Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 9:36:58 PM EDT
Hi guys.. after a few months of debating, I decided to get my 01 FFL. I have a store front for another business (auto repair) and will be doing the FFL out of a spare office. I have a few questions about security.. I read up a good bit but still have some unanswered questions.

Do I need a gun safe? We have a safe on site for our other business, but its a smaller safe, it would fit pistols, but no rifles. Our building does have cameras and an alarm system, I'm sure she will see that as a plus.

Do I need a trigger lock during the time of the interview, would that suffice as "secure storage"? I have lockable drawers in my cabinets behind my desk also.  

Im guessing I need one or the other. I just don't want to run out and buy a $1000 safe until I get things up and running. At the same time, I want her to feel that I am taking this seriously.. as I am. I already have business cards printed and a fully functional website. Have the business license, zoning done, quickbooks, 4473's here, all the literature I could order from the ATF website, etc.. Its all waiting on her approval. Most of my transactions in the beginning will be custom orders and transfers. I don't plan on having any real inventory until I get my feet on the ground with it. She seemed very pleasant and easy going. She is coming Thursday (2/26/15) so if you guys think a gun safe is a very good idea I only have a few days to go and get one.

Also.. anything other pointers to have ready? I feel that I researched everything so much that I'm actually missing something!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No requirement for safe, but I have one.

Trigger locks are for selling handguns, not for you to use. Usually provided by distributor you bought handgun from. Can also be obtained from gun shows FREE IME.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I had mine on Thursday. It went well and she said I should have my FFL in 10 days or so.

She asked me if I had a safe and if she could see it.  I have 5. She saw the first one and was impressed, didn't need to see the rest, just told me to keep my personal collection separate.

I had my state business license, county business license, HOA letter, tax number , EIN, and copies of my work on hand. The only thing she asked for a copy of was the HOA.

Other than that I had bought a bound book and it was identical to the one she had as a demo and she seemed really impressed with that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I think I am going to run out and get a safe. I forgot to mention, I already have a professional bound book here and ready to go also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:....She asked me if I had a safe and if she could see it.....
View Quote

You should have said "no you can't".........since a safe isn't required by any ATF regulation or Federal law.

Basically its none of their damn business.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You should have said "no you can't".........since a safe isn't required by any ATF regulation or Federal law.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She asked if she could pet my dogs and if my parrot could talk and how long he lived. Guess I should have told her the same on those, too.

I did stick to my guns about not listing hours of operation, though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

She asked if she could pet my dogs and if my parrot could talk and how long he lived. Guess I should have told her the same on those, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listing your business hours on the application is a requirement, not an option.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for everybody.

" Because of the nature of opera-
tions conducted by a firearms con-
sultant or expert, any licensed dealer
who engages solely in this type of
business will not be required to main-
tain regular business hours
. If the
business is conducted from a private
residence, a separate portion of the
dwelling should be designated as
"business premises." Such premises
need not be open to all segments of
the public but only accessible to the
clientele that the business is set up to
serve. However, the licensed prem-
ises of the firearms consultant-expert
shall be subject to inspection under
the authority of 18
U.S.C. 923(g) and
27 CFR 178.23. "
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not for everybody.

. If the
the authority of 18
U.S.C. 923(g) and
27 CFR 178.23. "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for everybody.

. If the
the authority of 18
U.S.C. 923(g) and
27 CFR 178.23. "

Yup!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I think I am going to run out and get a safe. I forgot to mention, I already have a professional bound book here and ready to go also.
View Quote

Don't buy a gun safe unless you have a need for one. It will not appease the IOI for some unwritten security regulation. Having a gun safe does not mean you will not be approved. If the IOI asks if you have a safe, and you don't, just say no.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't buy a gun safe unless you have a need for one. It will not appease the IOI for some unwritten security regulation. Having a gun safe does not mean you will not be approved. If the IOI asks if you have a safe, and you don't, just say no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your input. In my post above I did mention I was going to run out and get one. I called around a few places today and the prices are not what I was ready to spend right now. I recently spent a lot on a gun safe at my house. Buying a safe right now is unnecessary and is only going to make it tougher for me to get this business into positive cash flow. We have a safe at the location that can and will house my paperwork, pistols, and silencers (after SOT), just not rifles. I have a lockable cabinet where any rifles could go if need be, the room has its own lock and there is an alarm and cameras. That should be just fine for now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for your input. In my post above I did mention I was going to run out and get one. I called around a few places today and the prices are not what I was ready to spend right now. I recently spent a lot on a gun safe at my house. Buying a safe right now is unnecessary and is only going to make it tougher for me to get this business into positive cash flow. We have a safe at the location that can and will house my paperwork, pistols, and silencers (after SOT), just not rifles. I have a lockable cabinet where any rifles could go if need be, the room has its own lock and there is an alarm and cameras. That should be just fine for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During my initial inspection the ATF guy told me they didn't care if I kept my guns in an open field so long as the bound book was in order and all guns were accounted for.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The safe was not an issue at all, I'm glad I didn't run out and buy one just for the sake of the interview. I will eventually get one as I want things to be secure but I'm not ready for one just yet.

I never replied about how my interview was. It was great, my IOI was very friendly, she was very knowledgeable and was able to answer any questions I had. She was impressed that I had all of my ducks in order. The only thing I needed to change on the application was.. since my parents owned the building, we had to draw up a simple 1 page lease saying they leased me the building and that firearm sells were allowed. Also the day before she came, I had applied for a federal EIN (because I found out you needed one for an SOT), she said it was better for me to scratch out my SSN and use the EIN. Other than that everything was fine. Interview was last Thursday, I asked her how long to expect before I see the license in the mail. She told me she was busy and couldn't write up the report until early this week and to expect my license in the mail within 2 weeks of our interview. So ill keep you guys posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top