Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2016 12:35:45 PM EDT
ive been looking to get into the gun business for quite some time and am looking to get my ffl with class 3 as well. however i am wondering what else i will need after that. i will be running it out of my house for the time being until i am able to get my own building further down the road. it would be located in douglas county colorado. i am wondering what else i would need to get ie. tax id, business licence, etc. also, what is required for running it out of my house? security system? cameras? safe? guard dog? and would it matter that i am in law enforcement? thanks in advance for the help
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Before you even start check your local zoning and HOA CCR's (if you live in an HOA community) to see if a residential business is permitted.

Insurance is a must, your local homeowners won't cover your business and some have been known to drop people if they find out you're running a firearm business.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have checked all that I was just wondering about like business licenses and stuff. And is it better to set it up as an llc or sole proprietor? What all do I need licence wise?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have checked all that I was just wondering about like business licenses and stuff. And is it better to set it up as an llc or sole proprietor? What all do I need licence wise?
View Quote

I recently applied for a home based FFL.

Before that, this is what I did.

• I applied for a home based business permit with the city...approved...then

• I formed a single member LLC by filing the necessary paperwork with my secretary of state...you will want to do some homework here, every situation is different and you need to decide if LLC or sole prop. is better for you

• I applied for a state sales tax certificate...easy, the state wants their money

• Applied for FFL Type 1.

Licenses and permits will vary by location.  You need to check with local planning and zoning.  Maybe even the state.

I will tell you that the single member LLC videos from this laywer were very helpful...a little corny...but very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNh7tqEn68tf0oOfq4NsFsg?nohtml5=False
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
There are no requirements to have safes or a security / camera system for your business. ATF will cover it as a recommendation during your application inspection.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

• I formed a single member LLC by filing the necessary paperwork with my secretary of state...you will want to do some homework here, every situation is different and you need to decide if LLC or sole prop. is better for you

• I applied for a state sales tax certificate...easy, the state wants their money

Licenses and permits will vary by location.  You need to check with local planning and zoning.  Maybe even the state.

I will tell you that the single member LLC videos from this laywer were very helpful...a little corny...but very helpful.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great outline. Just keep in mind that if you go the LLC route that if anything happens to the LLC it will impact the license. For example: the state that I am in requires an annual report be filed each year which is $138, it's only $125 to create the LLC. But if you miss the May 1st deadline then you're fined $400 on top of the $125 to remain active. If you miss the deadline then you get to decide if it's worth parting with $400 for nothing or starting over and saving a few bucks...Moral of the story is, if you go LLC go ahead and set up a calendar reminder of dates that items are due to avoid additional charges. I also have to file my business taxes quarterly which is a PITA. It's an easy task overall, but I wish it was once a year vs. four times.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Great outline. Just keep in mind that if you go the LLC route that if anything happens to the LLC it will impact the license. For example: the state that I am in requires an annual report be filed each year which is $138, it's only $125 to create the LLC. But if you miss the May 1st deadline then you're fined $400 on top of the $125 to remain active. If you miss the deadline then you get to decide if it's worth parting with $400 for nothing or starting over and saving a few bucks...Moral of the story is, if you go LLC go ahead and set up a calendar reminder of dates that items are due to avoid additional charges. I also have to file my business taxes quarterly which is a PITA. It's an easy task overall, but I wish it was once a year vs. four times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely good advice.  The state of Iowa (where I'm operating) requires LLC reports every odd numbered year by April 1.  They are supposed to mail you a reminder, but you never know.  The report filing fee is $30 on-line. The reports are very simple, but yeah, if you miss it, they can kill your LLC.

BTW- had my interview about 10 days ago.  Everything is good to go.  Should have license in hand the first half of July.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top