Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2015 11:16:16 PM EDT
My buddy keeps suggesting I get an FFL and do home based transfers with an eventual goal of an SOT and $50 suppressor transfers.

No disrespect to you guys that do it for a living but it sounds like hell to try to survive in this industry.

I have a stable career in sales and this endeavor won't be paying my bills or supporting my family. I'm solely interested in $500 in spending cash every month.

I know I need to check zoning as step one. Step two is a business plan - even for a side gig. I have a BA in Business Admin so I've got the basics on marketing, basic accounting, taxes and ins., etc.

I would be appointment only nights and weekends. My day job is in the same strip mall as a UPS store so I'd have everything delivered there.

My model would be No-nonsense $25 Transfers. I'm not a former SEAL or industry insider. Nobody cares what I think, the customer just wants their toy in a timely manner.

Am I crazy?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Google Ares Armor.  What I say will hold no weight to those coming up behind me, but there's no way I'd subject my home to that sort of oversight.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, speaking from experience, there are many much better, easier, safer, etc. ways to make $500/mo.  
Are you single or do you have a family?  At least 7+ transfers a week, with guys showing up at dinner time or in the evening may not make you popular with the other folks in the house, or will cut into your weekend plans.
Taking deliveries can also be a problem if you're not at your main location all the time.  Many dealers or individuals won't ship to an address if it's not listed on your FFL, and many require a signature, so you have to be home.

However - if you want to do it because it sounds interesting / fun / etc. then jump right in and go for it.  Lots of us have, and don't regret it.  But at low volume like you plan, I would think of it more like a hobby.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It'll take you quite a while to build up enough of a clientele  to get to $500 a month at $25/ transfer
Even if you put yourself on all of the normal FFL search engine sites right away.
There is more competition out there than you realize
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Another thing to consider is possible issues with your homeowners insurance when starting a commercial venture in your home.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, speaking from experience, there are many much better, easier, safer, etc. ways to make $500/mo.  
Are you single or do you have a family?  At least 7+ transfers a week, with guys showing up at dinner time or in the evening may not make you popular with the other folks in the house, or will cut into your weekend plans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I appreciate the response.
I'm married with two toddlers and my wife is a SAHM.

Quoted:
Another thing to consider is possible issues with your homeowners insurance when starting a commercial venture in your home.

Insurance is my career so I'm familiar with the ins and outs. Valid point though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Drive for Uber...that would be much easier!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My day job is in the same strip mall as a UPS store so I'd have everything delivered there.
View Quote

Most distributors will only ship FFL required items to the premise address, and not ship to the mailing address.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Most distributors will only ship FFL required items to the premise address, and not ship to the mailing address.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My day job is in the same strip mall as a UPS store so I'd have everything delivered there.

This seems counter to what Dogtown Tom has beed saying. He says he uses the UPS store exclusively for arriving shipments...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This seems counter to what Dogtown Tom has beed saying. He says he uses the UPS store exclusively for arriving shipments...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth asking him... maybe he picked up a PO Box there and had it added to his FFL?  There are two addresses listed on the FFL itself (premises address, and mailing address) and they can be different.  I do often see guys on some of the other FFL forms who do something similar complaining when a gun is shipped to the "wrong" address though, FWIW.  I'm sure you could figure something out if you're committed to making it happen.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's distributors.  The largest online retailers - Bud's, CTD, GAG, AIM, Classic Arms, etc. - will ship to the address indicated by the FFL.  They're not stupid, they make transfers easy, and they want happy customers.  OTOH there are a few <censored> FFL's who only ship to the premises, which isn't going to be a big deal if the wife is home to sign for the package.

OP given your young family your biggest concern will be security.  While 99.999% of our customers are great, we've gotten a few over the years who just gave us a bad vibe.

Another issue will be compliance inspections.  We're home-based also, strictly services and transfers so we don't have much inventory at any one time.  Our last audit still took a full week and there's no advance warning, the IOI simply knocks on the door when it's your turn, so make sure your job/boss permits you to be gone for a week at a time with no notice.

Finally, the online retailers usually send the tracking number to the buyer, and it's not unusual for one to show up minutes after the package shows delivered, wanting his gun RFN thankyouverymuch!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's distributors.  The largest online retailers - Bud's, CTD, GAG, AIM, Classic Arms, etc. - will ship to the address indicated by the FFL.  They're not stupid, they make transfers easy, and they want happy customers.  OTOH there are a few <censored> FFL's who only ship to the premises, which isn't going to be a big deal if the wife is home to sign for the package.

OP given your young family your biggest concern will be security.  While 99.999% of our customers are great, we've gotten a few over the years who just gave us a bad vibe.

Another issue will be compliance inspections.  We're home-based also, strictly services and transfers so we don't have much inventory at any one time.  Our last audit still took a full week and there's no advance warning, the IOI simply knocks on the door when it's your turn, so make sure your job/boss permits you to be gone for a week at a time with no notice.

Finally, the online retailers usually send the tracking number to the buyer, and it's not unusual for one to show up minutes after the package shows delivered, wanting his gun RFN thankyouverymuch!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to hear more about the ins and outs of this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Compliance visits are just part of the deal.  ATF can inspect your business (your house and maybe but rarely your alternate location) once a year (without a warrant).  They don't always do it every year, and sometimes they call in advance, sometimes not.
You have to be on top of your paperwork and make 100% sure that everything is perfect, and you know exactly where any firearms and records are.  There are also regulations about having certain signs and paperwork posted.  
Personal firearms should be kept separately (a separate safe) or at minimum need to be tagged/labeled as personal firearms.

There are a couple guys who have posted in other forums who have been lax with the paperwork and ATF requirements that go along with being an FFL, and they have ended up in pretty bad shape.

It's not hard, but it is a PITA.  There are some guys who panic like they always do about ATF kicking down the door and shooting your dog, but really it's not a conspiracy, it's just one of those normal parts of the job.
https://www.atf.gov/publications/factsheets/factsheet-ffl-compliance.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Compliance visits are just part of the deal.  ATF can inspect your business (your house and maybe but rarely your alternate location) once a year (without a warrant).  They don't always do it every year, and sometimes they call in advance, sometimes not.
You have to be on top of your paperwork and make 100% sure that everything is perfect, and you know exactly where any firearms and records are.  There are also regulations about having certain signs and paperwork posted.  
Personal firearms should be kept separately (a separate safe) or at minimum need to be tagged/labeled as personal firearms.

There are a couple guys who have posted in other forums who have been lax with the paperwork and ATF requirements that go along with being an FFL, and they have ended up in pretty bad shape.

It's not hard, but it is a PITA.  There are some guys who panic like they always do about ATF kicking down the door and shooting your dog, but really it's not a conspiracy, it's just one of those normal parts of the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the process takes a week...?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Usually no, but yeah I've heard of it happening before to small guys.

Side note, but thank you for reminding me it's probably time for a self-audit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on how many guns you push through your books since they look at every 4473 for the prior calendar year.  Ours only took a week, one of the bigger guys said he had around half a dozen IOI's in his place for several months digging through his records - but he has one of the bigger online retail sites.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Google Ares Armor.  What I say will hold no weight to those coming up behind me, but there's no way I'd subject my home to that sort of oversight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What does Ares Armor have to do with the OP?
 As far as "oversight", ATF does not have the right to search your sock drawer. Period. A compliance inspection is limited to the licensees bound book, 4473's, multiple sale forms and business inventory

Quoted:
From home? Tell me more.
This is the best part time job I've ever had, I wish I had started twenty years ago.

Dinner time? Who the heck schedules transfers during dinner? I never have.
I schedule transfers when its convenient for me.

Taking deliveries can also be a problem if you're not at your main location all the time.  Many dealers or individuals won't ship to an address if it's not listed on your FFL, and many require a signature, so you have to be home.
I've been using a UPS Store for the last six years. It is listed on my FFL. I do 2,000+ transfers a year and have only one or two dealers a year that refuse to ship to my shipping address. Some distributors will only ship to the premises..........so fuck them, I'll buy from someone else.

However - if you want to do it because it sounds interesting / fun / etc. then jump right in and go for it.  Lots of us have, and don't regret it.  But at low volume like you plan, I would think of it more like a hobby.

Quoted:
It'll take you quite a while to build up enough of a clientele  to get to $500 a month at $25/ transfer
Even if you put yourself on all of the normal FFL search engine sites right away.

That depends more on his location than just time. I'm in suburban Dallas.....I would guestimate that there's over a million people within a twenty minute drive of my home.
I did 12 transfers my first month (October '08, 20 the second, 39 the third month,(thanks to the first Obamapanic) It took a year to break 100 a month ............. I was only listed on Gunbroker and Auction Arms.

Quoted:

Sports South, Bill Hicks, Lipseys, Glock, S&W, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, Remington and several others happily ship to my UPS Store.
RSR does not. Guess how much I buy from RSR?
But that's only for firearms I buy...........90% of my business is transfers coming from dealers and individuals.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Depends on how many guns you push through your books since they look at every 4473 for the prior calendar year.  Ours only took a week, one of the bigger guys said he had around half a dozen IOI's in his place for several months digging through his records - but he has one of the bigger online retail sites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember, ATF compliance inspections are done during the licensees business hours. If your business hours are 5-8pm M-F...........your IOI isn't going to show up at 8am Monday morning. If he does tell him to come back later. If he has any sense he will know if you are home based and plan accordingly.
My IOI called on the second day of school (I'm a teacher) wanting to begin the inspection the next morning at 9am. I told him no way that was going to happen........and aren't my inspections supposed to be during my business hours? He said "well I have to have my car back at the motor pool by 530. he then asked if I could take a day off! Oh hell no!.......he then asked me to call him back when my school schedule allowed me to get home early. (two weeks later). He only asked to see my 4473's for the current year. He didn't look at all of them, probably a hundred or less. he was mostly interested in 4473's that involved a multiple sale of handgun.
He spent all of two hours at my dining room table. I haven't seen him since 2011.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That depends more on his location than just time. I'm in suburban Dallas.....I would guestimate that there's over a million people within a twenty minute drive of my home.
I did 12 transfers my first month (October '08, 20 the second, 39 the third month,(thanks to the first Obamapanic) It took a year to break 100 a month ............. I was only listed on Gunbroker and Auction Arms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I considered that in making my reply
With a higher potential customer base comes the higher number of pre-existing FFLs in a given area that he will be competing for customers with
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the bottom line on this Brad is that you can definitely make it work if you want to.  If you're a member of this board, there's a good chance that you sorta like this firearms stuff, and it might be a fun/good side job for you.  ;)
But the number of guys who get into it thinking it's easy, fun money, and end up quitting or losing their FFL after a year or two far outnumber the great success that Tom has had.

I don't know about the other guys, but I talk to probably at least 1-2 guys every week who say "yeah I'm thinking about getting my FFL so that I can make money handling transfers from home and pay for my habit."  For some reason, they always bring it up while we're waiting on their BGC to clear, too LOL.  Don't even get me started on the guys who think they could take the $5k they've saved up over the last couple years to open a shooting range so they can get rich.  For some reason everybody in Colorado wants to open a gun range right now.  Thankfully, you seem to be doing your research in advance, so you're not one of those guys who wander in clueless.

Shoot me a PM with your number if you want to chat sometime.  Colorado is a little unique with the new laws passed a year or two ago, be glad to share any deep thoughts or pros/cons.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the bottom line on this Brad is that you can definitely make it work if you want to.  If you're a member of this board, there's a good chance that you sorta like this firearms stuff, and it might be a fun/good side job for you.  ;)
But the number of guys who get into it thinking it's easy, fun money, and end up quitting or losing their FFL after a year or two far outnumber the great success that Tom has had.

I don't know about the other guys, but I talk to probably at least 1-2 guys every week who say "yeah I'm thinking about getting my FFL so that I can make money handling transfers from home and pay for my habit."  For some reason, they always bring it up while we're waiting on their BGC to clear, too LOL.  Don't even get me started on the guys who think they could take the $5k they've saved up over the last couple years to open a shooting range so they can get rich.  For some reason everybody in Colorado wants to open a gun range right now.  Thankfully, you seem to be doing your research in advance, so you're not one of those guys who wander in clueless.

Shoot me a PM with your number if you want to chat sometime.  Colorado is a little unique with the new laws passed a year or two ago, be glad to share any deep thoughts or pros/cons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I appreciate that.
I hear that too about opening a range. Between Rampart Range shutting down in 2009 in Colo Spgs and Pawnee getting tightened up outside of Ault, it's been weird. Granted they opened an official range up there and the new range right outside ft carson but still, I feel as though ranges are few and far between compared to other states.

Quoted:

With a higher potential customer base comes the higher number of pre-existing FFLs in a given area that he will be competing for customers with

Not going to lie, I've bounced between FFLs because it hasn't always been a pleasant experience. An arfcommer currently handles my transfers and it's been great.
Just because there are FFLs in town doesn't mean they're generating repeat customers.
Maybe I'm delusional or picky though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
....the number of guys who get into it thinking it's easy, fun money, and end up quitting or losing their FFL after a year or two ..
View Quote

This.
Rarely a week goes by that a customer doesn't quiz me on getting their own FFL. I've been in business six and a half years and have had six customers go on to get their own FFL.........only one is still active. Three are now back using me as their transfer dealer, one moved to Ft Worth, one moved out of state and the other literally lost his shirt. He was a laid off American Airlines employee that thought he could duplicate the success I have. His problem was he lived in a rural area about thirty miles north of DFW. I live in a city of 250,000. Despite my warnings he sunk the last bit of his savings into Gunbroker and tried selling those used guns at gun shows..........he wound up selling at a loss. Needless to say he had no business plan.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not going to lie, I've bounced between FFLs because it hasn't always been a pleasant experience. An arfcommer currently handles my transfers and it's been great.
Just because there are FFLs in town doesn't mean they're generating repeat customers.
Maybe I'm delusional or picky though.
View Quote

The whole reason I got my FFL was because the only stand-alone retail gun store in town back then was run by a cranky old guy who treated potential customers like crap.
I figured I could do as good as he was
The other FFLs in town were all  part timers like I am now
Nothing wrong with many FFLs, the more choices the better for buyers and the gun community overall.
Just don't expect to be the only guy in town ( unless you are and that's good in its own way if there was no one previously )
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My buddy keeps suggesting...
View Quote

Dumb question but why doesn't your buddy get his own FFL if it's such a great idea?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dumb question but why doesn't your buddy get his own FFL if it's such a great idea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he will but he lives out of town in a 2nd story apartment so it'd be even less condusive to a home based FFL I would think.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Maybe he will but he lives out of town in a 2nd story apartment so it'd be even less condusive to a home based FFL I would think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I applied for and received my initial FFL while living in a rented townhouse.
As long as the lease and zoning allow for home based businesses, it would be no different than property you own.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As long as the lease and zoning allow for home based businesses, it would be no different than property you own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right right. Just saying from a convenience standpoint
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#27]
i enjoy doing my home-based FFL business.  It's been profitable, but I don't know that I'll ever get over 200 transfers a year. I have a lot of repeat customers and i really enjoy just taking to them about their new gun, why they picked it, etc.  My next step will be the SOT, again, if it is barely profitable I will still enjoy it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I know home based ffl questions is beating a dead horse, but I have a somewhat unique situation. I'm looking for part time income.

I only work fri-sun, 8-10hrs each day. Basically part time, I'd have all week to schedule transfers/ do business. I'm thinking even time flexible home delivery for a small extra fee.

I also live right near a state line. Armslist is very popular here, but you can't  make a private sale legally across state lines. I could advertise my niche as being able to do on site legal transfers for across state private purchases.

Even if I only profit a few hundred a month I'd be good with it. But Id have to have some profit, I value my time off.

Is it legal to deliver to a in state buyer and complete the forms/check at their home? Is making transfers for in state buyers from an across the state line seller doable?  Would they have to meet at my business location or could I do that at their location?

These are only beginning thoughts for now. I know I'd have a ton more to study up On.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm thinking even time flexible home delivery for a small extra fee.
ATF regulations only allow a licensee to conduct business from his premises or a gun show/special event. "Home delivery" is a no go.

I also live right near a state line. Armslist is very popular here, but you can't  make a private sale legally across state lines. I could advertise my niche as being able to do on site legal transfers for across state private purchases.
You can transfer any firearm to residents of the state where you are licensed. A licensee can only transfer rifles and shotguns to out of state residents....no handguns, no AR lowers, no PGO shotguns, No frames or receivers.

Is it legal to deliver to a in state buyer and complete the forms/check at their home?
No.

Is making transfers for in state buyers from an across the state line seller doable?
Sure, that's the only way to do a transfer from someone out of state.

Would they have to meet at my business location or could I do that at their location?
The OOS seller can ship to you, deliver it to you or you could pick it up in their state.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I know home based ffl questions is beating a dead horse, but I have a somewhat unique situation. I'm looking for part time income.

I only work fri-sun, 8-10hrs each day. Basically part time, I'd have all week to schedule transfers/ do business. I'm thinking even time flexible home delivery for a small extra fee.

Even if I only profit a few hundred a month I'd be good with it. But Id have to have some profit, I value my time off.

Is it legal to deliver to a in state buyer and complete the forms/check at their home? Is making transfers for in state buyers from an across the state line seller doable?  Would they have to meet at my business location or could I do that at their location?

These are only beginning thoughts for now. I know I'd have a ton more to study up On.
View Quote

Somewhere, I remember reading a thread where someone was right across the state border, and made a decent amount of transfer money by handling out of state transfers for one of the big shops (Gander, Cabelas, etc. - something like that).  The big box store was right across the state line but had a lot of business from people who were in the other state.  Might be worth looking into...

As mentioned above, house calls are a no-go.  Buyers need to show up at your place of business, complete the forms and BGC there, etc.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My buddy keeps suggesting I get an FFL and do home based transfers with an eventual goal of an SOT and $50 suppressor transfers.

No disrespect to you guys that do it for a living but it sounds like hell to try to survive in this industry.

I have a stable career in sales and this endeavor won't be paying my bills or supporting my family. I'm solely interested in $500 in spending cash every month.

I know I need to check zoning as step one. Step two is a business plan - even for a side gig. I have a BA in Business Admin so I've got the basics on marketing, basic accounting, taxes and ins., etc.

I would be appointment only nights and weekends. My day job is in the same strip mall as a UPS store so I'd have everything delivered there.

My model would be No-nonsense $25 Transfers. I'm not a former SEAL or industry insider. Nobody cares what I think, the customer just wants their toy in a timely manner.

Am I crazy?
View Quote

No, but I'd recommend you only allow people that you personally know to use your "service" initially, then potentially expand it to include referrals from those individuals who you know -- but only after you tell them you only want referrals of people that THEY would invite to dinner at their house.

There's no reason to have strangers in your home for a $25 sale;  heck, even a $250 sale wouldn't be enough for me to allow that.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There's no reason to have strangers in your home for a $25 sale;  heck, even a $250 sale wouldn't be enough for me to allow that.
View Quote

Maybe we've just been lucky but over the years this has never been an issue; the only real ****bird we dealt with was a former friend.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe we've just been lucky but over the years this has never been an issue; the only real ****bird we dealt with was a former friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seven years, 7000+ transactions.........only one customer I had to ask to leave.
(He tried to have his son do the 4473/nics)
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Seven years, 7000+ transactions.........only one customer I had to ask to leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there you go - two guys prove I was completely wrong in my advice-giving.  I've been two-upped!    
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well there you go - two guys prove I was completely wrong in my advice-giving.  I've been two-upped!    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transfers bring in folks for a different reason than typical customers at a gun store.
I don't have browsers, finger fuckers, lookieloos or timewasters...............my customers have already selected and paid for their gun. All I do is the transfer. It's kind of like running background checks for kids on Christmas morning. They fill out the paperwork and they get their toy.

Most importantly, I don't have guys who want to negotiate on price or sketchy buyers rolling the dice on their NICS check.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Transfers bring in folks for a different reason than typical customers at a gun store.
I don't have browsers, finger fuckers, lookieloos or timewasters...............my customers have already selected and paid for their gun. All I do is the transfer. It's kind of like running background checks for kids on Christmas morning. They fill out the paperwork and they get their toy.

Most importantly, I don't have guys who want to negotiate on price or sketchy buyers rolling the dice on their NICS check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do the volume in transfers that Tom does, and have never had to ask/force anyone to leave.  But for what it's worth, even with small to modest volume, there have been a few characters that have made my wife and/or kids uncomfortable to have in the house, even if I was totally fine.  This may or may not be an issue for you and your situation, of course.  I'm sure you're familiar with gun people.  We're quite a mixture - you have your old Fudds, and your just-out-of-high-school-video-game-fanboys, your hates-the-government-guy, your loads-of-money-and-buys-all-the-cool-stuff guy, thinks-zombies-are-real-guy, etc.  Most guys will respect you are doing business in your home, but you're going to get the occasional guy who's got a healthy list of words your kids have never heard who likes to go on about how he's going to use that shotgun he just bought to hold off the oncoming Obama FEMA army when they come to take his stash of MREs next week.  

YMMV, but I "fixed" this problem by arranging most of my transfers to take place when the wife/kids aren't around - usually during the day when I work from home on my normal job and not nights/weekends like I had originally planned when I started out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top