call from agent Friday setting up interview today, when was an hour late due to weather and the drive, and wow, just another federal government employee. Reminds me of so me our FDA inspectors over the years!   We did go over everything, nothing strange or an issue.  Simple straight forward, took her about an hour and half, and left with she would get done next week before she goes on vacation.  So maybe mid May or so in hand.  Why would anyone pay anyone how to apply for this simple task?  Nothing to it!  If only selling was this easy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, I finally got application forms, filled out, went and got fingerprints done and sent everything in roughly 4 weeks ago.  Had call from agent Friday setting up interview today, when was an hour late due to weather and the drive, and wow, just another federal government employee. Reminds me of so me our FDA inspectors over the years!   We did go over everything, nothing strange or an issue.  Simple straight forward, took her about an hour and half, and left with she would get done next week before she goes on vacation.  So maybe mid May or so in hand.  Why would anyone pay anyone how to apply for this simple task?  Nothing to it!  If only selling was this easy.
View Quote

some people are good at one thing but suck as another.

example. Maybe you excel at firearms. But SUCK ass at paperwork and govt red tape licenses etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
IOI's are not agents, they are basically auditors.  It's when the agents show up that you have to watch your six.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IOI's are not agents, they are basically auditors.  It's when the agents show up that you have to watch your six.
View Quote
i have no experience in this, as never been audited. but the IOI's ive met each time had the ATF badge. Unless the badge i saw wasnt the proper atf badge? so are they not actual agents? or they are just auditors? i dont know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i have no experience in this, as never been audited. but the IOI's ive met each time had the ATF badge. Unless the badge i saw wasnt the proper atf badge? so are they not actual agents? or they are just auditors? i dont know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An ATF Special Agent is a law enforcement officer......carries a badge and gun.
An ATF Industry Operations Investigator is not a law enforcement officer and does not carry a gun. They are regulatory and compliance inspectors, they carry ATF ID and pencils.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

An ATF Industry Operations Investigator is not a law enforcement officer and does not carry a gun. They are regulatory and compliance inspectors, they carry ATF ID and pencils.
View Quote
lol

yes the keyword being special.

are the special agents the ones who do audits and such? i thought they were more of the ones who work on the criminal side.... gun trafficking etc..
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An ATF Industry Operations Investigator is not a law enforcement officer and does not carry a gun. They are regulatory and compliance inspectors, they carry ATF ID and red pencils.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, us, not agent, and I guess I could look, but I'd bet none of her division are agents, just auditors. And yes, she does inspections looking for paperwork errors.......So she said
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.....are the special agents the ones who do audits and such? i thought they were more of the ones who work on the criminal side.... gun trafficking etc..
View Quote
If you are being "audited" by an ATF Special Agent you are in serious doo doo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.....are the special agents the ones who do audits and such? i thought they were more of the ones who work on the criminal side.... gun trafficking etc..
Agreed.  If an agent shows up to "audit" you, they better have a warrant. If they show up asking for records, it better be a part of an active criminal investigation.  An IOI has authority to audit you no more than once every 12 months under their "administrative authority" which DOES NOT extend to agents.  Even if an agent shows up with an IOI during a compliance inspection at one of my client's shops, I make the agent leave.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Agreed.  If an agent shows up to "audit" you, they better have a warrant. If they show up asking for records, it better be a part of an active criminal investigation.  An IOI has authority to audit you no more than once every 12 months under their "administrative authority" which DOES NOT extend to agents.  Even if an agent shows up with an IOI during a compliance inspection at one of my client's shops, I make the agent leave.
View Quote

The only scenario I know of where both an agent and an IOI would show up is when the FFL is ignoring a trace request.

Apparently there are quite a few who do that, which isn't real bright b/c failing to comply with one is a federal misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only scenario I know of where both an agent and an IOI would show up is when the FFL is ignoring a trace request.

Apparently there are quite a few who do that, which isn't real bright b/c failing to comply with one is a federal misdemeanor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and there's the active criminal investigation. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top