Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2016 6:50:40 PM EDT
Would you be ok with an FFL missing a delivery because he was out to lunch and FedEx didn't deliver?

Long story, short. Purchased a rifle over a week ago, been waiting patiently for delivery. Rifle was set to be delivered today when I got an exception notice from FedEx saying "Customer Not Available or Business Closed...Delivery will be re-attempted the next business day."

Contacted said FFL and he said he was out to lunch and not to worry "UPS and FedEx swing through here multiple times a day."

Waited a couple hours and then contacted FedEx and they said they would not be returning to that area again, and if I had contacted them sooner they would have been able to reattempt delivery. Kinda upset with the FFL for not doing his part. I know that the gun SHOULD be delivered tomorrow, but I took a half day at work so I could take delivery and go shoot. And I cant tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
that would be the last transfer fee that FFL would see from me.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That is pretty bad, all the small time FFL guys usually know Fed Ex Shows up at X time, and USPS shows up at Y time...the larger ones have more than 1 employee.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Delivery companies usually have a timeframe, so if fedex showed up irregularly, I wouldn't hold it against him.  Or do you not go out to lunch, or how about when sig req comes to your house and you're at work?  Do you take the day off and wait for that package?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't be happy about it but a mans gotta eat.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm assuming it was a small time FFL, just 1 dude, and you're saving money going through him versus whatever gigantor gun shop is around you.  No I would not be upset; a man has to eat from time to time.  I also try to exercise some patience as I know delivery times can vary greatly depending on several factors.  I don't expect an FFL to be waiting on his front porch every time little old me has something that may arrive that day.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
1 man operation and I would be ok with it.
Big store or local shop would be unacceptable.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be upset that I missed a range day.  Nothing more than that. Things happen and delivery times change.  When our UPS guy comes early, we miss our deliveries sometimes.  4:30-5:30 are the normal times.  We plan around that.

FedEx is a crap shoot.  I think there are three different companies that do their deliveries around here.  Freight, standard, and express.  Good luck planning for that!

CHRIS

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Id be pissed

youhadonejob.jpeg
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a small time Ffl, ups usually comes after 430 but never can tell.  FedEx on the other hand has shown up at my house at 8 am and as late as 7 pm.  Sometimes stuff comes up and you have to leave...just my 02 cents....I try to always be available for my customers as I'm trying to build a base, but......shit happens!
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like OP screwed up by making plans without having it in hand.

A whole week you say?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be fine with it as long as no prior arrangement was made with the dealer to be present on that particular day for delivery and subsequent transfer.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Patience is a virtue...

Sucks you don't get to go shooting though. Don't really think I'd be too upset though. Fedex is all over the place with deliveries. Just didn't work out the best for you this time. I will say though, don't make plans based on the delivery service due time! Kinda like the cable guy...
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you send the FedEx delivery notification email to your FFL and follow up with a phone call so that he knew it was coming today?

I'll bet you didn't.

What if he was out picking up parts or stocking up on welding supplies or picking up a new compressor for his service shop. Would you be as whiney then?

You're probably a Millennial. Pump the damn brakes for chrissake. This isn't AMAZON PRIME.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would you be ok with an FFL missing a delivery because he was out to lunch and FedEx didn't deliver?

Long story, short. Purchased a rifle over a week ago, been waiting patiently for delivery. Rifle was set to be delivered today when I got an exception notice from FedEx saying "Customer Not Available or Business Closed...Delivery will be re-attempted the next business day."

Contacted said FFL and he said he was out to lunch and not to worry "UPS and FedEx swing through here multiple times a day."

Waited a couple hours and then contacted FedEx and they said they would not be returning to that area again, and if I had contacted them sooner they would have been able to reattempt delivery. Kinda upset with the FFL for not doing his part. I know that the gun SHOULD be delivered tomorrow, but I took a half day at work so I could take delivery and go shoot. And I cant tomorrow.
View Quote

Depends.

You had tracking info, did FFL have tracking info? Did he know it would be sig required? If he had no knowledge package was coming, cannot see any fault on his part.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1 man operation and I would be ok with it.
Big store or local shop would be unacceptable.
View Quote

Exactly.  Everyone gets to eat. Its a law.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably a new guy or a fill in running the route and showed up at a different time.  Chill the hell out. Sounds like you got no patience.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kinda upset with the FFL for not doing his part. I know that the gun SHOULD be delivered tomorrow, but I took a half day at work so I could take delivery and go shoot. And I cant tomorrow.
View Quote

So you were expecting to get gun from FFL same day too? Did you clear that with FFL beforehand? Very few places process deliveries and do 4473s same day. Some do, but it takes extra effort.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#18]
To those of you who wrote thought out responses, thanks. I have not personally complained to the FFL nor do I plan to do so. I just wanted y'all's input.

To this internet crusader...

Did you send the FedEx delivery notification email to your FFL and follow up with a phone call so that he knew it was coming today?

I'll bet you didn't.
View Quote

You would have lost that bet. You know what they say about assumptions.

What if he was out picking up parts or stocking up on welding supplies or picking up a new compressor for his service shop
View Quote

He wasn't but I understand a man's gotta eat. Again assumptions or reading comprehension. Not quite sure.

You're probably a Millennial.
View Quote

You're an ass. In my thirties old man. You've got the whole "get off my lawn" routine down pat. I bet you're fun at parties. I will sleep well at night knowing there are folks like you protecting the Internet. Get bent grandpa.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#19]
My UPS comes between 1PM and 6PM, I'm on a weird route and have 3 regulars who get stuck with it. I work second shift and there are many times I don't get the delivery on the first day. I tell my customers that generally it is pick on the weekends only during the morning before they ship to me. This is part time/fun work for me so I'm not worried if someone won't use me.

If you made arrangements with him to pick up on same day I get it and shame on him. If you took off the day w/o confirming with him that pick up was ok on that day then to bad so sad.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Shit happens.

I had my first Accuracy International shipped to a new dealer and it happened to ship a day late and the dealer had to leave for 5 days.

I was disappointed but I survived.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm assuming it was a small time FFL, just 1 dude, and you're saving money going through him versus whatever gigantor gun shop is around you.  No I would not be upset; a man has to eat from time to time.  I also try to exercise some patience as I know delivery times can vary greatly depending on several factors.  I don't expect an FFL to be waiting on his front porch every time little old me has something that may arrive that day.
View Quote

This... plus, if it bothers you, get a new FFL... i appreciate the savings and knowledge i get from mine and am never in a hurry when using him... if i need it NOW, i can pay the mark-up and tax at a local shop
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to get frustrated by things like this.  Now I have teenagers.  Compared to that - this shit is easy.  

ETA - that isn't to say I don't get excited when I have stuff on the way and track the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Depends.

You had tracking info, did FFL have tracking info? Did he know it would be sig required? If he had no knowledge package was coming, cannot see any fault on his part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends.

This, I always call my FFL and let them know of the delivery date.  Edit.. I see now that you did advise him of delivery.  I guess I would be bummed but not totally upset with them, as we know... shit happens.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Im sure it wasn't intentional, get your panties out of a bunch and get it tomorrow. Or you know you could always buy it from your local ffl and not worry about shipping, but hey you saved $20 bucks. Now you want everything from the guy and all he sees is a transfer fee, get over it
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The gun ain't "in" until your FFL calls to tell you it's "in". Nothing more aggravating than the transferee who continually hits refresh on UPS/FedEx tracking to let me know the hourly progress of their package through the UPS/FedEx system.
I'll know its arrived when I'm holding it in my hands.

Long story, short. Purchased a rifle over a week ago, been waiting patiently for delivery.
You pay for Ground, you should expect slow delivery. It's not your dealers fault that the the seller shipped it Ground.

Rifle was set to be delivered today when I got an exception notice from FedEx saying "Customer Not Available or Business Closed...Delivery will be re-attempted the next business day."

For fucks sake. Do you really think your dealer doesn't eat? Doesn't take time to run an errand? How about taking a dump? Should he be perched on the porch in anticipation of the FedEx driver showing up?

Waited a couple hours and then contacted FedEx and they said they would not be returning to that area again, and if I had contacted them sooner they would have been able to reattempt delivery.
Horseshit. FedEx will do three delivery attempts.......and more if the recipient request it.

Kinda upset with the FFL for not doing his part.
Really?

I know that the gun SHOULD be delivered tomorrow, but I took a half day at work so I could take delivery and go shoot.
What makes you think your dealer was going to transfer the gun to you the same day?
You know what they say about assumptions don't you?

And I cant tomorrow.
Your mistake.
View Quote

OP is the reason some dealers refuse to do transfers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Seriously?
You'll get the rifle.
I hate the guys who hover over their package tracking and call the instant it gets delivered or get upset when I am not there
The FFL hasn't missed more than a single delivery attempt?
It hasn't been shipped back to the sender.
Relax.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That is pretty bad, all the small time FFL guys usually know Fed Ex Shows up at X time, and USPS shows up at Y time...the larger ones have more than 1 employee.
View Quote

I had to laugh at this...UPS and Fed Ex hardly ever show up at the same time every time. Just when I think I have the schedule figured out then a new guy runs the route. I had four different UPS drivers during the holidays. One of them would come around 11AM, one guy about 4:30 PM, and one driver would call our store and tell us he hoped he made it before 6PM. We told that guy if he couldn't make it by 6PM today how could he make it by 6PM tomorow.

One driver wanted to come before we opened so she thought it was OK to stop by my house! It's a small town so she knew where we live because she delivers personal packages to our estate residence (GD humor). We politely explained to her that was not acceptable, especially since we get 15-20 packages a day during the holidays.

Back to the original question: if you want to use a small time FFL then you'll have to accept both the pros (probably cheaper) as well as the cons (probably less professional).
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Actually, I'm having a couple pistols show up at my ffl tomorrow.  If he's not there to receive them, oh well.  In fact, I wait for him to call me and tell me to come get them.  Might be tomorrow, might be Sunday.   It's not like something bad will happen if I don't get them immediately.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gun ain't "in" until your FFL calls to tell you it's "in". Nothing more aggravating than the transferee who continually hits refresh on UPS/FedEx tracking to let me know the hourly progress of their package through the UPS/FedEx system.

Long story, short. Purchased a rifle over a week ago, been waiting patiently for delivery.
You pay for Ground, you should expect slow delivery. It's not your dealers fault that the the seller shipped it Ground.

Rifle was set to be delivered today when I got an exception notice from FedEx saying "Customer Not Available or Business Closed...Delivery will be re-attempted the next business day."

For fucks sake. Do you really think your dealer doesn't eat? Doesn't take time to run an errand? How about taking a dump? Should he be perched on the porch in anticipation of the FedEx driver showing up?

Waited a couple hours and then contacted FedEx and they said they would not be returning to that area again, and if I had contacted them sooner they would have been able to reattempt delivery.
Horseshit. FedEx will do three delivery attempts.......and more if the recipient request it.

Really?

I know that the gun SHOULD be delivered tomorrow, but I took a half day at work so I could take delivery and go shoot.
What makes you think your dealer was going to transfer the gun to you the same day?

And I cant tomorrow.
Your mistake.

The best post!

OP rants then tells people to "get bent" when they comment!  

You have some cheese with that whine OP?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I had to laugh at this...UPS and Fed Ex hardly ever show up at the same time every time. Just when I think I have the schedule figured out then a new guy runs the route. I had four different UPS drivers during the holidays. One of them would come around 11AM, one guy about 4:30 PM, and one driver would call our store and tell us he hoped he made it before 6PM. We told that guy if he couldn't make it by 6PM today how could he make it by 6PM tomorow.
View Quote

Every time I miss the UPS guy and have to do a late pick up at their delivery hub, I think about the guys here who post that doing a  transfer only involves "15 minutes of work for the FFL"
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]
You took days off and made range plans based on a delivery time? That sounds very silly to me. Depending on the size of shipments to your ffl, he might need a minute to get stuff processed into his logs and into customer hands, especially if he's working the counter solo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

And I cant tomorrow.
Your mistake.

People like this is why I quit doing transfers.  Ive had 2 people threaten to sue me because I was booked up for the day and wasnt able to transfer the gun the DAY it hit my door.  Every customer knew before doing business with me that I work by appointment only and first come first serve.  Those guns were sent back where they came from and the customers had to go through the whole process again with a different dealer.

This is not a life or death situation.  Its a toy.  You should have had your local dealer order it for you if it was that big of a deal to you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#35]
On your comment about FedEx doing 3 delivery attempts, the OP's not wrong. His FFL told him FedEx comes by multiple times a day. That's not generally true. You get one shot that day, and if you miss it, FedEx will come back the next day and try again, and then the day after that.

When FedEx told him they weren't coming back to the area, that was on that day. He was given this info by the FFL and it's not true.

That said, OP can't take time off of work and then be pissed when the FFL wasn't there if he didn't have something arranged ahead of time with the guy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On your comment about FedEx doing 3 delivery attempts, the OP's not wrong. His FFL told him FedEx comes by multiple times a day. That's not generally true. You get one shot that day, and if you miss it, FedEx will come back the next day and try again, and then the day after that
View Quote

My place of business got two deliveries a day morning and afternoon. Not the norm but some places it does happen.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#37]
From the point of view of an FFL:

First off, wish I had the ability to take a lunch. Secondly, shipping companies are never consistent. I've recieved deliveries at 10am, and have had deliveries at 5PM. One time I even had them come way before we opened, and missed that delivery. Often times there are 5+ different deliveries a day(UPS, USPS, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Express), with no consistency from day to day.

My curiosity is why did you choose what seems to be a one man operation for an FFL Transfer as opposed to using a local gun store that is open all day, and then complain that it isn't convenient for your schedule. While sometime LGS have a slight premium over home based guys, they do have set hours and for the most part won't miss a delivery.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My curiosity is why did you choose what seems to be a one man operation for an FFL Transfer as opposed to using a local gun store that is open all day, and then complain that it isn't convenient for your schedule. While sometime LGS have a slight premium over home based guys, they do have set hours and for the most part won't miss a delivery.
View Quote

My guess is the same reason he wont have the tabletop FFL actually order the gun for him from the FFLs distributors, let alone the brick and mortar gun store with all of it's mark-ups.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Shit happens.

I had my first Accuracy International shipped to a new dealer and it happened to ship a day late and the dealer had to leave for 5 days.

I was disappointed but I survived.
View Quote

This, had an item deliver late and he had to leave for the Christmas holiday for a few weeks, Oh well. It happens. Disappointed but I'm not upset.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder how pissed the OP would be if the dealer received the package but didn't have it logged in and available for pick up until the next day. Legally, the requirement is that an FFL log a disposition by the end of the NEXT business day. There is no law that says the gun has to be available the minute it arrives . . . or even the same day.

I'm virtually a one-man shop (I have one part-time employee) and I try my bestest to be there for customers and deliveries. But shit happens. Hell, I'll even hang a sign on the door for five minutes while I take my dog out back to take a dump. For that matter, I've been known to hang a sign and lock the door so I could take a dump. Like I say, shit happens.

Anyway, I try my best to be there. I also try to make getting guns logged and the customer called a priority. I'm a gun guy, too, and I know what it's like to wait for a new toy. I get it. I really do. But you know what? If it turns out that I missed a delivery or was so busy that I couldn't log a gun until the next day I expect the customer to deal with it. If the customer is a dick about the situation I'm going to politely suggest he find a different FFL to do his transfers in the future.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One driver wanted to come before we opened so she thought it was OK to stop by my house! It's a small town so she knew where we live because she delivers personal packages to our estate residence (GD humor). We politely explained to her that was not acceptable, especially since we get 15-20 packages a day during the holidays.

Back to the original question: if you want to use a small time FFL then you'll have to accept both the pros (probably cheaper) as well as the cons (probably less professional).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea when Fed Ex shows up.  UPS is usually between 10:30am-2:30pm, unless it is a particular driver who evidently runs the route backwards and then it has been as late as 4:30pm.
I run my shop by myself and I don't even go to the bathroom until USPS & UPS have delivered.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

And I cant tomorrow.
Your mistake.

As a dealer, I agree with all of this.  M-F there is only one of us in the store, so it's pretty easy to miss a shipment.  Little things like: bank drops, crapping, eating, WHATEVER.  If someone is sweating us about some shit, we just tell them the truth, "sorry, i was dropping a deuce when he showed up" and they're usually pretty understanding.  That said, YO.  CUT ME SOME SLACK.  YOU'RE NOT MY ONLY CUSTOMER AND RESPONSIBILITY.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I would show a little grace and chill.  I'm as anxious as everyone else with incoming packages, but no one is perfect.  Believe it or not, your rifle is not this guy's #1 priority in life.  He could have also been on the crapper, would you fault him for that?  Shipping companies are notoriously hard to deal with and unreliable.  The FFL guy I use here actually changed locations and I didn't realize it.  He used to operate right out of his house.  So when I showed up to his house and knocked on his door and some lady answered, I was totally confused.  His website still said it was at the house.  Turns out that that was an old website which he could not get the host to remove, and his newest website had the correct info.  So I had to go the next day to the correct location.  No big deal, now I know.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#44]
OPi
This is me when I read your post
It's lunch
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I run my shop by myself and I don't even go to the bathroom until USPS & UPS have delivered.
View Quote

We're home-based.  We have had deliveries as early as 0830 and as late as 2130 during the holiday shopping season.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Several years ago my brother ordered a DSA Para... PAID THE DEALER IN FULL for the rifle. It took almost a damn year for the order to process. I just so happened to call DSA (actually I had been calling off and on) and they said the rifle would be shipping in a few days and to call back and they would give me shipping info...

On the day it was scheduled to arrive, I called the gun shop and the employee said the UPS guy had no rifle... I thought that was odd. The next day, called the shop, same response... no rifle. I called DSA who said the rifle had been refused TWICE and on strike three it would be returned... finally on day three the dealer accepted shipping after still denying UPS ever tried to deliver two times prior. I told the employee what DSA said and he just put on an act...

Months later, while in the shop, I actually watched the UPS guy get told the owner was not in and the gun being delivered COD could not be paid for, turns out, ONLY the owner can make the payment, I guess he does not trust the employee... come to find out, the DSA was sent COD and on the first two delivery days the owner was not there... thus the delivery refusal. What BS, just be honest... yes, the rifle was here but the owner was out and we could not pay... why lie?

I never went back...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Several years ago my brother ordered a DSA Para... PAID THE DEALER IN FULL for the rifle. It took almost a damn year for the order to process. I just so happened to call DSA (actually I had been calling off and on) and they said the rifle would be shipping in a few days and to call back and they would give me shipping info...

On the day it was scheduled to arrive, I called the gun shop and the employee said the UPS guy had no rifle... I thought that was odd. The next day, called the shop, same response... no rifle. I called DSA who said the rifle had been refused TWICE and on strike three it would be returned... finally on day three the dealer accepted shipping after still denying UPS ever tried to deliver two times prior. I told the employee what DSA said and he just put on an act...

Months later, while in the shop, I actually watched the UPS guy get told the owner was not in and the gun being delivered COD could not be paid for, turns out, ONLY the owner can make the payment, I guess he does not trust the employee... come to find out, the DSA was sent COD and on the first two delivery days the owner was not there... thus the delivery refusal. What BS, just be honest... yes, the rifle was here but the owner was out and we could not pay... why lie?

I never went back...
View Quote

At my old location for a while I had a USPS delivery guy who wouldn't try to deliver any box.
Even when I was home he'd throw a "delivery was attempted, come get the box at the office" card in the box.
Which was miles away because I was on the end of that post offices delivery route
I've chased more packages at hubs over the years for customers than I can count
So much for people who complain that FFLs only empty a box and make a log entry to earn the transfer fee
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So much for people who complain that FFLs only empty a box and make a log entry to earn the transfer fee
View Quote

this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top