Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2016 12:52:49 PM EDT
Hi  any help is appreciated ,

I am applying for a HB 01 dealer / 07 manufacturer , however I see this referred to as a 02/07 SOT ffl can anyone please describe what the 02 refers to and how to apply what I need (other than the atf form 7) forms.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi  any help is appreciated ,

I am applying for a HB 01 dealer / 07 manufacturer , however I see this referred to as a 02/07 SOT ffl can anyone please describe what the 02 refers to and how to apply what I need (other than the atf form 7) forms.

Thanks

View Quote

I presume "HB" means home based? If so it is immaterial to what type FFL you apply for.
An 01FFL is a dealer
An 07FFL is a manufacturer
Pick one.

After you receive your FFL,
If you desire to deal or manufacture NFA firearms you pay SOT or Special Occupational Tax each year.
If a dealer you would pay for Class 3 SOT, if a manufacturer you would pay Class 2 SOT.

Ex: A dealer in Title I firearms only is an 01FFL, if he pays SOT it is often represented as 01/03.....meaning he has paid his SOT that year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
OK think I got it - so one only pays Class 2 SOT tax if you manufacture NFA items for resale e.g. a SBR? - and you would only pay this post receiving your 07 ffl ? and if I have an 07 I do not need a 01?

Thanks

and HB does = home based (I only mentioned it for clarity)

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK think I got it - so one only pays Class 2 SOT tax if you manufacture NFA items for resale e.g. a SBR?
You pay Class 2 SOT if you are an 07FFL (manufacturer) so you can manufacture or deal in NFA firearms.
Remember, if you actually perform any manufacturing activities as defined by the State Dept. Munitions list you will also be required to pay ITAR each year....currently $2250 a year.

- and you would only pay this post receiving your 07 ffl ?
You can't pay SOT until you hold an FFL.

and if I have an 07 I do not need a 01?
07FFL's can do everything an 01 can do + manufacture.

Thanks

Thanks  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK think I got it - so one only pays Class 2 SOT tax if you manufacture NFA items for resale e.g. a SBR? - and you would only pay this post receiving your 07 ffl ? and if I have an 07 I do not need a 01?

Thanks

Thanks  
View Quote

Sounds like you really need to determine what you need to do.  

FFL is 01 is a dealer and they have to apply for a 03 SOT if you want to buy/sell NFA items
FFL is 07 is a manufacturer and they ahve to apply for 02 SOT if you want to deal with NFA items
Manufacturer's can manufacture while dealers can only buy/sell.
Manufacturers 07/02 can build machine guns
Manufacturers have to pay ITAR every year.  This is the typical deal killer for becoming a FFL 07.
Both can gunsmith for customers.
etc...

Fixed typo.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

FFL is 01 is a dealer and they have to apply for a 03 SOT if you want to buy/sell NFA items
FFL is 07 is a manufacturer and they ahve to apply for 02 SOT if you want to deal with NFA items
Manufacturers 07/03 can build machine guns
Manufacturers have to pay ITAR every year.  This is the typical deal killer for becoming a FFL 07.
etc...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks  

etc...

1) SOT is not an application, it is  tax.

2) SOT numbers are irrelevant to the public and using them only adds confusion when you get them wrong (07/03 for example.)

3) ITAR rules have been clarified, lots of 01 FFLs will need to pay ITAR, so might as well go 07.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

2) SOT numbers are irrelevant to the public and using them only adds confusion when you get them wrong (07/03 for example.)

3) ITAR rules have been clarified, lots of 01 FFLs will need to pay ITAR, so might as well go 07.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks  

etc...

This.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks  

etc...

Sorry, the 07/03 was a typo.  If you look at the previous one I had mention 02 SOT.  Also I never said it was for the public.  I do mention the FFL 01 and 07.  OP is asking about getting an license so I'm basing everything off of him and his confusion.
I never said the SOT is an application, however you do have to apply for your SOT after you get your FFL.  (https://www.atf.gov/file/11291/download)

Your right about FFL 01, where some will have to pay for the ITAR, but not all of them have to as long as they don't do the stuff on the list (pretty f*#&% up).
(DDTC link)  I really love the part about changing round capacity.. where if you drop in a limiter into a firearm (ie shotgun) without machining might be consider ITAR required.
Top Top