Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 6:26:38 PM EDT
New question that I figured deserved it's own thread.

If your an 07 and you want to SBR a rifle (or convert it to mg, sbs, etc) but say the amount of work needed to be done is above your level of expertise, is it ok to have a gunsmith do the work then you can fill out the Form 2?

Or do you have to take the long route and give it to an SOT, and then wait for him to transfer it to you?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it all depends on what the smith is doing, what they're licensed to do and where they're doing the work.  You're not going to be able to drop off a complete rifle and have him SBR it for you if he's not a 07 C2. If you just need a barrel turned down, buy a used lathe and some tooling.

Also, I'm assuming you're a 07 C2?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
F1 is a "Mother May I?"  F2 is "Hey Ma, lookie at what I just did!"

For an SBR you can't chop and re-crown the barrel send it out.  When it comes back assemble your SBR and file the F2.  Remember you'll need to engrave the receiver also.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought I read somewhere that a gunsmith with an 01 FFL can perform gunsmith work on NFA stuff such as SBRs
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
New question that I figured deserved it's own thread.

If your an 07 and you want to SBR a rifle (or convert it to mg, sbs, etc) but say the amount of work needed to be done is above your level of expertise, is it ok to have a gunsmith do the work then you can fill out the Form 2?

Or do you have to take the long route and give it to an SOT, and then wait for him to transfer it to you?
View Quote

Anyone can do the work if you're present and don't transfer possession. The work that physically changes the firearm's classification must be done by you at your premises or without you transferring the firearm out.

For an SBR in an AR type you can send the upper off to have the barrel shortened, but not send off the whole rifle to be sent back as an SBR (unless you have an ATF variance in place to allow another FFL/SOT to do that work on your behalf)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.

What if I wanted to have someone convert an AR15 lower into FA? Could I go to a gunsmith, stand by while he does the work, take it back to my place and file the F2?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.

What if I wanted to have someone convert an AR15 lower into FA? Could I go to a gunsmith, stand by while he does the work, take it back to my place and file the F2?
View Quote

I'd say no, as it's not at the address on your 07,C2.  Depending on the shelf, buy a jig and do it yourself.
IMO your asking about pretty simple machining operations.  I'd recommend taking a machining 101 class and as stated earlier invest in a mill and lathe.   You can write it off at the end of the year, save money by doing it yourself, and learn a lot about guns.  Be very careful about trying to cut corners with NFA items, as there is no leniency.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I will definitely be taking some sort of machine class. Are there ones directed for firearms machining?

Unfortunately I know very little about machines/tools. Most NFA stuff can be done with changing out some screws or light drill work.

But for the stuff that requires actually machining I guess I'll have to learn it myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:What if I wanted to have someone convert an AR15 lower into FA? Could I go to a gunsmith, stand by while he does the work, take it back to my place and file the F2?
View Quote

Absolutely not legal.  Learn to do it yourself, it's one of the easiest conversions out there.

ETA: If you're registering post-samples make sure you pay your ITAR each year since R&D isn't a legitimate reason to file a Form 2.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks.

View Quote

Wouldn't that be like taking an 80% lower to someone and have them do all the work?

In your case, they would be manufacturing a machine gun and not you specifically.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

As noted above, no... however you could engrave it and drill the sear hole and file the Form 2 and it's now legally an MG.

You could then send the MG off to be hogged out by another FFL, as that's just repair work bringing your now-MG into spec.

It's less hassle and avoids potential gray areas to just do the work yourself, though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone. I'm not looking to take chances, I'll make sure the work is done at my place by me.

One last question. There's no issue with inviting someone to my office to teach me how to do it, correct? As in he can stand next to me and instruct me on what to do, maybe even help with some of the super hard parts.

Or does it 100% have to be only me?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone. I'm not looking to take chances, I'll make sure the work is done at my place by me.

One last question. There's no issue with inviting someone to my office to teach me how to do it, correct? As in he can stand next to me and instruct me on what to do, maybe even help with some of the super hard parts.

Or does it 100% have to be only me?

View Quote

Someone can stand next to you and tell you want to do, but they can't do any work, unless they are employed by you under your FFL or whatever it's called.

Other than that, 100% you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top