Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 5:05:12 PM EDT
Ok He seemed to already know that I have no what so ever zoning restrictions in my area for a home business and didn't need to do anything about that. He said I needed my state sales and use  tax id and federal EIN number.

Said he was coming to go over all the things I needed to know and give me all the proper paperwork to get started.

Question is will he tell you whether you've been approved during this meeting? Do they do the background check and that stuff before they setup the meeting?

I sent my stuff in the 24th of Oct and the check was cashed the 28th of Oct. So it seems like it's moving faster than I have seen lately with others on here. Meeting in less than a month actually right at 3 weeks.

Another question. Where is the best place to get bound books at for my sales, purchases and transfers?

Anything else you all might suggest to be ready for him? Oh yeah do they like search the house since it 's at my home or do  they just look over the space where you'll be doing the business at like my kitchen and dining rooms?

UPDATE: Had my interview today. Last about 2 hrs. Said I should have my ffl in about 2-3 weeks and if it took longer to call him.  Loaded me down with a ton of paperwork. Only brought me 1 4473 so I still have to order a packet of those. Have to order Delay/Deny

forms for customers, multiple handgun forms, and anything you guys think I should order on top of that. I already ordered a bound book from the book factory. Im getting a business account, credit card machine, business phone, and fax machine today. I've started

looking at wholesalers like Lipseys and you have to be approved by most all of them to purchase guns. How long does that take usually?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Who the hell is coming over?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who the hell is coming over?
View Quote

Probably the IOI for his initial interview.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...He said I needed my state sales and use  tax id and federal EIN number.
While not required prior to the interview, it is required before you begin business operations.

Said he was coming to go over all the things I needed to know and give me all the proper paperwork to get started.
They call it an interview, but its really an orientation meeting.

Question is will he tell you whether you've been approved during this meeting?
Usually

Do they do the background check and that stuff before they setup the meeting?
Yes

Where is the best place to get bound books at for my sales, purchases and transfers?
Brownells sells the cheapest. You can also make your own. Someone should be along to post a link to the really nice ones that cost significantly more than the cheap Brownells books.

Anything else you all might suggest to be ready for him?
Hide your dog....it's the ATF.

Oh yeah do they like search the house since it 's at my home or do  they just look over the space where you'll be doing the business at like my kitchen and dining rooms?
To search your home or licensed premises they will need a search warrant signed by a judge.
They will ask where you plan to store your firearms/4473's/bound books. That's all they will care about when or if they ever come by for a compliance inspection.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as a bound book just make your own. I made one on Excel using the format set forth by BATFE. There's a local Smith that has been in business here for well over 40 years that uses nothing more than a note book, ruler and an ink pen.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit the ATF Firearms section of their web site and poke around. Read some of the past newsletters, the FAQ page, etc. Have some questions ready. The IOI wants to answer your questions and educate you. Take advantage of that. Being engaged will show that you're invested in the process.

The IOI will look around, briefly. Be prepared to talk about your approach to security (security system, cameras, alarms).

One thing to key on is when they mention "best practices." That's when you want to nod and agree.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Our time lines seem to be fairly close:

- Paperwork sent 10/21.

- Card charged 10/25 (a Saturday, so they probably used 10/27).  

- Had my "interview" on 11/17.

When my IOI called to set it up, I told her what I had (County business license and zoning approval, LLC paperwork from the State, State tax ID, Federal EIN) and asked what else I needed.  She said I was already ahead of the game and that the "interview" wasn't an interview, but just a "mini-education".

During the "interview":

- I showed her my paperwork and she confirmed it was all good to go,

- She went over my application with me, we had a couple of small edits to make, she had me line through, write the correction, and initial.

- She gave me the check list of forms/topics and asked that after each was covered and any questions I had were answered that I initial the box.

- We went over the various forms, the bound book, the pamphlets, the posters, etc.,.  

- I explained my understanding of "gunsmithing" vs. "manufacturing" and she said I was spot on.

- Asked for minor clarification on a few things

That was it.. took about 1.5 hours start to finish.  If you are going to be involved in more than transfers/sales from your location/gunsmithing, yours may take longer.

My IOI was very pleasant and very competent.

My advice to you:  If something your IOI says differs from your understanding, GET CLARIFICATION.. If you're wrong and you get busted for it, saying "that's not what the interwebz says!" won't help you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Update: Called to check on my license at the license center in West Virginia. Found out that my license was issued on the 9th of December, so yesterday. They said it went into the mail yesterday or today I couldn't understand what she said.

Should be here in Kentucky by Friday or Saturday I would think. Time to get the business going. Can't wait. Wish me luck, things are slow in the gun community right now. I don't have much overhead so most of my profit will go in the bank instead

of bills. At least for right now. I do plan on building inventory and opening a store inside of a year. Or at least that's my goal.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
What are delay deny forms?????
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are delay deny forms?????
View Quote

The FBI NICS brochures you hand to a customer that gets denied, or one that is always delayed, so they can appeal a denial, get a UPIN, etc.

You don't really need the brochures, I just have the URL for all the info the customer needs bookmarked, which I send via email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top