Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2015 12:14:31 AM EDT
Hey guys I will keep this brief.

I called in a 4473 and the potential customer was denied. A couple of days later that same person brought in a gun and wanted repair work performed. I told him I was backed up with repairs and was not taking in any more guns for repair at the time.

So my question is: Is it lawful to accept a firearm, make repairs, and return it to a person who I know to have been denied on a background check?

Thanks for your help
jonblack
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Tough question - I'd ask to your local industry operations inspector (IOI) or refuse the work outright, since it's your license on the line, in the end.

The customer's denied may have been erroneous, but you as a licensee are prohibited from transferring to those you know, or reasonably believe to be prohibited persons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a no brainer. If you have any reason to believe (and a prior denial is a pretty good indicator) he is prohibited then you can not transfer a firearm to him. It's not worth the $ you'd make on the repairs to lose your license over.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So my question is: Is it lawful to accept a firearm, make repairs, and return it to a person who I know to have been denied on a background check?
View Quote

Sure you can. No law prevents it, and DENIED does not mean one is a prohibited person. I know several folks who have been DENIED and are GTG.

Now if he says, "I guess my old bank robbery conviction is what got me denied" then you cannot transfer a firearm to him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Is he appealing the denial on the one he tried to buy?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sure you can. No law prevents it, and DENIED does not mean one is a prohibited person. I know several folks who have been DENIED and are GTG.

Now if he says, "I guess my old bank robbery conviction is what got me denied" then you cannot transfer a firearm to him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but now the OP has reasonable cause to believe that the customer is a prohibited person. Can't deliver a firearm to a person in this circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, but now the OP has reasonable cause to believe that the customer is a prohibited person. Can't deliver a firearm to a person in this circumstances.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned, DENIED != Prohibited Person and Prohibited Person != DENIED

Each FFL makes their own decision what reasonable means. As pointed out, I have a customers who have been DENIED and I know they are not prohibited. I also have wannabe customers who would be approved no problem, but I know they are prohibited persons, so no sale.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys. When the customer was Denied he told me he had a restraining order previously but that it had been lifted. He brought in the court papers the next day to show me. I told him about the appeals process but do not know if he followed through.

jonblack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top