Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 3:42:36 PM EDT
How does this work, does the FFL dealer change the customer per transaction or per item?  Say I buy 10 stripper lowers and have them shipped to a FFL dealer does he charge me say $25 (transaction fee) per lower or $25 total for the transaction?

Thanks for any info
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on each FFL
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Most dealers will give a quantity discount. You still only have to run one NICS check on 10 lowers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Every dealer is different. Some will charge a flat rate regardless of the amount, some charge per firearm, some charge extra after a certain number, some charge a separate rate for stuff they carry.  Some dealers won't transfer that many lowers to one person at one time because of fear of da man.  Call around and ask.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
What it is, me and a couple of friends want to buy some lowers, and one FFL wants $25 per lower to transfer instead of $25 per person.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What it is, me and a couple of friends want to buy some lowers, and one FFL wants $25 per lower to transfer instead of $25 per person.
View Quote

He is completely within his rights to charge you and your friends as he wants.  You and your friends are completely within your rights to use a different FFL.  Now if he is the only FFL in your state, I'd say you are kind of stuck with him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Find another dealer who will work with you.

Scroll to the bottom and there is a section you can enter your zip and it will show the FFL's in your area and sometimes the cost of transfers.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
....Say I buy 10 stripper lowers.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What you better be concerned with is the dealer refusing to complete the transaction at all.

First you say "I buy...", then it becomes "me and a couple of friends...."

You damn well better be clear and upfront with your dealer on EXACTLY who the actual buyer/transferee is...........because the dealer may refuse it if you negotiate the transaction, and then three dudes show up to get their lowers.

If you buy multiple lowers with the intent to resell them to your friends............it's a federal crime.
if you buy multiple lowers on behalf of another person...........it's a federal crime.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What you better be concerned with is the dealer refusing to complete the transaction at all.

You damn well better be clear and upfront with your dealer on EXACTLY who the actual buyer/transferee is...........because the dealer may refuse it if you negotiate the transaction, and then three dudes show up to get their lowers.

If you buy multiple lowers with the intent to resell them to your friends............it's a federal crime.
if you buy multiple lowers on behalf of another person...........it's a federal crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me totally clear me and a couple of friends want to buy some lowers
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
i was under the impression the purchaser had to pick them up.  If Harry buys ten lowers harry needs to pick up the ten lowers.  What he does after that is Harry's problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He is completely within his rights to charge you and your friends as he wants.  You and your friends are completely within your rights to use a different FFL.
View Quote

This.  The FFL can charge however he wants--flat fee per transferee, flat fee per item, $x for first item and $y for each additional on the same transaction, hourly rate, extra charge because he doesn't like the color of your shoes, no charge at all, whatever.  There is no law, regulation, rule, or industry standard on the subject.  If you don't like the fee arrangement that this FFL is proposing, either negotiate to improve it or find another FFL.  If you've already had the lowers shipped to this FFL, you're kind of stuck--should have investigated this first.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i was under the impression the purchaser had to pick them up.  If Harry buys ten lowers harry needs to pick up the ten lowers.  What he does after that is Harry's problem.
View Quote

Well, yeah......that's what I wrote above. And it's not just Harry's problem.....if the dealer believes harry is not the actual buyer he cannot complete the transaction.

Only the actual buyer/transferee can complete the 4473/NICS.

If Harry buys ten lowers they better be for Harry or to be given as gifts. Harry cannot buy firearms from a licensed dealer with the intent to resell them to friends later.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.  The FFL can charge however he wants--flat fee per transferee, flat fee per item, $x for first item and $y for each additional on the same transaction, hourly rate, extra charge because he doesn't like the color of your shoes, no charge at all, whatever.  There is no law, regulation, rule, or industry standard on the subject.  If you don't like the fee arrangement that this FFL is proposing, either negotiate to improve it or find another FFL.  If you've already had the lowers shipped to this FFL, you're kind of stuck--should have investigated this first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is completely within his rights to charge you and your friends as he wants.  You and your friends are completely within your rights to use a different FFL.

Thank you, that's what I was wanting to know.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I generally charge per item.
Very rarely I used to consider cutting the per item rate if someone was buying 6 lowers, for instance
Usually only done for repeat guys who'd been through the door a lot of times for previous transfers
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Dealers around here prior to December 2012 would charge a flat rate transfer fee. $15 for one gun or $15 for 10 guns. It didn't matter.

When the panic hit, a lot of people would buy onesies and twosies here and there and have the dealer hold onto them until the buyer had a bunch of guns stored at the dealer's shop so they only had to pay $15 for the transfer. The dealers got pissed and changed their ways to $25 per gun,
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I charge per shipment/transaction.  If you get 20 firearms in one shipment and pick them up in one transaction, it's one fee.

If you get 20 firearms from 20 different shippers and pick them up in one transaction, it'll cost you up to 20 times the basic transfer fee, but still only one background check fee ($10 to the state, here, to exercise your constitutional rights).  I've charged a reduced fee in the past for several shipments received, but picked up at one time, provided it was for a good, repeat customer and they're not going crazy using me as their free gun storage unit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I charge per item.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top