Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2014 11:40:55 AM EDT
I have had a FORM 4 come back for a gentleman that lives quite a ways away from me, but in Ohio.  I would like to take care of the 4473 by mail if that is possible, and mail the can to him directly.  I know Silencer Shop does this in Texas, using Eforms 4473.  Is it neccassary to use E 4473?  Reason I ask is I cannot get the ATF e-4473 program to work on my MAC, no matter what I have tried.  Mailing the 4473 to the individual and mailing it back to me an acceptable alternative?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have had a FORM 4 come back for a gentleman that lives quite a ways away from me, but in Ohio.  I would like to take care of the 4473 by mail if that is possible, and mail the can to him directly.  I know Silencer Shop does this in Texas, using Eforms 4473.  Is it neccassary to use E 4473?  Reason I ask is I cannot get the ATF e-4473 program to work on my MAC, no matter what I have tried. Mailing the 4473 to the individual and mailing it back to me an acceptable alternative?
View Quote

This is required since they must sign it. Handwritten or electronic does not matter.

http://www.silencershop.com/buying-options/
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered trying another computer?

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I cannot get the ATF e-4473 program to work on my MAC, no matter what I have tried
View Quote

So download and install free VirtualBox software, and install a copy of some form of Windows on your Mac if/when you need to run E4473.  If you don't have any copies of any version of Windows and are too cheap to buy one, you can install any copy and it'll run for a few days at a time before it stops working unless activated with microsoft.

If you want to mail paper back and forth, be sure to look up and read the instructions for Form 4473, Part 2 (Intrastate Non-Over-The-Counter)
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
We do it all the time.  Here's some info for you.

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/procedure_2013-2_-_non-over-counter_form_4473_9-25-13.pdf
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, wut?  If you've got a complaint state CCL your dealer can ship gunz to yer' house?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait, wut?  If you've got a complaint state CCL your dealer can ship gunz to yer' house?  
View Quote

State law may vary of course, but yes as far as the Fed is concerned.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This could be very 'spensive problem.  There was a reason I had not sought a C&R.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.96

§ 478.96 Out-of-State and mail order sales.
(a)  The provisions of this section shall apply when a firearm is purchased by or delivered to a person not otherwise prohibited by the Act from purchasing or receiving it.

(b)  A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer may sell a firearm that is not subject to the provisions of § 478.102(a) to a nonlicensee who does not appear in person at the licensee's business premises if the nonlicensee is a resident of the same State in which the licensee's business premises are located, and the nonlicensee furnishes to the licensee the firearms transaction record, Form 4473, required by § 478.124. The nonlicensee shall attach to such record a true copy of any permit or other information required pursuant to any statute of the State and published ordinance applicable to the locality in which he resides. The licensee shall prior to shipment or delivery of the firearm, forward by registered or certified mail (return receipt requested) a copy of the record, Form 4473, to the chief law enforcement officer named on such record, and delay shipment or delivery of the firearm for a period of at least 7 days following receipt by the licensee of the return receipt evidencing delivery of the copy of the record to such chief law enforcement officer, or the return of the copy of the record to him due to the refusal of such chief law enforcement officer to accept same in accordance with U.S. Postal Service regulations. The original Form 4473, and evidence of receipt or rejection of delivery of the copy of the Form 4473 sent to the chief law enforcement officer shall be retained by the licensee as a part of the records required of him to be kept under the provisions of subpart H of this part.

(c)

(1)  A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer may sell or deliver a rifle or shotgun, and a licensed collector may sell or deliver a rifle or shotgun that is a curio or relic to a nonlicensed resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business is located if—

(i)  The purchaser meets with the licensee in person at the licensee's premises to accomplish the transfer, sale, and delivery of the rifle or shotgun;

(ii)  The licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer complies with the provisions of § 478.102;

(iii)  The purchaser furnishes to the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer the firearms transaction record, Form 4473, required by § 478.124; and

(iv)  The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States.

(2)  For purposes of paragraph (c) of this section, any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer is presumed, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both such States.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm new to this.  How does a dealer in one town use eforms with a buyer in another town?

ETA: Ok, I see some software out there by AIMI, but they don't have any more slots for it this year.  I wonder why we can't just send a fillable pdf 4473 to the customer, and let them fill it out then electronically sign it?  I use Right Signature for my tax business, and it lets me put a signature box anywhere I want on a form.  The customer can sign it on a phone or tablet.  I know eforms helps to eliminate errors, but doing it in the way I just described is workable and cuts out snail mail.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Use the program to fill out the form, print it and mail it.

"e4473" is just a form filler, not an electronic filing system like atfonline.gov/eforms/
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Use the program to fill out the form, print it and mail it.

"e4473" is just a form filler, not an electronic filing system like atfonline.gov/eforms/
View Quote

I was questioning how the customer in another town accesses the e4473.  I see now that with the right software the store can let the buyer login from another location, but the AIMI isn't allowing any more users.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top