Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 10:22:34 PM EDT
Purchased a can through SS and used their "powered by" dealer network. My form was approved 3/11/17. Local SOT/dealer is a home based ffl/SOT. Since my dealer moved to another house, approved form 4 was forwarded to his new house via usps forwarding.

He is now telling me that he can't give me my approved form 4 and can until his license is updated/transferred to his new house...is this true? I just want my can...I bought it on 5/5/16 and the additional wait is killing me.

Any insight to how to proceed will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally, he can't conduct business at his new location until he has his updated FFL with the new address on it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generally, he can't conduct business at his new location until he has his updated FFL with the new address on it.
View Quote
Dang it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Poor planning on the FFL's part...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. I'm the asshole for asking him what's the holdup...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Purchased a can through SS and used their "powered by" dealer network. My form was approved 3/11/17. Local SOT/dealer is a home based ffl/SOT. Since my dealer moved to another house, approved form 4 was forwarded to his new house via usps forwarding.

He is now telling me that he can't give me my approved form 4 and can until his license is updated/transferred to his new house...is this true? I just want my can...I bought it on 5/5/16 and the additional wait is killing me.

View Quote

If he has an approved F4 he can xfer it you.

If he still has an FFL, then he can xfer it you at whatever location is on his currently valid FFL, or at a Gun Show.

If his FFL has lapsed, he can xfer it you like any other in-state F4 xfer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
So........how could the FFL have done a better job of planning his move?

100% of the problem is ATF. A change of address for an existing licensee shouldn't take more than a day, yet ATF treats it like it's a new application....taking weeks to issue the updated FFL.

ATF says give them 30 days.........mine took eight weeks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If he still has an FFL, then he can xfer it you at whatever location is on his currently valid FFL, or at a Gun Show.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His FFL is still good, he just need the address change.

It's definitely still his fault...he knew he was moving. His wife had another baby, needed a bigger home, and got new orders to move to the other Jacksonville, FL naval base. He told me so in August when I paid a visit to test fit my can on my upper. I'm not too sure when he finally moved and put in the request for address change.

Knowing how slow the .gov works, he should have got the ball rolling sooner rather than later. If there were other circumstances that were not in his control, I don't care...I want my can

ETA: I just double checked his ffl on the ez check tool...expires 6/1/18.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

100% of the problem is ATF. A change of address for an existing licensee shouldn't take more than a day, yet ATF treats it like it's a new application....taking weeks to issue the updated FFL.

View Quote
You of all people should know better than listen to the ATF.  Mine took 9 weeks.  I had a plan 90 days in advance.  I discussed my plan with my IOI and planned accordingly.  No lapse in services at my end!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You of all people should know better than listen to the ATF.  Mine took 9 weeks.  I had a plan 90 days in advance.  I discussed my plan with my IOI and planned accordingly.  No lapse in services at my end!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No lapse in services during my changeover either.......it just cost me $$$$ keep my original premises another month longer.
No one knows what ATF told the OP's dealer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No lapse in services during my changeover either.......it just cost me $ keep my original premises another month longer.
View Quote
Dealer insists he can't give me my can. I won't argue with him as I don't know 100% what the law is...especially when NFA items are involved.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No lapse in services during my changeover either.......it just cost me $$ keep my original premises another month longer.
View Quote
I have a good relationship with one of the DFW IOIs.   He set me straight and advised me to plan for an 8-10 week process to change locations.  Worked like clock work...old location on a Tuesday and new location on a Wednesday and actually saved me money.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I sent my dealer a text message asking him if it were possible for him to give me my suppressor at his location. I drove by there and his house is still not occupied. Since he does not have to do anything other than just hand me my approved form 4 and my can, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since he does not have to do anything other than just hand me my approved form 4 and my can, I don't see anything wrong with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Since he does not have to do anything other than just hand me my approved form 4 and my can, I don't see anything wrong with that.
This implies he still has an FFL:

Quoted:
So No, he cannot "just hand me my approved form 4 and my can". He has to obey law as I outlined earlier.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So No, he cannot "just hand me my approved form 4 and my can". He has to obey law as I outlined earlier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
A boy can dream, can't he?

His ffl is still good, just not for his new house...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

A 4473 is still required.  If the transfer is to a trust then NICS is required, unless you have the CHL bypass/exemption in your state.

The transfer can only occur at the dealer's licensed premises - his old house.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A 4473 is still required.  If the transfer is to a trust then NICS is required, unless you have the CHL bypass/exemption in your state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have my CC. The transfer is to a trust.  I'm sure he's just being cautious. He did get back to me after I texted him earlier about doing the transfer at his old house. He told me that he has an appointment with the ATF tomorrow. Let's see what he tells me afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#17]
So...no dice. He can't give me my can until his license is transferred to his new place. Funny thing is that he won't tell me when he initiated the  license transfer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So...no dice. He can't give me my can until his license is transferred to his new place. Funny thing is that he won't tell me when he initiated the  license transfer.
View Quote
Doesn't matter if he told you when he initiated it. Him mailing it off doesn't meaning anything other than that.
I just transferred mine and after I mailed it off, I got a call randomly from the new IOI like 4 weeks after I did. And then had my meeting with her a week later, and then got my new printed license in the mail like another 3 weeks I think.

Just like posted above, it should be Really simple but like anything else, Atf makes it longer (not really a pain in ass) but yea pretty much treated like a new app....almost.

There's not really much better planning the FFL could do. i guess he could have filed the transfer and then moved to his new house after he got the new license. But like most home based FFL that do it as a hobby/side income I would think moving/selling house would come first.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a small update...Checked the ffl and his new address is up on the atf website. Let's see how long until he gets the actual license and he calls me. I've been off of work since the 27th. I had a inguinal hernia repair...I am bored out of my mind.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Jesus Christ. Just got my can today.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#21]
NFA is occasionally a PITA but worth it in the end.. enjoy the can
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
NFA is occasionally a PITA but worth it in the end.. enjoy the can
View Quote
I hear ya. He got a variance to finish the last 5-6 transfers he has left. Supposedly he's out of the NFA game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top