Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2015 10:13:25 AM EDT
Have a question. Starting a firearms and safety business and going to get my FFL, I know the ATF changed what a gunsmith can do under a dealer license that may require them to get a manufactures license. With that said and this maybe a stupid question…if I had a dealer’s license with SOT would I be able to purchase parts then assemble them to make an SBR without the manufactures license? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My IOI says no. I had to get a Type 7, because we build ar's from parts, lowers are marked for me in Arizona.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Making guns from parts requires 07, add SOT if SBR.

If you just want to make 1 or 2 for personal use, use Form 1.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you have to register for ITAR, but from what I've read it "really" doesn't say you have to pay.  I ask because we are only interested in making SBR's and SBS's and not exporting, naturally selling and transferring Title II items as well and the more I think about it might be better off just selling and transferring.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know you have to register for ITAR, but from what I've read it "really" doesn't say you have to pay.
Where does it say that? If ITAR registration was free you would have thousands of 01FFL's getting their 07.

I ask because we are only interested in making SBR's and SBS's and not exporting,
It matters not one bit if you intend to export, only that you are manufacturing an item on the ITAR list....basically everything except sporting shotguns.

naturally selling and transferring Title II items as well and the more I think about it might be better off just selling and transferring.  Thanks for the info.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.

More questions…Started filling out the on-line FFL application and have a question.  I’m able to input information on Copy 1 – ATF Copy but not the others.  Do I make 4 copies of then send in 2 to the ATF, 1 to the CLEO and keep the last for myself?  We plan on adding the SOT at a later date as we get more money, however while it will make the “purse strings” a little tighter, would we be better off getting it now.  If I had to guess we’ll do more transfers than sales at first…would ATF be ok with that?   This one might be real stupid, I asked the question above about being able to build SBR’s with a standard FFL…thanks for the answers.  Would we be able to “upgrade” to manufactures license in the future without too much of a head ache?  We can’t pull that off now or we would.  Thanks for the help, again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do I make 4 copies of then send in 2 to the ATF, 1 to the CLEO and keep the last for myself?  
Correct, and be sure to copy both sides of the Form 7.

We plan on adding the SOT at a later date as we get more money, however while it will make the “purse strings” a little tighter, would we be better off getting it now.  
Only you know whether you will be able to profit from NFA transfers or sales. Ten NFA transfers @ $50 each covers your SOT.
No SOT means exactly zero income from NFA transfers or sales.

If I had to guess we’ll do more transfers than sales at first…would ATF be ok with that?  
ATF doesn't differentiate between transfer and sale..........to them they are one and the same.
90% of my transactions are transfers.

This one might be real stupid, I asked the question above about being able to build SBR’s with a standard FFL…thanks for the answers.  Would we be able to “upgrade” to manufactures license in the future without too much of a head ache?
You don't "upgrade"...you simply apply for another FFL. Same process for an 07 as an 01.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m able to input information on Copy 1 – ATF Copy but not the others.  Do I make 4 copies of then send in 2 to the ATF, 1 to the CLEO and keep the last for myself?
View Quote

You fill in Copy 1, the information transfers automatically to copies 2, 3, and 4.  You print out the whole thing, send copies 1 and 2 to ATF, 3 to CLEO, and keep 4 for your records.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Will it automatically print out...it doesn't "transfer" down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you using Adobe Acrobat reader?  If you're using a different app, try using that one--it works as I described for me.  If not, yes, you can just print four copies of Copy 1, but you shouldn't need to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks.

More questions…Started filling out the on-line FFL application and have a question.  I’m able to input information on Copy 1 – ATF Copy but not the others.  Do I make 4 copies of then send in 2 to the ATF, 1 to the CLEO and keep the last for myself?
View Quote

I just sent mine in last week.  Direct from the ATF website form 5310.12 instructions:

"The applicant only needs to submit copy 1 along with supporting documents to the address listed below. Copies 2 and 4 may be retained for the applicant’s record. Copy 3 must be submitted to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the premises sought to be licensed is located. Copy 1 should be mailed with payment, photograph(s), 1 fingerprint card and a signed Certification of Compliance (ATF F 5330.20) for each Responsible Person listed on the application to:"
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Next question.  I have some finger print cards I got from the ATF couple years back when I went through my SBR/SBS phase, with that said which one do I use...one has Atlanta, GA the other has Martinsburg, WV?  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Have interview tomorrow...I have a bunch of questions to ask...anything I should be on the lookout for or ask?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing to really look out for, but do ask questions. IOIs like a knowledgeable applicant...

ETA: Oh, and have all your business paperwork ready...
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nothing to really look out for, but do ask questions. IOIs like a knowledgeable applicant...  

ETA: Oh, and have all your business paperwork ready...
View Quote

^ THIS
It really made things smooth if you have your state/local biz related licenses and permits (like a reseller's permit) done, and copies for them to take.  Not necessary, but if its not a big expense in your state/locality, just get it done, and shows that you know (or somewhat know) what you're doing.  Officially, you have 30 days after you get your FFL to get your biz compliant with state/local regs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Got the FFL today...thanks for all the help.  Next dumb question...do I sign the original?  We're a LLC with two members, do both of us sign?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got the FFL today...thanks for all the help.  Next dumb question...do I sign the original?  We're a LLC with two members, do both of us sign?
View Quote

Make quality copies before you sign it. When doing FTF, copies must be signed in ink.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks...question about SOT...

Sending in for my SOT and have a couple questions about the 5630.7 Form.  What goes on line 3 and 11, we’re an LLC do I put my name or company name?  Lastly, I hope, our gross receipts are less than $500k, do I check box 12 and since we’re new do I also check box 13?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks...question about SOT...
Sending in for my SOT and have a couple questions about the 5630.7 Form.  What goes on line 3 and 11, we’re an LLC do I put my name or company name?  Lastly, I hope, our gross receipts are less than $500k, do I check box 12 and since we’re new do I also check box 13?  Thanks for the help.
View Quote
Your name as on your FFL application goes in box 3 under corporation. 11 depends on you FFL type and/or what SOT you're applying for, which determines what goes in line 12...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top