Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2014 11:37:55 AM EDT
So I have a meeting for my 07 FFL tomorrow and I just wanted to know if people had any tips or things to do/not to do. My space is already next to other established FFL's (same building) so most of the work was easily done.

But I had a phone call and was asked specific questions about machine tooling, what I would be selling, do I have advertising, etc. I was a bit thrown off so I might have not answered those correctly, but I didn't fudge anything badly. Is it possible to get rejected if I do not answer interview questions correctly in the eyes of the ATF?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Our interview was mot terribly difficult.  The agent that came was very familiar with the normal FFL procedures.  He didn't know anything about the NFA.  I would be ready to answer questions about your filing system for 4473's and other information.  Also be ready to discuss your hours of operation.  They beat that into us so that they could come and inspect if needed. Also be ready to discuss your firearm storage methods and make sure that you keep all of your personal gun out of the business unless properly labeled.  Overall it was not difficult.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also be ready to discuss your hours of operation.  They beat that into us so that they could come and inspect if needed.
What do you mean by "they beat that into us..." I presume you listed your business hours on your application....as required.

Also be ready to discuss your firearm storage methods.....
There is no ATF regulation requiring any particular method of storage. A licensee is not even required to lock the door. You could store your inventory in the shower stall of your bedroom and they can't do a thing about it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also be ready to discuss your hours of operation.  They beat that into us so that they could come and inspect if needed.

What do you mean by "they beat that into us..." I presume you listed your business hours on your application....as required.

There is no ATF regulation requiring any particular method of storage. A licensee is not even required to lock the door. You could store your inventory in the shower stall of your bedroom and they can't do a thing about it.

Yes the hours of operation were listed on the app "as required".  The intent was to discourage a home based FFL or one that was just to further his own collection.  

So do you feel it would be a wise to answer the inspectors question of where do you plan on storing your firearms being held for sale with "in the shower stall"?  

You are incorrect about the regulation about storage.   You seem to know everything anyway so I will let you figure out what the answer is.  OP shoot me a PM if you want the answer.  

I was able to successfully navigate the FFL process 3 times.  I currently have an FFL and am awaiting approval on my HE manufacturing license.  I was attempting to help someone on the board you are attempting to put me in my place.  Those were the questions that the inspector was the most concerned about so I passed the info to the OP.  This is not GD so keep your smart remarks to yourself.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
During my interview that I just had last week they also really tried to get a across that the filing system of the 4473 forms

Was really important to them.  They even told me how they would like me to store my 4473's so they could go through them

An  travel them from. the filing cabinet to the AD book.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
know a guy that placed  voice activated recorders here and there...
and he had OBVIOUS sec cams in place.
his went smooth.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes the hours of operation were listed on the app "as required".  The intent was to discourage a home based FFL or one that was just to further his own collection.  If your IOI was attempting to discourage you from operating from your home you should contact his/her supervisor immediately. No ATF regulation prohibits issuing a license to a dealer conducting business from his home. As long as you can legally operate a business from your proposed premises, you will be issued an FFL

So do you feel it would be a wise to answer the inspectors question of where do you plan on storing your firearms being held for sale with "in the shower stall"?  It's none of his business how you store or secure your firearms........only that you have them at your licensed premises or authorized storage location.

You are incorrect about the regulation about storage.   Really? Go ahead..................try and embarrass me with your superior knowledge smart guy.

You seem to know everything anyway so I will let you figure out what the answer is.  OP shoot me a PM if you want the answer.  If you are so sure of your knowledge why not share with all of us?

I was able to successfully navigate the FFL process 3 times.  I currently have an FFL and am awaiting approval on my HE manufacturing license.  I was attempting to help someone on the board you are attempting to put me in my place.  Those were the questions that the inspector was the most concerned about so I passed the info to the OP.  This is not GD so keep your smart remarks to yourself.  
My "smart remarks" are due to your ignorance of ATF regulations. Don't like it?.....then don't post bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the hours of operation were listed on the app "as required".  The intent was to discourage a home based FFL or one that was just to further his own collection.  If your IOI was attempting to discourage you from operating from your home you should contact his/her supervisor immediately. No ATF regulation prohibits issuing a license to a dealer conducting business from his home. As long as you can legally operate a business from your proposed premises, you will be issued an FFL

So do you feel it would be a wise to answer the inspectors question of where do you plan on storing your firearms being held for sale with "in the shower stall"?  It's none of his business how you store or secure your firearms........only that you have them at your licensed premises or authorized storage location.

You are incorrect about the regulation about storage.   Really? Go ahead..................try and embarrass me with your superior knowledge smart guy.

You seem to know everything anyway so I will let you figure out what the answer is.  OP shoot me a PM if you want the answer.  If you are so sure of your knowledge why not share with all of us?

My "smart remarks" are due to your ignorance of ATF regulations. Don't like it?.....then don't post bullshit.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see you know a lot about the FFL world but I don't see the need everytime someone asks something for you to answer in a way that seems like your trying to make them feel stupid. When someone obviously is asking for the benefit of doing the right thing

or learning ahead of time instead of their mistakes you seem to answer in a way that will really makes them less likely to answer questions in the future. With your knowledge you could definitely help people. I can tell you from my experience in the firearms business

and you should know this too that there are many misconceptions because of the way rules are wrote. Hell a lot of IOI's  tell people different answers to the same questions all the time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can see you know a lot about the FFL world but I don't see the need everytime someone asks something for you to answer in a way that seems like your trying to make them feel stupid. When someone obviously is asking for the benefit of doing the right thing
I will never belittle a new FFL or someone who is asking a question. I do find it objectionable when someone posts bullshit as if it's the law. There is way to much of that.

or learning ahead of time instead of their mistakes you seem to answer in a way that will really makes them less likely to answer questions in the future. With your knowledge you could definitely help people. I can tell you from my experience in the firearms business

and you should know this too that there are many misconceptions because of the way rules are wrote. Hell a lot of IOI's  tell people different answers to the same questions all the time.
Taking the verbal advice of an ATF IOI (or anyone on the internet for that matter) is the single worst thing a dealer can do. ATF regs aren't that difficult to read and understand. If you read and don't understand that's a different story.....but 99% of every question asked on this forum can be answered by reading the instructions on the Form 4473 or CFR Title 27 Part478.        
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will never belittle a new FFL or someone who is asking a question. I do find it objectionable when someone posts bullshit as if it's the law. There is way to much of that.

Taking the verbal advice of an ATF IOI (or anyone on the internet for that matter) is the single worst thing a dealer can do. ATF regs aren't that difficult to read and understand. If you read and don't understand that's a different story.....but 99% of every question asked on this forum can be answered by reading the instructions on the Form 4473 or CFR Title 27 Part478.        

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I see where your coming from. I guess seeing the same old misinformed bull can get a little old. I've heard a lot of the same crap myself over and over.

Some people haven't though. Some people don't read the regs at all and would rather have someone else explain it for them. Which can be bad if you don't

get the correct info back in return. Some read the regs and think they understand them but just want to confirm whether what they think is true to actually be

true. This is where I come in sometimes. I know and understand what I'm reading, most of the time, but just want to confirm.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Dogtowntom you are making MANY inferences from what I typed.  You are just as guilty as you are claiming I am.  You want to act like a dick in a non GD forum go ahead, I will not.  I will say that this is my experience with the inspector that gave us the approval. Your mileage may vary.  That said yours may be different and that is fine but you cannot in any say what I posted is factually incorrect.  

I never said that the inspector said that you couldn't have a home based FFL.  I said discouraged.  You inferred (Talked out of your ass) that he was trying to discourage a home based FFL.  What he was trying to do is let us know that you have to have regularly posted businesses hours.  I am sure that you are aware that that is clearly listed on page two of OMB No. 1140-0018  You have to make your books available for inspection with the proper notice.  I never said that there was any prohibition on home based ffl's.  You pulled that out of thin air.   I also added the part about not furthering your collection because that is one of the questions in the process Question 19 of OMB No. 1140-0018 . Just trying to help the OP.

You answered your own question about the storage of firearms.  You must store them " securely". See 18 U.S.C. 923 (d)(1)(G)  Most reasonable people would assume a shower stall is in no way secure, as you enter it to shower and exit after its over with no locking device. So your shower stall analogy would not play with an inspector. If you read the law you will see why.  Our particular inspector wanted to view the area we would be holding guns.  He also wanted to inspect our HE powder magazines as well.   He wanted to be very clear about storing personal guns with "company" guns.  It was discouraged as you would expect.  Without proper tagging you would appear to have guns that are not listed in you books.   That is a felony and a good point for an inspector to bring up.  

I find it hard to believe that you think that any of the above is "bullshit".  I sited the places in the application or code for you.  Just because you are reading things into what I type I cant help that.  If you just want to be an ass that is fine as well, my intent was to help the OP and I did.  

If you feel that anything that I have posted is incorrect then by all means whip out the code and demonstrate it for all of us.  If you don't want to do THAT then don't post your bullshit!

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#11]
they LIKE your hours of operation
to make there job easier ...
so when a home based FFL is only open sat 4am to 6 am
and sun 4am to 6 am its
OUT of there normal hours of 8to5 sat sun off.

and locks and or  locking devises --  available.
shower stall is,  silly yes, but its MOST LIKELY behind the bathroom door that HAS A LOCK.
play nice
i see BOTH of you trying to HELP...
don't stop helping , some of MY opinions are stupid too...  meh so what...
we all need to use our du-diligence and follow the law best as we can.

peaceout
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dogtowntom you are making MANY inferences from what I typed.  
No sir, I'm not "inferring" a damn thing.

You are just as guilty as you are claiming I am.  You want to act like a dick in a non GD forum go ahead, I will not.  I will say that this is my experience with the inspector that gave us the approval. Your mileage may vary.  That said yours may be different and that is fine but you cannot in any say what I posted is factually incorrect.  
Yes, I can. I pointed out your erroneous comments above.

I never said that the inspector said that you couldn't have a home based FFL.  I said discouraged.  You inferred (Talked out of your ass) that he was trying to discourage a home based FFL.  
It doesn't matter who said "discouraged"..........the simple fact is there is no ATF policy that allows an IOI to "discourage" a home based FFL. If you think he was trying to discourage you solely because you are home based........then report him. If you think I'm talking out of my ass......then you know less about ATF regs than you think.

What he was trying to do is let us know that you have to have regularly posted businesses hours.  
No. Such. Requirement.
While you are required to have "business hours"..............there is no ATF regulation that requires POSTING your business hours. If you don't know the difference then consult a lawyer.

I am sure that you are aware that that is clearly listed on page two of OMB No. 1140-0018  
First, if you are going to refer to ATF forms try to use the same form# as every other gun dealer..........it's called a Form 7.
Second, reread what you think the application is asking you to do in reference to your hours of business......it sure as hell doesn't say a damned thing about "posted business hours".

You have to make your books available for inspection with the proper notice.  I never said that there was any prohibition on home based ffl's.  You pulled that out of thin air.   I also added the part about not furthering your collection because that is one of the questions in the process Question 19 of OMB No. 1140-0018 . Just trying to help the OP.
You aren't helping when you don't know what you are talking about.

You answered your own question about the storage of firearms.  You must store them " securely". See 18 U.S.C. 923 (d)(1)(G)  Most reasonable people would assume a shower stall is in no way secure, as you enter it to shower and exit after its over with no locking device. So your shower stall analogy would not play with an inspector. If you read the law you will see why.  
For fucks sake
Don't quote what you don't understand.

18 U.S.C. 923 (d)(1)(G) ....in the case of an application to be licensed as a dealer, the applicant certifies that secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (subject to the exception that in any case in which a secure gun storage or safety device is temporarily unavailable because of theft, casualty loss, consumer sales, backorders from a manufacturer, or any other similar reason beyond the control of the licensee, the dealer shall not be considered to be in violation of the requirement under this subparagraph to make available such a device).

This regulation has to do with having gun locks available at your premises............NOT with securing your own firearms. Basically, if you sell a gun you need to have a gun lock or other safe storage device (like a lockable box) for the buyer.

Our particular inspector wanted to view the area we would be holding guns.  He also wanted to inspect our HE powder magazines as well.   He wanted to be very clear about storing personal guns with "company" guns.  It was discouraged as you would expect.  Without proper tagging you would appear to have guns that are not listed in you books.   That is a felony and a good point for an inspector to bring up.  
No shit. If you had read the regs you would have already known this.

I find it hard to believe that you think that any of the above is "bullshit".  I sited the places in the application or code for you.  Just because you are reading things into what I type I cant help that.  If you just want to be an ass that is fine as well, my intent was to help the OP and I did.  

If you feel that anything that I have posted is incorrect then by all means whip out the code and demonstrate it for all of us.  If you don't want to do THAT then don't post your bullshit!
I just did.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Tom is very knowledgeable and have spoken to him a number of times concerning ATF regs and procedures.  He has steered me in the right direction on where to find the info in the regs...not the fucking internet or some bullshit forum!  He knows his stuff and knows where to find it.  

I'm an FFL and have learned a great deal about being a gun dealer.  I am truly surprised at how many FFLs do not know their head from their ass!  Hell most have never even read the 4473 let alone the CFR.  Do yourself a favor...read the 4473, the CFR or call your IOI for direction or guidance on where to find the info in the regs.  DO NOT TAKE THEIR FUCKING WORD FOR ANYTHING UNLESS IT'S IN BLACK AND WHITE!!!  DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF BEFORE YOU ASK SOMEONE TO WIPE YOUR ASS FOR YOU!  

FINALLY DO NOT POST BULLSHIT STARTING WITH..."MY ATF AGENT SAID..."  
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
MY ATF IOI said, "I like your living room furniture."  I think she meant it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#15]
       You are now just being an obstinate ass.  You obviously know what I am saying you are just trying to be the interweb tough guy.  I will break it down really simple with pictures and definitions so you can understand.

1.  This is a screen cap of the application.  Call it what you want.

2.  This is the definition of the word Post;

post1

post/

announce or publish (something, especially a financial result).

If you are required to write the hours that you operate on an application you are Posting them.  It even goes so far as to say (Must be Completed).   If you have questions about that see number 1 and number 2.  You have once again inferred something that I did not say.  I did not say you had to have a sign or a billboard listing the hours you work.  You Must have hours and you must put them on the application.  

You answered your own question about the storage of firearms. You must store them " securely". See 18 U.S.C. 923 (d)(1)(G) Most reasonable people would assume a shower stall is in no way secure, as you enter it to shower and exit after its over with no locking device. So your shower stall analogy would not play with an inspector. If you read the law you will see why.

For fucks sake

Don't quote what you don't understand.

18 U.S.C. 923 (d)(1)(G) ....in the case of an application to be licensed as a dealer, the applicant certifies that secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (subject to the exception that in any case in which a secure gun storage or safety device is temporarily unavailable because of theft, casualty loss, consumer sales, backorders from a manufacturer, or any other similar reason beyond the control of the licensee, the dealer shall not be considered to be in violation of the requirement under this subparagraph to make available such a device).
This regulation has to do with having gun locks available at your premises............NOT with securing your own firearms. Basically, if you sell a gun you need to have a gun lock or other safe storage device (like a lockable box) for the buyer.

So you are saying that it would be perfectly acceptable to leave unlocked guns....say on a table in your front yard and that wold be an acceptable form of storage?  Just to be clear you don't think that the atf requires your guns to be stored securely?  

Our particular inspector wanted to view the area we would be holding guns. He also wanted to inspect our HE powder magazines as well. He wanted to be very clear about storing personal guns with "company" guns. It was discouraged as you would expect. Without proper tagging you would appear to have guns that are not listed in you books. That is a felony and a good point for an inspector to bring up.

No shit. If you had read the regs you would have already known this.

You are right internet tough guy....I didn't read the regs.  I just happened to have a stack of tags available for the inspector to see, as we had two transferable guns on the floor that were currently on a personal form 4.  They both happened to be labeled correctly.  That was obviously an accident as I didn't read the regulations.   That was for the OP not you.

George Carlin said

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

I think I am going to take his advice.  You seem to have this thread under control so I am bowing out.  Good day

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are required to write the hours that you operate on an application you are Posting them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you are required to write the hours that you operate on an application you are Posting them.

You're abusing the definition of "post" here.  Even the definition you posted ("to publish or announce") implies communicating to the public, and pretty much every relevant definition I've found centers on bringing to the public's attention.  See, for example, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/post:
Definition of POST

transitive verb
a :  to publish, announce, or advertise by or as if by use of a placard
b :  to denounce by public notice
c :  to enter on a public listing
d :  to forbid (property) to trespassers under penalty of legal prosecution by notices placed along the boundaries
e :  score <posted a 70 in the final round>
:  to affix to a usual place (as a wall) for public notices :  placard
:  to publish (as a message) in an online forum (as an electronic bulletin board)

If all you mean by "posted" is that you enter them on the Form 7, you're using a curious definition of the word.  But in that case, your unusual understanding of the word "posted" aside, you and DogtownTom are in agreement--the only thing you have to do with your business hours is enter them on the Form 7, and there's no requirement to put up a sign, list them in the Yellow Pages, post them on the Internet, etc.

You answered your own question about the storage of firearms. You must store them " securely". See 18 U.S.C. 923 (d)(1)(G)
...snippage...
So you are saying that it would be perfectly acceptable to leave unlocked guns....say on a table in your front yard and that wold be an acceptable form of storage?  Just to be clear you don't think that the atf requires your guns to be stored securely?

That's not how this works.  You said that the law/regs require FFLs to store their guns "securely".  When asked for a reference, you gave 18 USC 923(d)(1)(G).  You were wrong; that section has nothing to do with FFLs' storage of firearms in their inventory.  The question isn't what's a smart way to store them, or what's safe, or what your IOI would like to see--the question is what, if anything, does the law require.  Do you have any other legal reference that you believe requires FFLs to store guns "securely", or will you concede that you're wrong on this point?

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#17]
What he said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top