Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2016 9:24:06 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm a new FFL and need some help sorting out the rules and regulations regarding shipping through the post office. I have, of course, read and re-read the 432 mailabilty document but I can't say it's the easiest thing to follow. Where I get hung up the most is that the 432 rules use the terms "must" and "recommend" for what seems like the same situations. I plan on calling someone up high (any recommendations?) at the post office who can give me advice, but as we all know, sometimes you get a dud who doesn't really know the rules. Maybe my IOI would be a good resource as well?

Please answer me these questions:

1. For in-state shipping, non-licensee to non-licensee of long guns, what is required and what do you personally recommend?

2 For interstate, non-licensee to licensee of long guns, what is required and what do you personally recommend?

3. For interstate, licensee to licensee of long guns and handguns, what is required and what do you personally recommend?

4. If 2 day express or registered really is required in one of the above situations, then which is cheaper?

Where I get hung up the most is that the 432 rules use the terms "must" and "recommend" for what seems like the same situations.

Thanks very much for your help and input.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello,

I'm a new FFL and need some help sorting out the rules and regulations regarding shipping through the post office. I have, of course, read and re-read the 432 mailabilty document but I can't say it's the easiest thing to follow. Where I get hung up the most is that the 432 rules use the terms "must" and "recommend" for what seems like the same situations. I plan on calling someone up high (any recommendations?) at the post office who can give me advice, but as we all know, sometimes you get a dud who doesn't really know the rules. Maybe my IOI would be a good resource as well?

Please answer me these questions:

1. For in-state shipping, non-licensee to non-licensee of long guns, what is required and what do you personally recommend?

2 For interstate, non-licensee to licensee of long guns and handguns, what is required and what do you personally recommend?

3. For interstate, licensee to licensee of long guns and handguns, what is required and what do you personally recommend?

4. If 2 day express or registered really is required in one of the above situations, then which is cheaper?

Where I get hung up the most is that the 432 rules use the terms "must" and "recommend" for what seems like the same situations.

Thanks very much for your help and input.
View Quote

Non-licensees cannot mail concealable fireams.

Overnight is not required.

I use priority mail, except for expensive stuff I use registered mail.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I edited my original post to remove the option of non-licensee shipping handgun through USPS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Handguns all go USPS priority, long guns are variable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget that you have to fill out a USPS PS Form 1508 when shipping using USPS.

Handguns go with USPS, licensed dealers/manufacturers.
Rifles I go with another carrier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top