Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 11:00:52 AM EDT
Let's say you purchase a AR type stripped receiver from Joe Blow at a gun show. He claimed it to be never built, and you log it in as a receiver.  You sell said receiver to Herby Handcock, as a receiver, who builds an AR pistol. Well Herby gets into some trouble and some ATF agent researches the receiver and finds out it left the factory as a rifle. ATF tracks down Joe who is a LEO and claims he sold it to you, the dealer, as a complete rifle. ATF tracks you down and you claim it was a receiver and your A&D book and 4473 reflect that.  Who, if anyone will the hammer smack?  
It's not required by ATF, but to CMA and for accounting reasons, I require a signed detailed BOS for all firearms and serial numbered accessories.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody as none of the parties knowingly or intentionally broke the law.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody as none of the parties knowingly or intentionally broke the law.
View Quote

This,
Nothing illegal occurred.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Scratching head on this one.

I buy 2 virgin receivers.  Build them both as rifles.  I sell the uppers, stocks, & parts kits, give one receiver to my brother.  He knows it started as a rifle, but he builds a pistol anyway.  The other stripped receiver I sell here on the EE & falsely claim it's virgin.  The ARFCOMmer also builds a pistol.  Did my brother break the law?  Did the ARFCOMmer?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
So once discovered that the receiver/pistol was originally a rifle, wouldn't it have to be disassembled?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I buy 2 virgin receivers.  Build them both as rifles.  I sell the uppers, stocks, & parts kits, give one receiver to my brother.  He knows it started as a rifle, but he builds a pistol anyway.  The other stripped receiver I sell here on the EE & falsely claim it's virgin.  The ARFCOMmer also builds a pistol.  Did my brother break the law?  Did the ARFCOMmer?
View Quote

In this case there is no record of them actually being built so it cant really be proven.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In this case there is no record of them actually being built so it cant really be proven.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if I'd posted my twin rifle build piece by piece in glowing color on ARFCOM?  Where is the bright line?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

A stripped lower can be built into a rifle and later into a pistol.
A pistol can be built to a rifle and later a pistol also.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No but thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a cite for that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I'm not mistaken, legally, only on a Form 1.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And if I'd posted my twin rifle build piece by piece in glowing color on ARFCOM?  Where is the bright line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then you screwed yourself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Err...I meant the other way around.

A stripped lower can be built into a pistol and later into a rifle and back to a pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top