Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2016 3:40:04 PM EDT
I'm thinking about starting up a Cerakoting business and getting my FFL. How big of a PITA is it? I have no interest in buying or selling firearms for a profit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly not to bad so far zoning is key, the wait suxs but not like a nfa item so far.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I run a cerakoting business with a 07 FFL. I've found that it's MUCH easier to make money as you can take work in from just about anywhere. Pay the SOT too and it gets even better.

It's not HARD to get it, as long as you've done your research on requirements if you'll be home based.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run a cerakoting business with a 07 FFL. I've found that it's MUCH easier to make money as you can take work in from just about anywhere. Pay the SOT too and it gets even better.

It's not HARD to get it, as long as you've done your research on requirements if you'll be home based.
View Quote

I would be operating out of a Morgan building on my property.

How much am I looking at to get an 07 FFL and SOT?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
150 for the FFL and 500 for the SOT.

As an 07, if you are manufacturing guns too you'll also have to pay itar.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

All I will be doing is Cerakoting, no manufacturing.

What is the benefit of having the SOT?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

All you need is a 01/ sot unless you're Drilling and machining of any kind you necessarily don't need to register
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All you need is a 01/ sot unless you're Drilling and machining of any kind you necessarily don't need to register
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20161011_093444_zpsph0umlmx.jpg</a>

I know. I had simply mentioned that I was an 07. He had asked how much it was so I responded. It's not necessary but it's nice to be able to put a bunch of extra parts together and be able to sell them after you coat them. Doesn't cost TOO much to have some lowers made for your shop.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know. I had simply mentioned that I was an 07. He had asked how much it was so I responded. It's not necessary but it's nice to be able to put a bunch of extra parts together and be able to sell them after you coat them. Doesn't cost TOO much to have some lowers made for your shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Well, maybe. BATFE considers Cerakoting part of manufacturing.  It's a little odd in that with an 01 you can CeraKote for a customer or for an 07 but not for another 01.  At least as of a few weeks ago.  Next week the interpretation may change again.  :)

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, maybe. BATFE considers Cerakoting part of manufacturing.  It's a little odd in that with an 01 you can CeraKote for a customer or for an 07 but not for another 01.  At least as of a few weeks ago.  Next week the interpretation may change again.  :)

Jeff
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jeff

This is the kind of bullshit that makes me hesitant to get an FFL
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
......  It's a little odd in that with an 01 you can CeraKote for a customer or for an 07 but not for another 01.  At least as of a few weeks ago.  Next week the interpretation may change again.  :)

Jeff
View Quote

Not true.
An 01FFL dealer/gunsmith most certainly can perform Cerakoating of firearms for other 01FFL's.
If a customer brings me a handgun he wants Cerakoted (and I do not do such work), I can ship it to "Mr Cerakote" (an 01FFL) for refinishing. "Mr Cerakote" will then return it to me, and I return it to my customer. It is no different than any other gunsmithing operation.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2009-1-firearms-manufacturing-activities-camouflaging-or-engraving-firearms/download

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top