Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2016 11:47:17 PM EDT
Anyone else deal with foreign individuals purchasing guns? I have ran into some issues where some non-immigrants can now obtain CCW permits.

How often have you guys ran into this where you need use a USCIS, A#, or I-94?

Our state issued CCW is a NICS exemption and we don't want to see a FFL get jammed up for transferring a gun without looking for the other docs, by only using the CCW for ID.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone else deal with foreign individuals purchasing guns? At least two a week.
I have ran into some issues where some non-immigrants can now obtain CCW permits.
Shouldn't be an "issue" as they still have to provide the same documents as nonimmigrants who do not have a CCW permit.

How often have you guys ran into this where you need use a USCIS, A#, or I-94?
Never, since the buyer writes that info in and I don't need to see the visa, green card or anything else.

Our state issued CCW is a NICS exemption and we don't want to see a FFL get jammed up for transferring a gun without looking for the other docs, by only using the CCW for ID.
There is no requirement for the licensee to see the green card  for permanent residents or a nonimmigrant aliens visa.
You DO NEED to see their hunting license.

Read the instructions in the 4473.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
So, you use their hunting license as proof of residency to purchase the firearm?

Or do you look for other docs? Do you not ask for docs to show they are here legally, or are you solely relying upon them documenting it?

Here is the concern- some countries have a 90 day or a 180 day visa free admission. So, they only need their passport. Are you just reviewing their proof of lawful status or relying solely upon them reading the forms?

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, you use their hunting license as proof of residency to purchase the firearm?

Or do you look for other docs? Do you not ask for docs to show they are here legally, or are you solely relying upon them documenting it?

Here is the concern- some countries have a 90 day or a 180 day visa free admission. So, they only need their passport. Are you just reviewing their proof of lawful status or relying solely upon them reading the forms?

View Quote

Read the Instructions on 4473, seriously. it outlines what is needed for a NIA.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you a licensed dealer?
If so, you know that a government issued photo ID is required. If that ID doesn't show the buyers current residence address, then the buyer must provide alternate documentation that DOES show their name and current address.

A hunting license may serve as that alternate documentation.........but that isn't it's purpose when a nonimmigrant alien is purchasing a firearm. The hunting license serves as an exemption to the NIA prohibition on receiving a firearm from a licensed dealer.

Or do you look for other docs?
Why? What other documents do you think may be needed beyond what is mentioned in the instructions?
This ain't rocket science.

Do you not ask for docs to show they are here legally, or are you solely relying upon them documenting it?
There is no requirement for the dealer to verify the immigration status of a buyer. When the buyer (just like everyone else) signs the 4473, they certify that their answers are true, correct and complete.

Here is the concern- some countries have a 90 day or a 180 day visa free admission.
WTF cares? That has nothing to do with anything.

So, they only need their passport. Are you just reviewing their proof of lawful status or relying solely upon them reading the forms?
You aren't reviewing anything.
The buyer bears responsibility for how he completes the 4473.

View Quote

Again,
Read the instructions in the 4473.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Here is the concern- some countries have a 90 day or a 180 day visa free admission.

View Quote

It has a lot to do with everything, since they are no longer legally able to possess firearms, but the dealer would have no idea. Once their visa or non-visa immigrant time frame is passed, they are prohibited. This includes possession of any firearms they brought with them. If they were flagged in NCIC, the CCW exempts the NICS process here so a seller/dealer would never know.

The 4473 is fine, but the FBI provided a more confusing letter and not everyone needs a hunting license. That is only for those with a visa. Quite a few countries do not have visa requirements.

The other docs come from CBP or an I-94. As usual, the FBI doesn't always talk to the ATF. The FBI has a flow chart for dealing with non-citizens. When you call in a NICS check on a non-citizen, do you provide the A#, AR#, or USCIS#?

I am trying to find a way to accommodate non-citizens in the CCW process, but we are running into some minor problems due to our CCW NICS exemption. Because of that, there is no verification done for eligibility. There is no background ran, so I was curious if the FFL would or if they ever review any documents to show they are here legally. The FBI says the should, but I was curious how the actual practice is done, since you guys are regulated by the ATF.

Seeing how FFLs are targeted at times, I don't want to see any of them get into a jackpot. If you received a non-immigrant with a CCW, would you handle it any differently if you knew they were a  non-resident and it said so on the CCW?

I am trying to find an easy solution to this issue. There is a small group pushing each state to comply with this area. I don't want to see a FFL or a citizen get hung in the process, since these people may have a very limited timeframe to lawfully possess/purchase weapons.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It has a lot to do with everything, since they are no longer legally able to possess firearms, but the dealer would have no idea.
View Quote

Just like you you have no idea  if a person is a felon, renounced citizenship, under indictment or any of the other DQ'ers. So they fill out the form, you check it, and if you have no reason to believe they are lying, you are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It has a lot to do with everything, since they are no longer legally able to possess firearms, but the dealer would have no idea.
Again, WTF cares? The dealer has no way to verify. The burden is on the buyer to answer lawfully.

Once their visa or non-visa immigrant time frame is passed, they are prohibited. This includes possession of any firearms they brought with them. If they were flagged in NCIC, the CCW exempts the NICS process here so a seller/dealer would never know.
Again........NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

The 4473 is fine, but the FBI provided a more confusing letter and not everyone needs a hunting license. That is only for those with a visa. Quite a few countries do not have visa requirements.
For fucks sake....have you read the damn instructions yet?
If you had you would know who needs to provide a hunting license.
If the buyer has a permit that exempts them from the FBI NICS check..........then why the fuck are you still reading "confusing letters" from the FBI?

The other docs come from CBP or an I-94. As usual, the FBI doesn't always talk to the ATF.
Irrelevant. I'll repeat...IRRELEVENT.
If your nonimmigrant buyer has a NICS exempt permit and a hunting license..........WHY ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT THE FBI NICS?

The FBI has a flow chart for dealing with non-citizens.
Again.......WHO CARES!!!!!
YOU AREN"T GOING TO BE CALLING THE FBI FOR A NICS CHECK!.....the buyer with a permit is  EXEMPT!

When you call in a NICS check on a non-citizen, do you provide the A#, AR#, or USCIS#?
Yes, FBI NICS will ask you for the information the buyer provided on Question 12 & Question 15.

I am trying to find a way to accommodate non-citizens in the CCW process, but we are running into some minor problems due to our CCW NICS exemption.
The only problem is your notion that the dealer is required to verify immigration status.

Because of that, there is no verification done for eligibility. There is no background ran, so I was curious if the FFL would or if they ever review any documents to show they are here legally.
Not within the dealers authority or ability.

The FBI says the should, but I was curious how the actual practice is done, since you guys are regulated by the ATF.
Again........are you a dealer?

Seeing how FFLs are targeted at times, I don't want to see any of them get into a jackpot.
As long as the dealer reads the effing instructions he will be fine.

If you received a non-immigrant with a CCW, would you handle it any differently if you knew they were a  non-resident and it said so on the CCW?
Well.........since I've read the fucking instructions I know how to process the transfer. There is no "handle it any differently"...........you handle it the way ATF says to handle it.

I am trying to find an easy solution to this issue. There is a small group pushing each state to comply with this area.
The easy solution is for you, who is not a licensed dealer, to BUTT OUT. The dealer who is involved in the transfer to a nonimmigrant alien is the one who needs to educate himself.

And who is the "small group" you refer to?

I don't want to see a FFL or a citizen get hung in the process, since these people may have a very limited timeframe to lawfully possess/purchase weapons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, WTF cares? The dealer has no way to verify. The burden is on the buyer to answer lawfully.

Once their visa or non-visa immigrant time frame is passed, they are prohibited. This includes possession of any firearms they brought with them. If they were flagged in NCIC, the CCW exempts the NICS process here so a seller/dealer would never know.
Again........NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

For fucks sake....have you read the damn instructions yet?
If you had you would know who needs to provide a hunting license.
If the buyer has a permit that exempts them from the FBI NICS check..........then why the fuck are you still reading "confusing letters" from the FBI?

The other docs come from CBP or an I-94. As usual, the FBI doesn't always talk to the ATF.
Irrelevant. I'll repeat...IRRELEVENT.
If your nonimmigrant buyer has a NICS exempt permit and a hunting license..........WHY ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT THE FBI NICS?

The FBI has a flow chart for dealing with non-citizens.
Again.......WHO CARES!!!!!
YOU AREN"T GOING TO BE CALLING THE FBI FOR A NICS CHECK!.....the buyer with a permit is  EXEMPT!

When you call in a NICS check on a non-citizen, do you provide the A#, AR#, or USCIS#?
Yes, FBI NICS will ask you for the information the buyer provided on Question 12 & Question 15.

I am trying to find a way to accommodate non-citizens in the CCW process, but we are running into some minor problems due to our CCW NICS exemption.
The only problem is your notion that the dealer is required to verify immigration status.

Because of that, there is no verification done for eligibility. There is no background ran, so I was curious if the FFL would or if they ever review any documents to show they are here legally.
Not within the dealers authority or ability.

The FBI says the should, but I was curious how the actual practice is done, since you guys are regulated by the ATF.
Again........are you a dealer?

Seeing how FFLs are targeted at times, I don't want to see any of them get into a jackpot.
As long as the dealer reads the effing instructions he will be fine.

If you received a non-immigrant with a CCW, would you handle it any differently if you knew they were a  non-resident and it said so on the CCW?
Well.........since I've read the fucking instructions I know how to process the transfer. There is no "handle it any differently"...........you handle it the way ATF says to handle it.

I am trying to find an easy solution to this issue. There is a small group pushing each state to comply with this area.
The easy solution is for you, who is not a licensed dealer, to BUTT OUT. The dealer who is involved in the transfer to a nonimmigrant alien is the one who needs to educate himself.

And who is the "small group" you refer to?

I don't want to see a FFL or a citizen get hung in the process, since these people may have a very limited timeframe to lawfully possess/purchase weapons.

Good grief.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
You can say good grief, but I am trying to address the issuance of permits. Since the permit the state is issuing will exempt NICS and avoid these simple checks, they wanted each of these areas looked at.

Guess asking questions about trying to make sure people are complying with the law was too much. Sorry for offending you.

GD would have had better answers.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can say good grief, but I am trying to address the issuance of permits.
Then you need to speak to the agency in your state that issues permits.

Since the permit the state is issuing will exempt NICS and avoid these simple checks, they wanted each of these areas looked at.
Again...........who is "they"?

Guess asking questions about trying to make sure people are complying with the law was too much. Sorry for offending you.
You didn't offend anyone. Frustrate yes.
Understand that you refusing to read the 4473 instructions to have even a basic understanding of what is required makes answering your questions difficult. Add that to your not understanding how the Brady law/FBI NICS works plus not understanding how the state permit may exempt the buyer from the NICS check equals one thread.

GD would have had better answers.
Then try there.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
If it pleases you/FFL then call it in. I94/chl/Ltc/permit/hunting license.

Some places I've been to have call in policy's for aliens. Roughly a 100% chance it will come back as delayed. A reason why I have a chl. The regular place I go to know me by first name basis and see my family regularly. All of my family's chl's were taken there.

Edit:
It's bloody frustrating when i get delayed. Especially when I'm picking up something on my day off or I'm in a rush.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can say good grief, but I am trying to address the issuance of permits.
Then you need to speak to the agency in your state that issues permits.

Umm.... We issue permits and that is what I am trying to figure out

The problem is no one here has ever addressed the DOJ's redirection of the non-immigrants and weapon possession. So, I am trying to figure it out. Someone has to pave the way!

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The problem is
View Quote

No, the problem is, your story does not add up.

If a state issues a NICS exempt CCW permit to someone that is a NIA, than that is a violation of Federal law.

And issuing permits to NIAs on a 90 day visa, what state does that?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
How does the story not add up?

The state doesn't provide a NICS exemption. The ATF determines what state's permits allow for a NICS exemption.

Since there is no restriction on citizenship for our state permits, we are going to issue them to those that are eligible.

What I was looking at is a clause, on the permit, that let's the FFL know the person may need a NICS check completed. That is the issue I was hoping for some help on. Something to let the FFL know to ask for some additional documentation, to show the NICS exemption is valid or, if they don't provide it, to have a NICS done.

It is complex and I don't want to see a FFL get screwed or a private party get screwed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
what state?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How does the story not add up?
You've been asked several times what state, whether you are a dealer and what "group" is pushing this issue..........so far you've avoided answering those questions.

The state doesn't provide a NICS exemption. The ATF determines what state's permits allow for a NICS exemption.
WE KNOW THAT.......RenegadeX and I are licensed dealers.

Since there is no restriction on citizenship for our state permits, we are going to issue them to those that are eligible.
Again with the "we"? Are you a state employee?

What I was looking at is a clause, on the permit, that let's the FFL know the person may need a NICS check completed.
How many times must it be said that a NICS exempt permit means NO EFFING NICS CHECK?

That is the issue I was hoping for some help on. Something to let the FFL know to ask for some additional documentation, to show the NICS exemption is valid or, if they don't provide it, to have a NICS done.
For fucks sake. Read the fucking instructions.

It is complex
No, it isn't.
and I don't want to see a FFL get screwed or a private party get screwed.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top