Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 11:46:21 AM EDT
I don't see anything in the instructions of 4473 about making hard copy of a buyer's driver's license, CPL, etc, but I'm curious to know if this is common practice?

In other words, is my IOI going to have a problem with me not making copies?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#1]
no you do not need too.

when i worked at a gun shop part time before i got my real job the only time we made a copy of  DL/ID is if like the address was on the back and they used two forms of id(fishing license and DL or whatever).  Other then that never
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the dealers around me do it. It isn't something that's ever bothered me. With how badly the ATF can crawl up your ass about paperwork issues and record keeping, I really don't blame anyone for doing it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't see anything in the instructions of 4473 about making hard copy of a buyer's driver's license, CPL, etc, but I'm curious to know if this is common practice?

View Quote

Very uncommon........except for dealers who have Atfobia vulgaris. They invent all kinds of stupid shit that they think will protect them when the ATF IOI comes a calling.
Frankly, I'll bet an IOI that sees such unneeded, unnecessary, excessive and useless documentation will wonder "WTF is wrong with this guy? He must be covering his ass for something".

View Quote

No, because there is no such requirement in Federal law, ATF regs or the instructions on the Form 4473.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Not required, not common, and will probably only jam you up. Keep in mind certain IDs it is a Federal Offense to make a copy of.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not required, not common, and will probably only jam you up. Keep in mind certain IDs it is a Federal Offense to make a copy of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Just curious as to which ID is a federal offense. Just don't want to get in trouble. I make copies since in NJ a background check can take days if the state police are backed up. On a few occasions I have had the state police call and question a number on an ID and ask for a copy to be faxed to clear up any discrepancies. I guess everybody in my state is used to the extra paperwork and nobody has ever questioned the practice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It's against the law to make a copy of a DOD id card
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just curious as to which ID is a federal offense. Just don't want to get in trouble. I make copies since in NJ a background check can take days if the state police are backed up. On a few occasions I have had the state police call and question a number on an ID and ask for a copy to be faxed to clear up any discrepancies. I guess everybody in my state is used to the extra paperwork and nobody has ever questioned the practice.
View Quote

Pretty much all Govt ID

https://www.army.mil/article/28452/photocopying-military-cac-ids-a-violation-of-federal-law

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/701
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The only time I do is when the buyer is a LEO buying a restricted item.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The only time we make a copy is if customers handwriting is poor.  Sometimes helps with the address/strange names.  Fold the copy and bind with the 4473.  Never had it questioned.  We always make copies or request copies be sent for acquisitions.  Again, we need a name and address to enter into the bound book.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only time we make a copy is if customers handwriting is poor.  Sometimes helps with the address/strange names.  Fold the copy and bind with the 4473.  Never had it questioned.  We always make copies or request copies be sent for acquisitions.  Again, we need a name and address to enter into the bound book.
View Quote

Does that comply with the instructions on the Form 4473? (no, it does not.)

A copy of the buyers DL is not part of the Form 4473. You need to be sure the information is correct AND legible on the 4473.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty much all Govt ID

https://www.army.mil/article/28452/photocopying-military-cac-ids-a-violation-of-federal-law

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much all Govt ID

This.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
i do not do this,
i make sure that there hand writing is clean and legible and document there ID type and # on the 4473
if i am buying a firearms i request to see there ID and document the type and number on the bill of sale
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Does that comply with the instructions on the Form 4473? (no, it does not.)

A copy of the buyers DL is not part of the Form 4473. You need to be sure the information is correct AND legible on the 4473.
View Quote
Since my IOI's are fine with our process, we will stay with it.  When they have a concern, we will change.  4473's are not a spelling or literacy test.  How an employee reads it when running NICs may be different than the way I see it when entering in the bound book.  We seem to be in complaince.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top