Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2014 10:04:10 AM EDT
Can I purchase an AR receiver face to face from an adjoining state?  I would do a 4473 and abide by my state's waiting period etc.  i have looked at the ATF website and can't find an answer.  I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but can't find any definite answers.

Thanks, Will
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Out-of-state face-to-face is not legal. Have the seller bring it or ship it to your dealer.

From ATF FAQs

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I cannot purchase an AR receiver from a FFL dealer in an adjoining state?  I've bought long guns from neighboring states.  Do you know where i can find the ins and outs of this on the ATF website?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, I saw face-to-face and assumed private sales.  But still, you cannot buy a receiver when visiting another state.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
That is what I'm sensing, but cannot come up with a definite letter from the ATF about it.  Oh well, i guess my current AR pistol will have to work for now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
The reason is the law states your can purchase rifles or shotguns when visiting another state, but since a receiver is neither a rifle nor shotgun....  18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

You can have the dealer in the other state ship it to a dealer in your state however.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I just thought building a new AR when on vacation next week would be fun, but I will have to wait until I get back.  Thanks for all of your input!
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The reason is the law states your can purchase rifles or shotguns when visiting another state
View Quote

From a licensee in another state, not just purchase in general.  

Private face to face sales are only legal in your own state of residence, with another resident of your state.  All other transactions end up involving an FFL in one way or another.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I only know for Texas and Louisiana, but I cannot buy any gun other than a long gun in an adjoining state. A receiver is not a long gun. Pistols, pistol grip shot guns, and receivers would have to be sent to my FFL and visa versa.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
In short, no.  If your state law allows it you can sell a long gun to out of state residents, but a stripped receiver has the ability to be classified as a pistol and therefore is treated as a handgun in terms of transfer (21, instate resident, etc.).  If you assemble it as a rifle or deem it a rifle then you're good to go, but that's an incidence of manufacture (07 or 10 and FET if over your 50/yr) and that rifle can never be a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In short, no.  If your state law allows it you can sell a long gun to out of state residents, but a stripped receiver has the ability to be classified as a pistol and therefore is treated as a handgun in terms of transfer (21, instate resident, etc.).  If you assemble it as a rifle or deem it a rifle then you're good to go, but that's an incidence of manufacture (07 or 10 and FET if over your 50/yr) and that rifle can never be a pistol.
View Quote

Has nothing at all to do with "ability to be classified as a pistol".

Federal regulations governing FFLs prevent them from selling ANY firearms to any person under 21 years of age.  Be it a handgun, receiver, machinegun, sound suppressor, whatever.  There is then an exception which allows FFLs to transfer complete rifles and complete shotguns to persons over 18 years of age, and to residents of any state, provided the FFL's state and buyer's state laws permit it.  

THAT is the reason out of state buyers cannot purchase handguns or receivers or machineguns from a dealer outside their own state, not some imagined ability to be classified as a handgun.

Dealers or persons cannot "deem it a rifle" to allow an out of state purchaser to acquire one, whether the out of state purchaser is 18, 21, or 90...

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Federal regulations governing FFLs prevent them from selling ANY firearms to any person under 21 years of age.  Be it a handgun, receiver, machinegun, sound suppressor, whatever.  There is then an exception which allows FFLs to transfer complete rifles and complete shotguns to persons over 18 years of age, and to residents of any state, provided the FFL's state and buyer's state laws permit it.  

THAT is the reason out of state buyers cannot purchase handguns or receivers or machineguns from a dealer outside their own state, not some imagined ability to be classified as a handgun.

Dealers or persons cannot "deem it a rifle" to allow an out of state purchaser to acquire one, whether the out of state purchaser is 18, 21, or 90...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top